Summary for after market tires for stock rims? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Libations Too
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2010 4WD EX 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

Summary for after market tires for stock rims?

I purchased my AWD 2010 Element on Black Friday with an option for new tires at dealer cost. I have read the forum pages and am having difficulty coming to closure on what represents a good tire choice. My priorities from highest to lowest: use stock EX rims, all season tires, choose a tire to minimize road noise, choose a tire for good gas mileage, choose a tire with good treadwear rating.

What I have learned/know is that I do NOT want to replace with Goodyear Wranglers (they are nearly bald after only 29k miles) and I am not excited about changing from stock tire size. Driving conditions will be mostly highway with some fire road camping trips; winter driving will be mostly rain with some minor snow.

Three questions:
Is there a good summary thread somewhere on the forum pages...or has a poll ever been done on aftermarket tire choices?
Any reason to not use the Continental CrossContact LX Sport?
Other recommendations that I should consider?

Thanks,
Richard
Libations Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
murso74
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 4WD LX AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

i like my general grabber all seasons. got them on stock rims at a slightly larger size and haven't had an noise issues or drivablility issues
EX conversion checklist: 2010 cooler console: done. storage armrest: done. sun visor with mirrors: done. rear aux outlet: done. overhead console: ordered. sound system upgrade: aftermarket. center console sub: done
murso74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Tirerack has Tire Survey Results, based on reviews from customers. A starting point for your needs is the Highway Allseason category. You can filter tires by available sizes, e.g. the stock size, or one of the sizes that are 2-4% smaller or larger. Evaluation categories include various kinds of traction, noise, and tire wear. No reports on gas mileage.

Some people place more trust in reviews by EOC members, but I don't. I've had 4 different tires on my E since 2003, and don't consider myself to be an expert. Nor can I say that the tires I currently have are better than ones that I haven't tried.

Manufacturers also have tables or graphs comparing their tire models, indicating which of their tires are better for treadwear, or for mud traction , or what ever. Most tires also have a treadwear rating, a number like 400 or 700. The higher the number the greater the expected wear. Their treadwear warranty is also an indicator. Snow tires and super sticky ones don't have a treadwear rating, because buyers value the traction over wear.

Consumer Reports periodically tests various categories of tires. Tirerack does some of their own testing, but only 3-4 tire models at a time. But those are probably the most objective tests around.

Concern for how tire models and sizes affect gas mileage is a relatively recent one, at least at the retail level. However I suspect that Honda (and other auto manufacturers) take that into account when selecting stock tires. They have incentive to maximize the EPA gas mileage numbers. So I doubt if any new tires will do better than the old ones. I don't recall anyone reporting a noticeable improvement in mileage when the changed tires.

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16
Picasa photos
Tire Size Calculator

Last edited by paulj; 11-25-2012 at 05:48 PM.
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
FinalElement
2011 4WD LX AT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

What tires did you decide on? Satisfied?
FinalElement is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Libations Too
2010 4WD EX 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

After reading the extensive review of the General Grabber HTS by ApriliaGuy in this forum and after speaking with a Honda Service rep who owned an Element and spoke highly of the Grabber tire I chose the blackwall Grabber HTS 215/70R/16 for my EX AWD on stock rims.

They are definitely quieter than the old Wrangers that were replaced...too early to give a more thorough review.
Libations Too is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.