When did EOC start sucking? - Page 5 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > EOC Member Central > Club X - Off-Topic Discussions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #41
MennoToaster
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
no it dosent suck all the time, and no they dont deleate all my post.and yes there are some helpfull mods(derators) and some of them know what he is saying.but as for sucking??? well these days almost everything sucks in one way or another.
on another note that didnt suck , my first born is expecting!!! no not a honda, a baby. Do you know what kind of birds bring babys??storks bring babys. do you know what bird dosent bring a baby?? a swallow.now that sucks. ok mod I asked for it go ahead.
I don't know what's worse, your immaturity or your atrocious spelling
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #42
beledi
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX 5AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Berckman View Post
If I have a question that has already been asked, I appreciate Rambler Dan and the other moderators pointing me in the direction of the answer with links to previous threads. Interest in this forum may grow as our vehicles get older and we have repair type questions. I remember back in the late 90's posting on the unmoderated air cooled volkswagen usnet newsgroup. Talk about some major flame wars and name calling. You would have thought that people that all like the same vehicle would get along.
Rambler Dan has been a great help with all his knowledge.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #43
jdiane
EOC Rank: Neon
2007 4WD LX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

I don't think the EOC sucks, but in comparison to, say, 2005 or 2006, it is a lot less of a social forum. Now there are fewer meets, fewer attendees at meets and mostly because in the early years the Element was unique and special. Now all sorts of car companies have their obligatory weird-looking square box car/truck/suv, but back then we were the weird ones for buying an E, so that fostered a community. Now the EOC is much more about information gathering for repairs on used Es or mods, as opposed to interacting in a social way online.

of course, painted panels are evil, so that could have precipitated the EOCs' demise into sucking.

Other car: 1999 Acura Integra 150000 miles

jdiane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #44
psschmied
2004 4WD EXS AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Sucks? Like in turbo-charged or supercharged? I think that the EOC has always been normally aspirated.

The biggest change I see is the participants and the nature of the new content.

When the E was in production, most were looking for information on mods, maintenance, courage-reinforcement before purchasing, or newly-discovered quirks. Modifications are still discussed, but the participation seems to be more focused on repairs and especially gripes from people with older or previously-owned E's.

New information and unique experiences are more interesting than questions that have already been answered, about how to replace the battery, what oil to use, what tires fit, etc.

Most stuff about the E has been so thoroughly discussed, that it's hard to enthusiastically respond to a new owner asking something that could have been found using common sense, RTFM or doing a forum search. It's hard to be sociable when the questioner has no skin in the game. Heck, sometimes it's hard to stay civil. (thank you moderators).

IMO, someones' personal rating of any forum is inversely proportional to what they have to contribute, how hard they are willing to look, and proportional to much they have yet to learn about participating in a mutual assistance forum.

Last edited by psschmied; 11-04-2012 at 02:10 PM.
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #45
GaryS
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psschmied View Post
IMO, someones' personal rating of any forum is inversely proportional to what they have to contribute, how hard they are willing to look, and proportional to much they have yet to learn about participating in a mutual assistance forum.
Well said!
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #46
ORANGEE
EOC Rank: Iron
2003 *Former Element owner
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

It started Sucking about the time Gisele washed her Element..........
Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #47
mbaha
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 2WD EX-P
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island E View Post
I agree with you on the overmoderated thing. Sometimes mods should just let things go. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though and assume that they didn't all just one day decide to shove sticks up their butts. I hope that the new site owners handed them sticks and told them where to put them and act accordingly.

It could also be that the mod team is getting on in their years, and everybody knows that old people are cranky.

I don't know. I hang out over in the GDD section on Honda-tech.com a lot, and while it's moderated, the mod team over there seems to have a sense of humor and lets a lot of things slide. Within reason obviously.

Oh well. It is what it is.

$20 says that my post will disappear.

Pay up pumpkin....
Old 11-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #48
Darth Raider
Premium Member
2005 2WD EX AT
Custom Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psschmied View Post
Sucks? Like in turbo-charged or supercharged? I think that the EOC has always been normally aspirated.

The biggest change I see is the participants and the nature of the new content.

When the E was in production, most were looking for information on mods, maintenance, courage-reinforcement before purchasing, or newly-discovered quirks. Modifications are still discussed, but the participation seems to be more focused on repairs and especially gripes from people with older or previously-owned E's.

New information and unique experiences are more interesting than questions that have already been answered, about how to replace the battery, what oil to use, what tires fit, etc.

Most stuff about the E has been so thoroughly discussed, that it's hard to enthusiastically respond to a new owner asking something that could have been found using common sense, RTFM or doing a forum search. It's hard to be sociable when the questioner has no skin in the game. Heck, sometimes it's hard to stay civil. (thank you moderators).

Excellent points!
Darth Raider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #49
BigAl205
2008 2WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

It always annoyed me that certain topics were forbidden. Back when Honda was affiliated with the site, I kinda understood it...but when Honda parted company, I thought some of the restrictions should have been lifted. I understand wanting to keep the general forum clean, but Club-X should be a less-restrictive place for people to speak their mind and blow off steam.

It wasn't until I joined other forums that I realized just how subdued this place was, and I eventually just quit coming around. Many of the EOC old-timers are all Facebook friends and we keep in contact via the Element Owners Group or through e-mail or phone.

Even the other forums had their problems, though. Ownership changing hands, infighting, too many ads...it all caused me to have to start my own forum
BigAl205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #50
GaryS
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

I find this thread amusing. I am presently on twelve forums, only five do I visit on a regular basis, and every one is different.

One forum that I now visit only occasionally is quite large and is fairly well moderated. It has separate moderators assigned to each of the topical sub forums and probably has twenty moderators. I was a moderator on this forum back in 2001 and after a short time resigned as reading every post was turning my brain to mush. Being a moderator is a thankless job.

Other forums range from a small one (that I sometimes wonder if it has any moderators at all) to a very large one (1,750,000 members) where I almost got banned for life for commenting that another member sounded like a shill.

One forum I monitor almost requires that you be vetted by the FBI before you are allowed to post.

The EOC Forum when I first joined seemed like a social club where everybody knew each other from meets and rallies and shared personal information back and forth. It did, and still does, have lots of tips for maintaining and modifying our cars so I have stuck around. It has saved me both time and money and that is what I want from a forum.

So, does it suck? I say it is what it is. Take it or leave it.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > EOC Member Central > Club X - Off-Topic Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.