Dash lights went out - and then came back on - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Wabu715
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Dash lights went out - and then came back on

Hi -

Have an '05 4WD with about 115K miles. Last night I was coming home from work and had no dashboard lights - out completely. Radio light was also out. As I turned into the driveway, there's a little bump - hit it and the lights all came back on (figures!). But decided I'd better check it so after I parked the car, I started it up again - no dash lights, but the radio light was on. I'm assuming this is a wiring harness issue and not a fuse, since the lights returned - but can anyone tell me how to access where the light harness goes into the main? And please, please, please tell me it doesn't entail pulling apart the entire dashboard?

Thanks in advance!
Wabu715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
dgale
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD DX MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

I have a smaller scale version of the same problem going on - the light in the temperature control knob (the center of the three "climate control" knobs) has not been working lately, but if I bang on it it will occasionally come back on...so obviously the bulb is fine and I assume it's a grounding issue (?) How do remove the knob(s) or otherwise access the dash where the bulbs are so I can clean and tighten connections etc?
dgale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Wabu715
2005 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgale View Post
I have a smaller scale version of the same problem going on - the light in the temperature control knob (the center of the three "climate control" knobs) has not been working lately, but if I bang on it it will occasionally come back on...so obviously the bulb is fine and I assume it's a grounding issue (?) How do remove the knob(s) or otherwise access the dash where the bulbs are so I can clean and tighten connections etc?
Interesting. Our temp control knob went out completely,too, just a couple of years ago.... there are a couple of other bulbs out that I was just planning to replace, so figuring out how to access the harness (and related) will take care of more than one issue.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Wabu715
2005 4WD EX MT

Checked the #2 fuse tonight and I don't think that that was it. Besides the fact that it looked fine, when I pulled it, the dashboard went completely dark...however, I remembered that last night, while most of the dash was dark, I could still see the speedo needle, gas gauge needle, and oil temp needle (all red illuminated). Also, the radio was still lit up when #2 was pulled.

Anybody, anybody?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
MennoToaster
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

The lights on the middle of my dash did that when I first bought my car, whenever we would bonk it they would come back on. It was entertaining for awhile but eventually we replaced the bulbs and the problem was fixed.

Doesn't sound like a bulb problem but that's what the mechanic said and he was right
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Eww-an E
EOC Rank: Iron
2003 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Wabu715, here's a great thread that contains a lot of information and fixes that could be of help to you.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ht=dash+lights
Eww-an E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.