Valley or U-Haul Class II Hitch Install-Hints & Tips - Page 20 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #191
Watt-man
EOC Rank: Helium
2007 SC 2WD 6MT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

U-Haul CQT 118465 Wiring harness rocks!

Well, no one chimed in with any help so I'll provide it myself in the hopes it will help someone in the future. After hitting the U-haul dealer, he was able to figure out that the "118465" is really in their books as a "CQT 118465" for $47. Perfect for my '07! There are two pieces to the install - a diode box which installs under the dash in about 30 seconds, and a harness that simply plugs into the existing harness pigtail in the spare tire well. The pigtail in the spare tire well is 'dead' until you install the diode box under the dash. DONE. The actual work is to run the rest of the wiring pigtail in the back out to the hitch... took some work but I've run it out through the factory rubber grommet for the tailgate (license plate lights) and around the structural member which is actually the bumper.

Unless there's some life issue with the diode box, this is under half price of the Honda parts but 'the same parts' in my view. Excellent!
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #192
thrifty bill
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2010 4WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphwilliams66 View Post
Yesterday, I installed the U-Haul #78258 Receiver Hitch (2") on my 03 Element.

U-Haul wanted almost $100 to install hitch and wiring.
Need to separate hitch and wiring. I had the hitch installed this AM at the local UHaul dealer. $134 for the hitch, $27 install, but $10 back for ordering it off the web. So all of $17 to install the hitch.

Now its an easy install for sure, bolts right on, fit nicely on my 2010.

Their cost on wiring was high, so I ordered a kit off the web, and will install tht myself.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #193
thrifty bill
2010 4WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

So I just installed the eTrailer wiring kit. You talk about easy. Direct plug in to existing plug in the spare tire hatch, and direct plug in to the wiring under the dash. Took less than one minute to complete, ONCE I found the plug under the dash. Finding the plug took about five minutes.

U Haul wanted $55 to install the wiring harness! WTF? I assume they must use a generic harness. So I would not have U Haul do the electrical installation. On the hitch, its an easy job, but for the $17.50 installation charge, I would let them do it.

Last edited by thrifty bill; 07-14-2012 at 04:11 PM.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #194
Wrenchmeister
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Notes from Valley hitch installation

I just installed a valley hitch I got from ebay. I used a craw bar to stretch the holes instead of drilling or grinding. 10 seconds job, no shavings, no sparks or noise.

Rest of the install went well as well. Had a bit of tight fit locating the hitch due the excess undercoating. I used a floor jack to push the hitch in place. The hitch itself shaved off the excess.

Decided not to raise the E or use ramps to reduce the lifting. A creeper did the job just fine.

The job was a piece of cake. Now I need to find the harness...

Last edited by Wrenchmeister; 10-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Wrenchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #195
wrxdan2002
2004 2WD LX MT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

Are the 04's hitches different then some of the later years? I look at a used U-haul hitch & it did not seem to fit width wise?
wrxdan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #196
Wrenchmeister
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

They fit all years. There are hitches that install inside the support members and there is some longer hitches that install to the outside of the support rails.
But they all fit all years.
Wrenchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #197
fujirio
2008 2WD LX AT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

any one got pictures of the hitch from u-haul on their element?
fujirio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #198
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirio View Post
See the pictures above. Uhaul doesn't manufacture them instead they sell hitches by Vallley, Da Lan, Hidden and others with a Uhaul sticker on them. The hitches for the Element are all basically the same.
GaryS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #199
Watt-man
2007 SC 2WD 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirio View Post
Here are a few of mine. I had seen a few statements by others that to mount it on an 07-08 SC or all 09's and up, that you're supposed to notch the bumper for clearance. I didn't like that so I redrilled tbe rear mounting holes and made a spacer at the back so it would just fit tightly under the bumper without pushing up against it. You might have to stare a minute at the photos to ignore the trailer and receiver to appreciate where it all is. You can also hit your local Honda dealer and ask for a trailer hitch plug for a Ridgeline which is a drop-in and is cheap as well!

As you can see in the second photo the hitch is flush with the bumper - doesn't stick out and fits nicely.
Attached Images

Last edited by Watt-man; 02-25-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Watt-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #200
Watt-man
2007 SC 2WD 6MT

Spacer Photo.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.