Some mods/improvements(pic heavy) - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #1
Randyb
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD EX-P MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Some mods/improvements(pic heavy)

when i got the pug i figured i could use it to go camping and what not. so, i started lurking on EOC and getting ideas for a sleeping platform and then i started noticing armrests and center consoles. as i was building the platform and test fitting it i could see that the spare tire cover was bowing down pretty good and that gave me the idea for the new cover. since i had a new tire cover i thoguht it would be cool to make it a table too, hence the legs. i wanted the platform to be able to stay in the pug if need be, transportable and installable by one person which meant it would have to be foldable. the center console has multiple uses; its a drink holder... at the proper location instead of down where the dog can get to it(ask me how i found that out ), its got storage inside, behind the cup holders and underneath where the e-brake is. i would have seriously considered taking the console most of the way to the woofer but my OCD wouldnt allow me to use the tranny for the e-brake because the shifter wouldnt be even(in gear instead of in neutral). the console also doubles as a support for the sleeping platform. the platform is about 16ish inches tall which allows for crates underneath for storage. it is 53.5 inches wide and 74 inches long. its made of 3/4" particle board and reinforced with 1x2 whitewood. it is strong enough for me and my son both and we are each over 200#. please let me know what you think and any suggestions you might have.

Name:  console armrest.JPG
Views: 770
Size:  184.6 KB

Name:  armrest with protector.JPG
Views: 768
Size:  160.7 KB

Name:  inside armrest.JPG
Views: 783
Size:  194.9 KB

Name:  spare tire cover.JPG
Views: 771
Size:  150.1 KB

Name:  cover underside.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  141.3 KB

Name:  cover underside with legs.JPG
Views: 771
Size:  166.2 KB

Last edited by Randyb; 11-05-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: forgot to add text
Randyb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Randyb
2006 4WD EX-P MT

more pics of platform

grrrr, sorry for the double pics. this is the first time i have tried something like this(adding pics to a post). i thought i was deleting the extra pics but obviously wasnt... my apologies.
Attached Images

Last edited by AztecRol; 11-08-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Randyb
2006 4WD EX-P MT

more pics of platform

ok, didnt know i could add 6 pics at a time so here are more of the platform.
Attached Images

Last edited by AztecRol; 11-08-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
swkph
2004 4WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

looks good man, i love all the sleeping platform ideas. i myself may try it eventually, but i don't think rolling a mat down on the floor of the element would be that bad. i guess i'll have to try it and see. i've slept in an ef sedan before so the element is like a ****ing ritz carlton.
swkph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Randyb
2006 4WD EX-P MT

lol, i understand the mat point, however i am 6'1" and 44 years old and 19 1/2 years in the army... im tired of sleeping on the floor
Old 11-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
AlxINC
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX AT

First of all. NICE!

Now that that's out of the way, two questions. 1. How accessible is the E brake? And 2. How difficult would it be to upload a blue print for the console? I would love to use it as a reference :D
AlxINC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Randyb
2006 4WD EX-P MT

Thanks for the compliment. the armrest turned out pretty much the way i envisioned it. as for the "blueprint" i hope you arent disappointed with it, alot of what i do is on the fly, adapting to the circumstances. the e-brake is a bit difficult to get to the way i have it cut out but i can make the slot bigger, just havent yet... i was in a hurry to get in the car because it was holding up the completion of the platform. please dont make the same mistake i did and put the carpet on BEFORE you cut the e-brake slot . if i had to do it again, i would make the inside part longer and have less shelf behind the cup holders. the cupholders came from autozone. they were part of one large contraption that slid between vehicle seats. i got the dremel out and adapted them. also, the inside of the cup holders were too small at the bottom for the typical cup i use(mcalisters sweet tea) so i raised up the center portion with leftover carpet and put carpet in the inside edge to take up the excess room.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
swkph
2004 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyb View Post
lol, i understand the mat point, however i am 6'1" and 44 years old and 19 1/2 years in the army... im tired of sleeping on the floor
i feel ya, 6' here but only 180 and 0 years in the army at 26. Done my fair share of sleeping in improvised areas though haha...
swkph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
Alaskan_Toaster
Premium Member
2007 4WD EX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyb View Post
A tad shorter, older, and a 22+ year Army vet, but, definitely agree - not sleeping on the grounds anymore.... A platform is DEFINITELY on the short list. Looks great!!

Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be, so enjoy this day while it lasts.
Alaskan_Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.