Purchasing a Shop Manual - Page 8 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #71
usafe7ret
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD EX AT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

Not sure what you mean by "how legit the seller is". If you're refering to copyright infringement, this site has been around a long time and carry's manuals for all kinds of items, not just automotive.

If you're wondering about how safe it is to buy from them, well, all I can say is my experience was just fine.

The company is based in Germany, and their laws regarding copyright infringement are way more draconian than the US, so if they were doing things on the sly, then I'm sure the EU would be on them like they are trying to do to Bill Gates and MicroSoft.

You can pay for it from the dealer, from Helm, or where ever you like. I was just making the information available for all.
usafe7ret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #72
mkh
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafe7ret View Post
Not sure what you mean by "how legit the seller is". If you're refering to copyright infringement, this site has been around a long time and carry's manuals for all kinds of items, not just automotive.

If you're wondering about how safe it is to buy from them, well, all I can say is my experience was just fine.

The company is based in Germany, and their laws regarding copyright infringement are way more draconian than the US, so if they were doing things on the sly, then I'm sure the EU would be on them like they are trying to do to Bill Gates and MicroSoft.

You can pay for it from the dealer, from Helm, or where ever you like. I was just making the information available for all.
Tradebit simply rents server space for "self-publishers" and provide a mechanism for the user's to charge others for access to what they store there. They state that it is the user's responsibility to abide by all applicable copyright laws - and they do not look at or police what is uploaded unless they get complaints. So basically, unless these are being uploaded and sold by Honda, whoever is uploading the OEM service manuals is selling them as pdfs in violation of copyright.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #73
breese524
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2007 2WD EX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Tradebit simply rents server space for "self-publishers" and provide a mechanism for the user's to charge others for access to what they store there. They state that it is the user's responsibility to abide by all applicable copyright laws - and they do not look at or police what is uploaded unless they get complaints. So basically, unless these are being uploaded and sold by Honda, whoever is uploading the OEM service manuals is selling them as pdfs in violation of copyright.
I figured that was the case. You might not agree with the price but purchasing a legit copy ensures that the people that put the time into making the product get paid.

mkh, the manuals would have to be sold by Honda or an authorized reseller otherwise, HandA and others would not be able to sell the manuals either.
breese524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #74
mkh
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breese524 View Post
I figured that was the case. You might not agree with the price but purchasing a legit copy ensures that the people that put the time into making the product get paid.

mkh, the manuals would have to be sold by Honda or an authorized reseller otherwise, HandA and others would not be able to sell the manuals either.
Right, I lump Authorized Resellers like H & A in with Honda, as they are really "Honda-Local", via their Dealership agreement with Honda.

And I also agree with purchasing only legit copies. I know the new price is a stretch for some, so then just buy used - keep an eye on ebay. I picked up both the Shop Manual and the Electrical Shop Manual 2nd hand as a bundle on ebay for under $40.
mkh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #75
fessorx
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 2WD LX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by breese524 View Post
Yea, I checked out tradebit and e-bay...Man I want that service manual so bad but just can't afford it right now. I think H and A $57 is def a fair price and legit. I can't bring myself to paying for snipped copies for $10 or as little as $5 for a instant download on e-bay. 5 or 10 years ago I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

I think I will go to the dollar store and by a keyboard cover :) because this site is jam packed with great information on what I need to fix or repair..

The manual will go on my 2010 x-mas wish list.
fessorx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #76
asp
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX MT

just say "NO" to tradebit service repair manuals

I recently downloaded a "service repair manual" for my 1998 M-B E300 turbodiesel on tradebit. It is virtually useless despite the good reviews on the site. If you're going to spend any money on a manual for your E get the HONDA manual. It might cost more but it is an excellent value. Spending less on something useless is no bargain at all as I found out the hard way. Don't be a sucker like me, get the real deal!
asp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #77
Mcdirtymetal
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

I bought the Honda deal for $50 used on ebay.
Mcdirtymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #78
ajchien
EOC Rank: Helium

Older shop manuals are now on sale at helminc for $52.50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.