How do i change spark plugs on 03 element? - Page 4 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
iamperplexed
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 2WD LX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

No torque wrench here. I'm in Oregon now and all my tools live in Texas. Should I beg, borrow or buy a torque wrench or just do it the old fashioned way?
iamperplexed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
Yoshi
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 2WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamperplexed View Post
No torque wrench here. I'm in Oregon now and all my tools live in Texas. Should I beg, borrow or buy a torque wrench or just do it the old fashioned way?
Quarter turn after hand tight.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #33
iamperplexed
2006 2WD LX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Quarter turn after hand tight.
Much appreciated, thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #34
Hajidub
2005 4WD EXS
Rallye Red (RR)

To the poster who is having the misfiring issues, even after a spark plug change, it's probably pointing you to the ignition coil.
Hajidub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #35
iamperplexed
2006 2WD LX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Finally got around to changing the plugs last month and now I'm getting terrible mpg. 13 - 15 around town. Here's the back story. I purchased a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for the job and after several attempts, couldn't get it to click. So using info from the forum, I did the job by feel. After checking mileage, I immediately knew something was wrong. Went to Autozone, borrowed a (faulty) torque wrench and repeated the process. After not getting it to work, again I did it the old fashioned way by feel only this time a little tighter than "hand tight then quarter turn". I know what you're thinking, "this guy doesn't know how to use a torque wrench". However, the guy at autozone couldn't get it to work correctly when I returned it to them. So, after I re-installed plugs my mileage was back up to normal. Now, a few tanks later, I'm getting 15mpg around town. What gives? Improper tightening and compression leaking? Maybe someone is stealing my gas! I've come up with several scenarios in my head. Maybe someone else has a theory?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #36
k-series
Advertiser/Technical Writer
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Is everyone making sure that the plugs installed are correctly gapped for their motor? You can't just take a new plug and screw it in.

http://youtu.be/lk70oyUEftY

Steve
Old 01-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #37
iamperplexed
2006 2WD LX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-series View Post
Is everyone making sure that the plugs installed are correctly gapped for their motor? You can't just take a new plug and screw it in.

http://youtu.be/lk70oyUEftY

Steve
I checked gap but no adjustment was required before install. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #38
larrh7
2004 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

spark plugs good or bad?

I just bought my 2004 Element used with 89000 miles on it. I was going to put new plugs in even though it is running fine. It has KGKIZFR6K-11 plugs in it and the tip looks fine. The gap is set at .40 like they should be. Is there anyway of telling if they are good or not? I don't want to replace them if they are ok. I'm guessing the the origonal plugs.
larrh7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #39
motoracer47
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcvtec View Post
i have been working on cars for years but i have never changed spark plugs on a direct injected engine/coil pack ignition.

Just gotta throw this out, our engine's do have coil packs, but do not have direct injection. Honda is pretty late to the game on that, they just now have implemented DI on the new "Earth Dreams" engines.

The tube thing is a good idea. I always just use an extension with a spark plug socket, but I've been working on cars a long time and just have a feel for being able to tell if Im cross threading or not.

As far as plugs go, I have always had good luck with NGK and Denso's. Main thing would be getting a plug that is the proper heat range for our engines. Obviously gapping them correctly is important as well. If someone wanted to really get the most out of their ignition system, here is a trick I learned from my racing days. You will get the best light-off by having the open end of the electrode facing the intake valves. You can buy a spark plug shim kit that allows for adjusting which way the plugs face once installed. Its kinda time consuming to do, and for a street engine, I doubt its really worth it, but I will say I did notice a difference on my racing engines.
motoracer47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #40
eedviking
2003 2WD EX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

http://archive.org/details/gov.archives.arc.44039.2
eedviking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.