Oil analysis found potential problems: coolant and high metal content in oil! - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
illig
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX 5AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Oil analysis found potential problems: coolant and high metal content in oil!

I don't drive a lot (~6K/mi year or so), and use Mobile 1 synthetic, so i was curious if leaving my oil in my car longer than one year was having any negative effects on my orange baby. A few weeks ago, i did my oil change (8K/mi after the last one) and sent a sample of the oil to Blackstone labs for analysis.

Here are the results:

As you can see, there are several caution flags:

1. Lots of metal. Iron is particularly high, but there's also higher than expected aluminum, chromium, lead, and tin. Blackstone labs think this is wear from the block, pistons, rings, cylinders, and bearings.

2. Some potassium/sodium - Which Blackstone thinks indicate antifreeze in the oil.

I discussed this with my dad who does chemical engineering for lubricant oil manufacturers, and he believes that these might have been from contamination, since the viscosity and TBN are still very high (basically, i could've easily done another 5K/mi on this oil). As far as contaminants - he said that some rust in the sample, along with some road salt would produce similar results - and since i didn't exactly power wash my undercarriage after winter, this is possible.

Still - i'd like to get your opinion on what if any diagnostic I could do to see if the problems really exist. I'm thinking:

1. Watch the level of the coolant - see if any disappears (I did add some coolant recently, but that was literally the 1st time I checked the level since i bought the car)

2. Do a radiator pressure test to see if there's any headgasket/head issues?

3. More frequent oil changes? Dad thinks this is a waste since the oil properties are still very good.

4. Something else?
illig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Dom.five
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2006 4WD EXS AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

That does not look good. I would start with a compression test on all cylinders. If the head gasket is leaking, most likely it will show up then. If it does not show wide/large difference in compression between the cylinders, then you may be looking at another issue.

The other possibility, is the obvious. Infrequent operation of an engine, can and will allow the allow the oil to drain off the cylinder walls, and other moving parts. This can contribute to the elevated levels you are seeing. I would suggest that you change the oil sooner the next time, and have it tested. See if that helps.

It's the Iron, Potassium, and Molybdenum levels that bother me.

Dom
Home made Grill guard, Blacked out lower front bumper trim,and Grill, Undercoating, Vent-Visors, Bug deflector, EOC Sticker, Honda Floor mats, Honda Wheel locks, Eurotech Engineering Fog lights, Dual tone Horn from a junk Caddie, Oh and the 2.98$ walfart windshield tint strip, that's got to go when EOC puts one out. U-haul hitch with factory Honda harness. Garmin GPSmap276C True, I've been IRV'ed , : Misfits waNNAbe's

We love our E's !! ___ We are A 2 E family !

Last edited by Dom.five; 04-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Dom.five is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.