Drivers side axle boot - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Jst2878
Premium Member
2011 4WD EX AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

Drivers side axle boot

Ok, so my outer boot on the drivers side axle has separated into two pieces.
Right after the clamp holds the boot onto the shaft, the smallest part separated from the rest. Could this cause vibration
SC suspension,spoiler,pioneer nav,dvd, BT sc door handles,SC front grille,SC rear hatch, weather mats, ST rear swaybar,SC black interior, Clazzio black leather seats,Oem wind deflector, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob,black lugnuts, Honda tent, interior bike rack,UrSa minor floor tabs and dead pedal, oem mudguards, HID 6000k headlights, HID 3000k foglights, OEM rocker panels, Oem storage armrest, Volk TE37 19 x 8.5 et43
Jst2878 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
jesbecause
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to jesbecause
Absolutely you would have vibration , once the boot is compromised , it's only a matter of time . Take it back to the dealer ASAP ..........

Good luck
jesbecause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

I envy you warranty people. Get yourself a new axle. Once that boot goes and the insides are exposed, even the smallest piece of debris (rock or whatever) can raise hell later on if they simply close it back up and reclamp it. I'd mark the axle with a permanent marker or put a couple distinctive scratches on it and tell them you want a new one. When the repairs are done, go back and make sure they actually replaced the axle. Dealerships lie. Don't trust them at all.
Island E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
jesbecause
2008 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to jesbecause
Upon further review , and more time to research , I've found that when bringing the vehicle back to Honda for warranty work , they do have the option of replacing just the torn boot , here :http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...ET+SHORT+PARTS

I would not accept this , press the service advisor or even the service manager that the axel may very well have been compromised before you noticed the torn boot . A new axel will have the part label on it and check vehicle before leaving .... please .....

Good luck
jesbecause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
bmwrider
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2008 2WD EX MT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

You're going to want a new outer joint and obviously a boot. I don't know, Honda may just provide the complete axle which is probably easier from a labor standpoint to change.

I'm surprised a boot would go out on such a new vehicle.
'11 SAAB 9-5 Aero - SAAB's finale'
bmwrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
KoolBlue
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Other

Demanding that a repair be done a certain way can work against you.
It is very easy for a part to go on "backorder" or "accidently" ordered wrong.

As a long time dealer employee more often thsn not we replaced a complete axle when the boot was torn if the vehicle was under warrantym

We don't like to have too fix the same problem twice.
KoolBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Jst2878
Premium Member
2011 4WD EX AT

does anyone know of a writeup on replacing the boot. no grease is leaking out, just the boot is seperated. no dirt has entered the joint. I just purchased the boot replacement kit from honda but i just need info on the correct way to disassemble the outer axle cup so I can replace the boot. I know it is held on by a circlip so i guess just getting the cup to pull past that will do the trick. just wasnt sure if it had to be turned to loosen.
my element is still under warranty but i changed to sc suspension and added camber bolts, so I doubt its covered anymore
SC suspension,spoiler,pioneer nav,dvd, BT sc door handles,SC front grille,SC rear hatch, weather mats, ST rear swaybar,SC black interior, Clazzio black leather seats,Oem wind deflector, leather wrapped steering wheel and shift knob,black lugnuts, Honda tent, interior bike rack,UrSa minor floor tabs and dead pedal, oem mudguards, HID 6000k headlights, HID 3000k foglights, OEM rocker panels, Oem storage armrest, Volk TE37 19 x 8.5 et43
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Take it in and see. They'll probably never even raise an eyebrow. It's worth it if you ask me. I've never done a boot replacement, but I hear it's sort of an ass pain. Might as well put a new axle in there since you're more than likely going to have to pop the lower ball joint to get the hub assembly off the outer part of the axle.
Island E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Jst2878
Premium Member
2011 4WD EX AT

true. i just think they will charge me when its all said and done and then ill be pissed since i could have done it myself.....im still looking for a diy on this project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.