PlastiDip wheels - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
ElementZOE
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

PlastiDip wheels

i never really liked the Rally Red color of my E. i have considered repainting it, but that is expensive. so embracing the red and black was all that was left which means my wheel color has got to go. the cheapest black wheels i found were $400. i have purchased cheap aftermarket wheels back in the day, and they were crap.

after watching the PlastiDip guy on youtube doing his wheels while on the car, i decided it seemed easy and would give it a shot. my experience went nothing like the video on the net and i spent over 5 hours doing my wheels.

i could not seem to get the PlastiDip to come out of the can in a smooth spray. instead it was a long stream of goop like silly string. i tried different nozzles and nothing seemed to work well. i contributed my issues to the weather since it was in the 30s yesterday when i did this. but, when i sprayed on a cardboard box long enough the spray would get smooth for a few minutes. i probably wasted two cans just getting the spray right. i even started using my back bumper since i wanted it black too and would just wipe off the run spots. the wheels turned out ok. i like the black look a lot better on my rig and think it will look really sick when i paint the brake calipers red. afterwards, Yoshi told me there is a trick to getting PlastiDip to spray smoothly, but he hasn't told me that trick yet. overall, i like it and thats all that matters. here is a few pics i took before the sun went down. there is still newspaper behind the wheel, but i will take some better shots.

first coat

left side

right side
ElementZOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
murso74
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 4WD LX AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

gotta tell you i usually hate all red cars but the rally red/black combo of the element has almost always been a favorite of mine
EX conversion checklist: 2010 cooler console: done. storage armrest: done. sun visor with mirrors: done. rear aux outlet: done. overhead console: ordered. sound system upgrade: aftermarket. center console sub: done
murso74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Yoshi
2005 2WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

I can't wait to see this at the meet
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
pizzachef
2007 4WD EX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murso74 View Post
gotta tell you i usually hate all red cars but the rally red/black combo of the element has almost always been a favorite of mine
^^^Ditto^^^
pizzachef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
magic
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

When I did my wheels last winter, I had them off the car. I put a pair of bright work shop lights over the wheels for a while. It warmed them up. I also left the Plastic Dip cans in the house until I needed them. Found the spray from the cans was fine and consistent when warm, when cold the spray was clumpy.
magic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
misdirection11082
EOC Rank: Carbon
2009 SC 2WD 5AT
Midnight Red Pearl (MRP)

I gotta say I love my RR and black and I did have black plasti dipped wheels. Yours looks good with the setup your running.

my new love 2009 SC Red Sonja
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...145&highlight=
misdirection11082 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Vermonter
EOC Rank: Helium
2010 SC 2WD 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

the red is better than kiwi IMO. you should consider peeling the dip off and taking another shot at it when the temp warms up just so you have a smooth finish. i did mine in the sun when the weather was around 60, i had my wheels off anyway since i was putting on rsx steel braided brake lines and i was also painting my calipers red. if you take the time to do it right, it pays off.

Vermonter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
ElementZOE
2006 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

i will give her another go this summer when it gets warmer. the good thing about the plastidip is it comes off and is not that expensive. i really love the look of my Element right now. another thing i noticed is that my wheel weights are on the outside, so i will have those moved prior to doing my wheels again. i look at this as a learning experience. the last time i used a rattle can i was like 10 years old living on a farm in Alabama painting a wheelbarrow.
ElementZOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #9
2009 ELE
2009 4WD EX 5AT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

Send a message via AIM to 2009 ELE
Just wondering, for those of you who have done this, do you have problems at car washes? I figured maybe the high pressure water or whatnot may cause the plastidip to peel?
Injen CAI, Gibson Exhaust, Samco Hoses, Viper Remote Start, HD Grill Guard, LoJack, Made in U.S.A. Badge, Window Tint, LightInSight, Vent Visors, OEM Mud Flaps, OEM Side Steps, Dog Package Seat Covers, Floor Mats & Emblems, Civic ivtech Stickers, Honda Trash Can, Various Stickers On Back
2009 ELE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
Stoked
EOC Rank: Helium
2008 4WD EX AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 ELE View Post
Just wondering, for those of you who have done this, do you have problems at car washes? I figured maybe the high pressure water or whatnot may cause the plastidip to peel?
No, car washes won't peel the dip but replacing a tire will.
HD Grill Guard, LightInSight, Plasti dip'd emblems, grill, and grill guard, Elemmat, Die cut rubber tray & cup liners, Modded neoprene covers on overhead handles, LED replacement ft/r dome & map bulbs, Class III hitch w/ Skid Shield, Thule Aero bars, Ruff Tuff seat covers (soon)
Stoked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.