Wiring question for side mirror blinkers - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
liamket
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Wiring question for side mirror blinkers

I'm working on a DIY install of blinkers in my side mirrors. Just wondering if anyone has any advice when it comes to wiring... Should I splice into the blinker wires up under the hood? Or can it be done under the dash? I've done the side marker blinker mod, but I don't want to have the lights illuminate with the headlights, only with the blinker switch.

Once it's all done, I'll post a step by step of everything I did. Any help would be appreciated!
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Some relevant threads:

LED signal mirrors
FINALLY Heated Mirrors
installing turn signal mirrors
Need electrical help
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Gilboy
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 4WD EX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

This is mine

Route them through the fenders to the side turn signals.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...6&highlight=fj
Honda fogs, billet grills with painted surround, double tinted sunroof, tinted fronts, side turn signal mod, double dome light mod, LED dome and map lights, DT 1.25 hitch with Honda harness, 18" ARD Hyperblack wheels 225-60-18 tires, 225-75-16 snow tires on black OE wheels, LED marker and turn signals on outside mirrors, inside temp and compass mirror mod, ultimate homemade center console, bedrug full carpet set, extra tilt wheel mod, dog barrier mod, LED under dash lights mod, $10 CAI
Gilboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Alaskan_Toaster
Premium Member
2007 4WD EX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilboy View Post
Route them through the fenders to the side turn signals.
OK, but WHERE did you tap into the wires? Did you go all the way up front, or can you tap into each side sooner than that? I have not done the side blinker mod, since I have other ideas, so it's still stock there.

Yes, I went through ALL the above links, but none really mentioned about where they tapped into the TS wiring.

Here's the ts wiring diagram from the service manual:
Attached Images

Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be, so enjoy this day while it lasts.

Last edited by Alaskan_Toaster; 04-02-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Alaskan_Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 4WD EXS AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Toaster View Post
OK, but WHERE did you tap into the wires? Did you go all the way up front, or can you tap into each side sooner than that? I have not done the side blinker mod, since I have other ideas, so it's still stock there.

Yes, I went through ALL the above links, but none really mentioned about where they tapped into the TS wiring.
I did the side blinker mod (Shen's mod), but still connected the side mirror wires to the conductors just behind the front signal lights. Left:Grn/Red & Blk ; Right:Grn/Yel & Blk

I have the details of routing the wiring in one of my albums. Look at the individual photos to read the details. The multi-conductor cable shown in the under hood photo has the conductors for the mirror lights and the DRLs in it.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...hp?albumid=311
Element enhancements: LED DRLs, mirror turn signals and map/dome lamps; Shen's Side Turn Signals; Custom roof rack and platform/table, garment hooks, carpeting, foam floor and dash/cup holder liners; HD A/C grill guard, faux driving lamps, Honda mudflaps, AVS Vent Visors 192725, AVS Bugflector II 24747, Skylight Tint, Broadway BW84/270 Mirror, Yokohama AVID TRZ 225/70-16 tires, Group 56 battery, ET2025 exhaust tip, HF oil drain kit

Last edited by psschmied; 04-20-2012 at 09:52 AM.
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Alaskan_Toaster
Premium Member
2007 4WD EX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

THANKS!! Hoping NOT to have to go all the way to the front, but, no biggie, just more wire, right??

Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be, so enjoy this day while it lasts.
Alaskan_Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Island E
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by psschmied View Post
I keep forgetting that not everybody has the hood shocks so they still have that ugly hood prop stick thing in their cars.
Island E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
liamket
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

it's been a while. I put this project on hold because i was having trouble finding the answers i need.

The key is that I don't want the LED's lit constantly when the driving lights are on. Only when the directionals are activated. I'm afraid that putting them into the side blinker mod wiring is going to light them up.

It's probably common sense and a simple relay/splice job, but I'm really unfamiliar with wiring and need a step by step. If anyone is willing to take the time to walk me through it, I'd be extremely grateful.

The LED strips I installed into the glass have a simple 2-wire, positive/negative wire leading to them. No ground.

Cheers,

Liam
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
ramblerdan
Semiretirederator
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

> The LED strips I installed into the glass have a simple 2-wire,
> positive/negative wire leading to them. No ground.
Negative = ground.

> I don't want the LED's lit constantly when the driving lights are on.
> Only when the directionals are activated. I'm afraid that putting them
> into the side blinker mod wiring is going to light them up.
Tap into the turn signals. A test light will tell you which wire goes to the turn-signal filament.

> a simple relay/splice job
LEDs draw so little current that neither a relay nor a separate fuse is needed.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.