May be normal.... Cooling issue - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
ChiefWahWah
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

May be normal.... Cooling issue

I have a 2003 Element that was cooling a little low with multpiple other issues. I hooked a scantool to is and saw it was reading at 160'. I just purchased the car from an auction and knew it needed work. It had a code for o2 sensor and cam adjust solonoid. Replace the solonoid the element runs better. Went ahead and did spark plugs also. Replaced the thermostat and the cooling temp hand still is not in the middle, closer and running 183 degrees. So I thought maybe the o2 sensor is running rich causing it to cool slightly low. Go to remove the 02 sensor and BAM the sensor is damaged further inspection I find out someone has gutted out the converter... so I have a converter on the way.

Now since im don'e ranting about all this.. What temperature does your element run at and where is it soppose to sit on the temperature guage on the dash?
ChiefWahWah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
AztecRol
2008 SC 2WD 5AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Send a message via AIM to AztecRol Send a message via MSN to AztecRol Send a message via Yahoo to AztecRol
Im trying to remember what mine runs at. From what I recall, after she
is warmed up, temp sits around 195. I will check it on the way home.
I have the Garmin ecoRoute and I can see the water temp real time.

AztecRol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 4WD EXS AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Mine runs at a little under half scale except during the worst of winter. When driving I75 across the hills of KY and TN during the summer, it climbed to slightly above half-scale (still normal).

Dash gauges aren't precise tools. Testers that utilize the engine's sensors are limited by those sensors. If the thermistor is bad, the tester's reading will be unreliable. The onboard diagnostics may not indicate the ECT sensor is bad unless it is shorted, open, or sluggish. (PO116-118, 125)

The only reliable ways to measure coolant temperature accurately is to first test the ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor at a known elevated temperature. A candy or meat thermometer in the coolant overflow tube will read within 1-2F of the coolant temperature once the engine is warm.

AN aftermarket OE-fit replacement sensor costs $25-40
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
AztecRol
2008 SC 2WD 5AT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Send a message via AIM to AztecRol Send a message via MSN to AztecRol Send a message via Yahoo to AztecRol
Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecRol View Post
Im trying to remember what mine runs at. From what I recall, after she
is warmed up, temp sits around 195. I will check it on the way home.
I have the Garmin ecoRoute and I can see the water temp real time.
Sorry, forgot to post this yesterday. I double checked on the drive home.
Mine sits at about 190 during normal driving conditions. Every once in a while
it would jump up to 195. I would say that is normal, for my E.

AztecRol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.