Disabling factory high-beam DRLs for parking light DRLs - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
Kaoss
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 2WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Disabling factory high-beam DRLs for parking light DRLs

I have a Canadian '04 E which came with DRLs from the factory. I drive quite a lot, and I use brighter-than-average bulbs that generate more heat than the OEM bulbs. I'd simply like to prolong the life of the bulbs, and disable the dimmed high-beam DRL, and switch the DRLs to the front signals/parking lights. Also, I've always preferred the look of parking light DRLs instead of the headlights lighting up.

I'm uncertain if this would be a simple switching up of wiring, ie. moving the DRL wire to the parking lights, or if this would involve splicing and cutting up wires.

If anyone has more information, please share!
Galapagos Green 2004 2WD EX ~ VVME 6000K Bi-Xenon HIDs -- eBay fogs w/Nokya 2500k Hyper Yellow bulbs and Lamin-X yellow overlay -- Goodyear Assurance ComforTred 235/65/16 -- LED license plate bulbs -- LED dome and map lights -- Polarg B1 Hybrid Red 7443 rear turn signal bulbs -- Pioneer TS-A1674R -- DIY SRI -- Ingalls Stiffy engine torque damper -- OEM red JDM front and rear Honda badges -- Shen's Turn Signal Mod

http://www.sutoraikuanime.com/
Kaoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
racerc2000
EOC Rank: Carbon
2010 SC 2WD 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

it would be an easier mod on a newer element. as we have a separate drl circuit and bulb.

when you turn on your running lights the DRL stays on right? if it goes off the mod will be much easier. if it stays on however splicing into the running light could have adverse effects when its feeding both 5.7/12v into the light

as in test headlight wires for voltage when DRL is on should be like 5.7v. may be a good idea to map out all the wires for the headlight and label them. ideally it should be 12v/12v/5.7v/and a ground or 3

if its not and say the high beam wire itself switches from 12v to 5.7v the wire you need to cut would be farther in the harness more.

other then that when you find the correct wire its a simple cut and splice or completely add a dedicated drl. if its led or it requires 12v to work you need to wire a relay to 12v source and use the 5.7v as the switch.

In solitude, where we are least alone.
racerc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Kaoss
2004 2WD EX AT

Yes, when turning on the parking lights + rear lights the DRL stays on, however turning on the low beams makes the DRL dimmed high beam switch off and obviously to the full-power low beam filament.

Sounds like a huge pain to rewire everything, I'm not great with those kinds of things unfortunately. I know on Fits disabling DRL's is as easy as pulling a fuse out, or the DRL fuse and another fuse to disable the dashboard DRL light, depending on generation. Is the Element just as easy to disable the DRL?

Separate DRL module? Would it be possible to simply move a couple wires around by any chance, or move the stock DRL module to make the parking lights act as DRL's? This is a mod I really want to carry out however my knowledge of wiring is very limited. The most wiring I could do is Shen's turn signal mod!

OR, since there are three levels on the light stalk, the first one being the parking lights + rear lights on, I could disable the rear lights when the switch is moved in the first position, since with the stock high-beam DRL's all that does is turn on the parking lights and the rear lights? Although that probably wouldn't be logical since all the interior lights would also turn on.

EDIT: Or bypassing the DRL module directly, and wiring the parking lights directly to the ignition and simply pulling out a fuse or two to disable the DRL's, if that's possible. Seems to work with Honda Fits.
Galapagos Green 2004 2WD EX ~ VVME 6000K Bi-Xenon HIDs -- eBay fogs w/Nokya 2500k Hyper Yellow bulbs and Lamin-X yellow overlay -- Goodyear Assurance ComforTred 235/65/16 -- LED license plate bulbs -- LED dome and map lights -- Polarg B1 Hybrid Red 7443 rear turn signal bulbs -- Pioneer TS-A1674R -- DIY SRI -- Ingalls Stiffy engine torque damper -- OEM red JDM front and rear Honda badges -- Shen's Turn Signal Mod

Last edited by Kaoss; 11-13-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
KoolBlue
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Other

If you pull the DRL fuses you will lose both your headlights.

Fuse #15 15A RED/YEL Daytime running lights control unit (Canada), High beam indicator, Left headlight

Fuse #17 15A RED Daytime running lights control unit (Canada), Right headlight.

Both of the fuses for the DRL unit are tied into the headlights.

KoolBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Kaoss
2004 2WD EX AT

Seems like I'm out of luck then :/ Unless I purchase aftermarket driving lights and hook them up to the DRL module or run they directly off the battery?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.