Squeek? Chirp? ARGH!!! - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Tater
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2009 4WD EX AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

Squeek? Chirp? ARGH!!!

My 09 E just started having a squeek, or chirping sound that seems to be coming from the dash area on the passenger side.....sounds like a irate cricket when I hit a bump. It's fairly loud, so I'm not sure if I could explain it away as suspension noise, but it's driving me nuts! This is one of those things that I would hate to have a dealer mess with for fear of them taking apart the dash and making it worse. ARGH! (That was in honor of yesterday being "Talk like a pirate day"!
Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just accept the fact that I will slowly go insane while driving?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
stgeorge
2009 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
My 09 E just started having a squeek, or chirping sound that seems to be coming from the dash area on the passenger side.....sounds like a irate cricket when I hit a bump. It's fairly loud, so I'm not sure if I could explain it away as suspension noise, but it's driving me nuts! This is one of those things that I would hate to have a dealer mess with for fear of them taking apart the dash and making it worse. ARGH! (That was in honor of yesterday being "Talk like a pirate day"!
Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just accept the fact that I will slowly go insane while driving?

Thanks in advance!
Have your spouse/friend/whoever drive it around while you try and isolate more precisely where the noise is coming from. I have had good luck with dealers (mine, at least) when I can show them exactly where the noise is coming from.

Oh, and both the annoying noises I ran into ultimately turned out to be things that had to do with the doors or strike plates needing adjustments, though it didn't sound like it at first.
stgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Tater
2009 4WD EX AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

I am such a dork!
Over the weekend I had my son sit in the passenger seat and try to isolate where the sound was coming from to no avail. He was a bit too preoccupied with texting his girlfriend to be of any real assistance. So this morning, with my angry cricket chirping like mad, I tried the same exercise with my daughter, who was equally as useless. However, the one thing she did, was check her make-up in the passenger side vanity mirror. Once she finished, she swung it back up, but then "snapped" it back into the little clip that holds it secure. I asked her if it was clipped in before she used it, and she replied that it was not, and that she snapped it back after she was finished. Amazingly, as soon as I heard it snap into the clip, the sound stopped immediately! I was amazed at how the sound had somehow traveled, and seemed to be coming from the center of the dash. So basically my three days of "chirp torture" could have been easily avoided by that simple move had I only noticed it. Egg on my face.
Thanks for the reply stgeorge!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #4
stgeorge
2009 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I am such a dork!
Over the weekend I had my son sit in the passenger seat and try to isolate where the sound was coming from to no avail. He was a bit too preoccupied with texting his girlfriend to be of any real assistance. So this morning, with my angry cricket chirping like mad, I tried the same exercise with my daughter, who was equally as useless. However, the one thing she did, was check her make-up in the passenger side vanity mirror. Once she finished, she swung it back up, but then "snapped" it back into the little clip that holds it secure. I asked her if it was clipped in before she used it, and she replied that it was not, and that she snapped it back after she was finished. Amazingly, as soon as I heard it snap into the clip, the sound stopped immediately! I was amazed at how the sound had somehow traveled, and seemed to be coming from the center of the dash. So basically my three days of "chirp torture" could have been easily avoided by that simple move had I only noticed it. Egg on my face.
Thanks for the reply stgeorge!
No problem. Glad it worked out easily. Sound sure seems to travel in the Element ... I have had 2, and none of the noises I hear in the driver seat actually have come from where they sounded like they were coming from initially.
stgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
myelement1
EOC Rank: Helium
2008 4WD LX AT

I know this is a old post, however it saved my sanity today! I have been hearing this chirping noise whenever I went over a bump for the last 3 days. Been trying to track this noise down like crazy, seen many post about noises and then I seen this one. When I got off of work today my passenger visor was the first place I looked sure enough it was not attached. I hooked it and silence!!! love it!!
thanks!!!!
mod's so far: UHaul Hitch, Sony head unit, Alpine speakers, Pioneer sub, Bling fog lights, Elemmat, tinted windows, bug shield, rain guards, blinker mod, front grill mod, eye lid mod, 22" Player rims, OEM roof rack, OEM mud flaps, CarID spoiler
myelement1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Slam
2011 4WD EX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Almost two years from the last post and five from the original post this thread has saved me the insanity of the irate cricket! My wife came home last week telling me about a noise while going over bumps, I drove the E today and heard the noise, When I got home this afternoon I came on the board here and searched 'Chirping Noise'..... Amazing! Thanks to the Element Owners Club.
Slam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.