Clicking/Popping front suspension - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
joego
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 4WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Clicking/Popping front suspension

First off I want to thank everyone in this forum. I have learned so much and started fixing up my 2003 4X4 EX (126k miles).

With the help of this forum and some gumption, I was able to change all 4 shock absorbers assemblies, stabilizer links and the outer tie rod ends in the front. I did an alignment (trusted shop stated all newly installed part looked tight) and there is a night and day difference in handling. After changing out all the parts, I am still getting an intermittent popping/clicking noise when driving over bumps and a popping noise when making medium force turns (mostly left) or S turns. I have checked the CV axles and the boots are intact. I do not see anything out of the ordinary in the rack and pinion. I will say the ball joint boots look blown and I’m sure they need to be replaced. Would the worn ball joints give these types of symptoms? I also read it could possibly be the lower control arms.

Any advice is most welcome.
joego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
jesbecause
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to jesbecause
Since you're going to replace the ball joints , might as well change the compliance bushings to , those are probably the source of your noise ....
Lots of reading here:http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...iance+bushings

Good luck

Last edited by jesbecause; 11-28-2012 at 02:11 PM.
jesbecause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
joego
2003 4WD EX AT

Thank you for the reply and the link. I am now tumbling down the front suspension rabbit hole :) Tons of great reading
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
yednor
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Root Beer Metallic (RBM)

I hade the same issues, turning left and eventually upon take off even. It was compliance bushings for me. Did both front and rear lower control arm bushings and both ball joints. Problem solved!
Mods: 18 inch wheels, smoked headlights, fog lights, tail lights and emblems, Yakima roof rack, eclipse DVD player, smoked side markers, interior LEDs, black side steps, HD grill mod, led 3rd brake light
yednor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
MotownSballa
2003 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yednor View Post
I hade the same issues, turning left and eventually upon take off even. It was compliance bushings for me. Did both front and rear lower control arm bushings and both ball joints. Problem solved!
so your suspension was pretty noisy also? i have noise everytime i hit a bump, sounds like its coming from all 4 sides not sure if its the same problem.
MotownSballa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
yednor
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Root Beer Metallic (RBM)

I also had a knocking noise at all four corners, I did sway bar bushings and end links to clear that up
Mods: 18 inch wheels, smoked headlights, fog lights, tail lights and emblems, Yakima roof rack, eclipse DVD player, smoked side markers, interior LEDs, black side steps, HD grill mod, led 3rd brake light
yednor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
MotownSballa
2003 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by yednor View Post
I also had a knocking noise at all four corners, I did sway bar bushings and end links to clear that up
i called the dealer this morning, guy in parts claimed there wasn't bushing for the end links.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownSballa View Post
guy in parts claimed there wasn't bushing for the end links.
That is correct.
ramblerdan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
MotownSballa
2003 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblerdan View Post
That is correct.
thanks. Purchased the front ones today. going to put them in on saturday. Hopefully it takes care of the problems. I couldn't believe the oem ones are cheaper then what autozone/kragen sell.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
joego
2003 4WD EX AT

I’m still gathering information on the ball joint and LCA compliance/rear bushings replacement. I will eventually be replacing them, but since I will have everything disassembled, should I also replace the CV Axles. From what I have read, taking everything off to get to the CV axles is the hard part.

Any advice is most welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.