Small battery driving you nuts? A BIGGER BATTERY FITS! - Page 23 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #221
wli98122
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Great thread! Must be lucky: my OEM died at 72 months and 67K miles last month. Stuck in a Costco 51R 100 month unit.
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #222
racerc2000
EOC Rank: Carbon
2010 SC 2WD 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legioss View Post
Uhhh, got pix? You've made me curious.
im sorry I didnt see the interest. and took so long to reply

heres some pics of the extra space the new airbox made.
I still use the oem batt for the time being though.

and it doesnt force you into using an intake or removing the box. the civic si lower box uses the same drop in filter as element. (just a note. this only works for 07+ but I dont see why you cant fill the maf hole with epoxy and use the box on older non maf elements. if you gather all the extra parts.)

In solitude, where we are least alone.

Last edited by racerc2000; 09-15-2012 at 02:56 PM.
racerc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #223
Island E
EOC Rank: Silicon
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eww-an E View Post
^^Magic, it looks as though you didn't install the spacer that came with your Optima. If you have the spacer I'd definitely suggest installing it.

Here's how my 34R looks like with the spacer.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...8&postcount=77

THAT's what that thing was for. Doh!!
I threw mine away. Hehehe
Island E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #224
Legioss
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 2WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerc2000 View Post
im sorry I didnt see the interest. and took so long to reply

heres some pics of the extra space the new airbox made.
I still use the oem batt for the time being though.

and it doesnt force you into using an intake or removing the box. the civic si lower box uses the same drop in filter as element. (just a note. this only works for 07+ but I dont see why you cant fill the maf hole with epoxy and use the box on older non maf elements. if you gather all the extra parts.)
Wow, that WAS interesting. Thanks

Future E:
2012-2016 Element SC FWD AT - *Murdered by Honda*

Last edited by AztecRol; 09-18-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Legioss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #225
ob3
EOC Rank: Helium
2003 4WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
Just get the size 56 battery. If you remove the outer cover you will see a small battery. The size 56 is the size of the cover you removed. It will fit with the a new plastic (not rubber) adjustable hold down clamp.. Easy.
Just did this (Interstate group 56 battery). OEM battery lasted 9 years, but is getting weak.
I also added a piece of 1/2" thick foam board to fill in the recessed center area of the battery tray (see post #96 of this thread: http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...=50371&page=10).

I used some other brand of universal adjustable plastic battery hold down clamp, since the local store did not carry the Lynx brand, but they all work the same.
The OEM hold down rods were just long enough - maybe the Lynx-brand battery hold down gives more room, but I only had 1/8" of threads showing after both nuts are threaded on.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #226
Legioss
2004 2WD EX AT

Quote:
I read elsewhere that the effect of the code differs on certain days, and that was a 1 day deal (for the 30), and the other days is only 5 off 50. Allegedly, they repeat the sale monthly (for 1 day), and you can get a low price guarantee (difference refunded), if you go back on the 30% day, with your receipt. I'll be watching for this and attempting to verify in the next 14 days.

Thanks Free_man_E,
I got the exact same one. Very simple install. I just needed larger hold down (the adjustable plastic one).
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=73013
I've been watching SEARS for battery sales to get some of my full price money back. As of TODAY, there is apparently a "10% extra savings event" on batteries, through Friday 7am CT. Might be a good time to buy one if you were considering. You can still use the discount code SEARS2012 for another $5off too. The Diehard Advanced Gold AGM I bought dropped $20 total.

A little hat-tip to SEARS: The low price guarantee is actually within 14 days, NOT 30. However, I tried to fill out the low price guarantee form online anyway. The form refused to submit, so I got a sales person in a chat window. After a while they transferred me to an automotive sales person in the chat window. After a while from then, and my explanation about the form not working, they decided to HONOR their guarantee even outside the 14 days. Wow. The previous time I dealt with Sears they screwed me. I wasn't expecting good service. Technically, I was on day 17 of 14, and the newer lower price, to my knowledge, only started on day 17. Again, pleasantly surprised.

Future E:

Last edited by Legioss; 09-19-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #227
nfbully
2005 2WD EX MT
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

Quote:
I've been watching SEARS for battery sales to get some of my full price money back. As of TODAY, there is apparently a "10% extra savings event" on batteries, through Friday 7am CT. Might be a good time to buy one if you were considering. You can still use the discount code SEARS2012 for another $5off too. The Diehard Advanced Gold AGM I bought dropped $20 total.
Seriously, you rock man for posting this. I was able to save $55 bucks on this battery with only a couple hours to spare on the deal! I had to make an account, being a recent Element owner, specifically to tell you thanks!
nfbully is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #228
Elemental Guy
2004 4WD LX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

I had a 51R in my 2004 Element. It started not being able to hold a charge. Mornings were always scary---will it start? For months I've been trickle charging it, hoping the next morning it would start. It was a Kirkland and only 8 months old! Lots of research here---alternator? Loose battery connections? Bad luck?

Finally I went back to Costco and got a size 35, 640 CCA as opposed to the anemic 51R 500 CCA. Installation was fairly straightforward, in the parking lot. Bent down the tabs, had an expandable battery tie down with me but the stock threaded rods weren't long enough. They were long enough on paper but not in reality. I camstrapped the battery in place till I got back to O'Reilleys for longer rods.

I stuck the package I got with the expandable tie down into the tray to fill it up a bit. Not ideal but that worked. Talk about a minimalist install. I put a lead thimble-looking thing on my positive post so the stock clamp would actually grip tightly.

And it starts like it should. Instead of some lame cranking that got slower after 2 seconds, this battery starts with authority and actually cranks faster after one second. What a relief. 8 degrees tonight, we'll see what happens tomorrow morning!
Elemental Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #229
Legioss
2004 2WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbully View Post
Seriously, you rock man for posting this. I was able to save $55 bucks on this battery with only a couple hours to spare on the deal! I had to make an account, being a recent Element owner, specifically to tell you thanks!
Glad I could be of help. Many members here have helped me in many ways, so I try to give back when I can.

Maybe common knowledge, but was new to me: O'reilly (and probably the others) PAY for your old battery. I recycled mine at an O'R in SoCal and got a $5 gift card. =)

Future E:
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #230
Boy Wonder
2003 2WD EX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

New outdoor record for stock battery?

My original battery just died.........2003 Element...I bought the element new. 10 years...not too bad.
Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.