Element suspension/ride on highway - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
KCguy33
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX MT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Element suspension/ride on highway

Hello,
I recently bought an '07 Element SC, and to be honest, I haven't exactly been thrilled with the way it rides on the highway. It seems like there is a weird up-and-down bobbing motion going on if the road isn't completely smooth. I just wondered if this is normal and if anyone else experiences this. Granted, it's not a huge range of motion, but there is a kind of small, bouncing feeling that gets annoying after a while. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
KCguy33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Yep, that's an Element: short wheelbase, tightly sprung and with the SC, low profile tires. It's not a Buick.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
racerc2000
EOC Rank: Carbon
2010 SC 2WD 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

just so we can compare... what was your previous vehicle?

as with everything there is a tradeoff.

tires. go with lower profile and you get increased stability and decreased comfort

I would say as a daily driver if looks didnt matter and only the physics were taken into account to get the most performance while keeping comfort.....

a 17" wheel should be installed. 16 is way too much sidewall and 18 is into the stiff region.

the suspension isnt all that bad on an SC. even with my coilovers and all the fine tuneing ive been doing to the suspension going from 19" summer tires to my 16" all seasons is like night and day. the bumps just fade away even with the stiff suspension. as does the aggressiveness and poise. its like the tires give it a delayed reaction.

In solitude, where we are least alone.
racerc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
FEA
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2008 4WD EX-P AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

It must be an SC thing. My stock EX is a cushy ride, which i definitely chalk up to the fairly high sidewall tires...
FEA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
2010E
EOC Rank: Helium
2010 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

It is actually safer to have more sidewall in a high center of gravity vehicle. The high lateral resistance of low profile tires increases the chances of rollover. The NHTSA has write ups on this issue.

I see some big SUV's with low profile tires that look like wagon wheels off of covered wagons. In western movies, they would flip those easily too.
2010E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
80honda
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2009 SC 2WD 5AT
Omni Blue Pearl (OBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEA View Post
It must be an SC thing. My stock EX is a cushy ride, which i definitely chalk up to the fairly high sidewall tires...
I have both an EX and an SC.

The difference in ride is night and day. To be honest, about the only thing I don't like about the SC is the punishing ride. It's just awful.
80honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
80honda
2009 SC 2WD 5AT
Omni Blue Pearl (OBP)

I considering a switch to 17" rims when tire replacement time arrives.
80honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
racerc2000
2010 SC 2WD 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

I feel 17s are a good choice for both ex and SC

with all my suspension work it almost feels like the suspension is over working the 16s when I use them. almost like its tuned to use the tires to their maximum potential but the tires lack potential for performance.

however they fit over my brembos if ever so slightly so they will stay as my winter wheels till I come across a set of CRV 17" steelies.

I also miss my wider rears when I revert to stock for winter. with no rear seats and an empty truck the rear end always feels like it lacks traction. most FWD cars suffer from understeer

I dont know if its just me but the element feels to have a bit of oversteer. and with my 245/275 tire set it seems pretty balanced. and ive driven high hp cars of both fwd and rwd that suffered drastically from one or the other.

In solitude, where we are least alone.
racerc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
desinia
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCguy33 View Post
Hello,
I recently bought an '07 Element SC, and to be honest, I haven't exactly been thrilled with the way it rides on the highway. It seems like there is a weird up-and-down bobbing motion going on if the road isn't completely smooth. I just wondered if this is normal and if anyone else experiences this. Granted, it's not a huge range of motion, but there is a kind of small, bouncing feeling that gets annoying after a while. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Mine is exactly the same. You learn the locations of the bad roads after a while.

It's the night of the blood moon.
Did you get your taxes filed?
desinia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Rick92040
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Check your struts. The back ones seem to go bad first. Look for any leaking.
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.