Discontinuing the Element...some pros - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous / General Element Discussions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
floydkahue
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 SC 2WD 5MT
Root Beer Metallic (RBM)

Discontinuing the Element...some pros

1. I just bought my first Element, a 2007 SC. When I went shopping, I was able to sit back and look at the entire line of cars and pick the one I like best.

2. Honda's not going to come out with an Element I like better.

3. Some people feel the newest car is the best. Others think cars are like wine; there are good years & bad, and each vintage has something that makes it unique.

4. The "cult classic" factor...

5. Cost. If you love Elements, you're in great shape! They're all used.

6. It still looks good, will last forever if you take care of it, & in my opinion WAY cooler than any of the other wanna-be Elements...Scions & the like.

7. Then, what if they bring the Element back? Will your car be old? NO! It will be AUTHENTIC & CLASSIC.

The Element is pretty close to a perfect car with a pretty flawless history. Their strength is in that their all the same, & their design is simple and elegant. The Element was and is wildly popular, and will be for quite some time I imagine.

There's another vehicle that comes to mind when I think about the Honda Element...it just happens to be my second car ;)

floydkahue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
desinia
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydkahue View Post
1. I just bought my first Element, a 2007 SC. When I went shopping, I was able to sit back and look at the entire line of cars and pick the one I like best.

2. Honda's not going to come out with an Element I like better.

3. Some people feel the newest car is the best. Others think cars are like wine; there are good years & bad, and each vintage has something that makes it unique.

4. The "cult classic" factor...

5. Cost. If you love Elements, you're in great shape! They're all used.

6. It still looks good, will last forever if you take care of it, & in my opinion WAY cooler than any of the other wanna-be Elements...Scions & the like.

7. Then, what if they bring the Element back? Will your car be old? NO! It will be AUTHENTIC & CLASSIC.

The Element is pretty close to a perfect car with a pretty flawless history. Their strength is in that their all the same, & their design is simple and elegant. The Element was and is wildly popular, and will be for quite some time I imagine.
When I got mine, it was the last '08 model at the dealer. They were pulling the first '09 off of the truck when I went in to sign the papers and I got to try both side by side - and like you said, it was a no brainer.

I take issue with your #7 though. If Honda brings back something they call an Element, it's pretty much assumed that it -won't- be like the E we love. If you can imagine the people who came up with the Crosstour or the current mangling of the Odyssey somehow deciding to go back to the original Element style and design, you're fooling yourself. "Ain't gonna happen".

BTW, these are the same people who STILL can't fix the lack of security on their websites, so I doubt you'll be seeing anything innovative in designs either.

It's not the "next big thing" from Honda - It was the last.
desinia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
dgale
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD DX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

I think his point with #7 was that if/when they bring back the E and botch like like you suspect, your existing "classic" E will have all the more appeal and value as folks realize they'd rather buy an "old" original E then the funky replacement that came out.
dgale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
floydkahue
2007 SC 2WD 5MT
Root Beer Metallic (RBM)

I've driven a few new cars, and have felt burned every time. I bought a New Beetle, and it was awesome when I was the only one, but then everyone else got theirs, and theirs were cooler because they had updated models. Then the Geek Squad hit the roads and teenagers began driving them. My Beetle wasn't fun anymore. When I sold it, it had depreciated by 1/2.

But then I got a cherry vintage Beetle, and became a rockstar on the road again. Old schoolers remember and favor the old one, New Beetle drivers wish their cars had as much Chrome, and every year my car goes up in value while theirs goes down with each passing model. I pay $0 for tabs since it's a collector car, pay very little to maintain it, and it runs best on the lowest quality gas.

I particularly dislike 1st gen cars. I've driven 3, and the same thing happens every time...
1. It's awesome at first, but this will be the lamest and tamest of the entire car line in the long run.
2. 1st gen car is always broken. Thousands of people haven't driven them for millions of miles and broken them in every way imaginable yet. The manufacturer hasn't had this data necessary to making improvements.
3. 1st gen is the most cheaply made. The vehicle hasn't generated any revenue and has cost the manufacturer a lot to develop. They have to watch costs, not to mention leave "headroom" for future model improvements.

The appeal of a 1st gen car is newness
The appeal of a later model is improvements
The appeal of a late model used car is selection
floydkahue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
t-rex2
2006 4WD EX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Talking Used Elements

I hated the Element when it first came out. I could not figure out why anyone would buy one of these ugly vehicles. The light bulb finally lit up in November of 2011 and I bought a 2006 M/T EX 4WD for my college age daughter. Discovered I really liked it and found a 2nd Element 2007 auto EX 4WD for my son who was leaving home. By this time I was jealous as I paid for two and didn't have one for myself. Last Friday I found a 2005 EX 4WD auto with only 54,000 miles, the original owner had passed and it was sitting in her fathers barn. So I finally got my own Element and am thrilled!

I am disappointed that Honda never put a 6 speed or v-6 in an Element but I feel that I will survive. I wish they would have continued building the Element and making improvements, guess I will have to do the improvements my self.

By the way these are the first Honda cars I have purchase and I purchased 3 Elements in 1 years time. Won't be my last I'm sure.

Cheers
t-rex2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Miscellaneous / General Element Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.