Womp womp - stolen catalytic converter - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
Natalia79
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 2WD EX AT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Womp womp - stolen catalytic converter

Do I replace with a universal or a factory? If I go with a universal because a) I don't have to use my insurance and b) so if it happens again I won't want to give up my Element, what are the major differences between a factory and after -market part? I have to take the emissions test once a year. I don't want to have to worry about the part going bad after so long.
Natalia79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
jesbecause
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to jesbecause
Everyday someone posts that there cat was stolen . I seriously don't under the police dept's attitude on this ? It's almost as bad as thieves stealing the brass vases from grave sites around these parts !

Anyway an aftermarket cat will do , a good muffler place should know what modifications need to be done , you had an oxygen sensor in the cat , that is definitely gone too , which needs to be replaced in order to pass inspection .

Sorry and good luck

a whole thread of reading , you're not alone , here:http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=71815
jesbecause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Natalia79
2004 2WD EX AT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Thanks, I have read conflicting stories on universals going bad and choking the engine with CO2, so I was hesitant to go for an after-market part.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Nasty2004
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2007 *Former Element owner
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

I know your cat was stolen because Honda cats have a different composition of materials that makes them more valuable, so I would do some more research to ensure any aftermarket cat has the right guts. I'm no expert, though, so keep asking around.
Nasty2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
EdwardChen
2007 4WD EX 5AT

Natalia,

Just curious, where in chicago do you live? I live in the logan square area and it was stolen on the street there.

When I had mine replaced with a universal, I was out the door for about $500, but that was with a non working oxygen sensor. I'm still trying to deal with that. I think that an OEM setup will set you back around $1000-1500. I considered that, but I also found out that OEM cats are worth much more on the black market, so I'd be much likely to be targeted again afterwards once they see that it's an aftermarket. That was honestly reason enough for me to go with the aftermarket (plus the extra cash in my pocket).

The problem now is that my check engine light is still on, throwing an oxygen sensor code. From my research, it might be that they put in an aftermarket sensor and it isn't talking to the car properly. I ordered a Honda oxygen sensor that I plan to put in, hopefully will clear the light for good. The process is outlined in that link jesbecause pasted above.

Sucks this is even a problem for us! Hope you get all fixed up, let us know what you end up doing!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Natalia79
2004 2WD EX AT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

I do live on the NW side but it was stolen in my work parking lot which is near Peterson and Pulaski. I did know you need Honda O2 sensors. My mechanic said with an aftermarket CC and Honda O2 sensors, I will be paying about $800. I am still going to call around because my uncle and mechanic cousin think thats a little bit high.
I may be getting the catclamp. It may be worth it just to save a headache. That being said, if it does manage to happen again, I may have trade my car in.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
buttermilk
2009 2WD LX AT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

JC Whitney has the converters for $129

http://www.jcwhitney.com/catco-catal...41y2004g43u0j1
buttermilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
TheLegacy
2010 2WD LX AT
Omni Blue Pearl (OBP)

Same happened to me at Western and Milwaukee Aves. Insurance covered me so I took it to the dealership. As I'm still under warranty up to 80k I don't want anything but Honda parts on it. Also, I am currently in the process of trying to get some attention on this matter from the Chicago Police Department and my Alderman.

If you are interested-

http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime-...tolen-5522791/

Last edited by ramblerdan; 12-14-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: OT content removed
TheLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
EdwardChen
2007 4WD EX 5AT

Just an update, I swapped out the generic O2 sensor for a honda one and the check engine light is off and has stayed off (for a day now).

I went to a place A+ Auto Service on 3751 West North Ave. and they put in a universal Cat and a useless O2 sensor for $519.05 including tax. I ended up buying my own sensor and putting it in, and hopefully, this weekend, I will be going back and getting a refund on parts for the sensor, which is a $189.99 line item. Not positive I'll get the money back, but it's worth a try.

It turns out they already did the welding of this nut onto the end of the cat, as described in this post: http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...1&postcount=44

I had to extend the 4 wires in the honda unit about 4" to get it to reach where the nut was welded.

According to the everyblock thread, and from when I asked the service writer at the place I went to, by replacing it with a cheap universal cat, you make it much less attractive to the thieves since the value is just a fraction of OEM value on the scrap market.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Natalia79
2004 2WD EX AT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Well I wanted to give you an update. Progressive won't pay for Honda O2 sensors. They are only giving me $100 more than my deductible which is BS and which is why I will be switching insurance companies soon. So, from what I have read, I shouldn't even bother with after market O2 sensors, I should just go and buy Honda ones? I told the Progressive guy and of course, I was just dismissed because I must not know what I am talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Tags
catalytic converter , theft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.