Ac Condensor Fan - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
robb5150
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2003 2WD DX AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

UPDATE:
I checked all fuses and relays, they were OK. After doing the procedure for the HVAC self-check as outlined on the Factory Service Manual, this points to either the compressor or the compressor's pressure switch.
Is there any away to diagnose either one, or are we talking about specialized service from the dealer or an A/C shop?
robb5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
johneday
2007 2WD EX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Replaced AC Fan, Now Radiator Fan Won't Turn On

Guys,

I appreciate the posts regarding the replacement of the AC compressor fan. Very helpful.

I removed my old fan and installed the new condenser fan but then noticed that the radiator fan won't turn on. I was careful working around the two wires that attach to the bottom of the new compressor fan, and I am not sure what else I may have done.

The radiator fan was operating correctly just yesterday. Maybe it is coincidence and it just happened to die, but the chances seem slim.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
johneday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Legioss
EOC Rank: Carbon
2004 2WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johneday View Post
Guys,

I appreciate the posts regarding the replacement of the AC compressor fan. Very helpful.

I removed my old fan and installed the new condenser fan but then noticed that the radiator fan won't turn on. I was careful working around the two wires that attach to the bottom of the new compressor fan, and I am not sure what else I may have done.

The radiator fan was operating correctly just yesterday. Maybe it is coincidence and it just happened to die, but the chances seem slim.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.
I'm pretty violent with some installs. I installed new fans THREE TIMES, once the wrong model, and still had both running fine. I vaguely recall fan info was switched somewhere. Did you visually verify (looking under hood) which was/wasn't running before replacing same one? And that 1 starts with the car starting, and the other starts with the AC turned on (if I recall correctly, no time to read on way to work).

Future E:
2012-2015 Element SC FWD AT - *Murdered by Honda*
Legioss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
desinia
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitars555 View Post
can anyone tell me if the condenser fan should run at the same time as the radiator fan? My Radiator fan runs properly, but the condenser fan does not seem to run at all.
Easiest way to check is turn on your A/C and look under the hood. If it went on, you're fine.

It's the night of the blood moon.
Did you get your taxes filed?
desinia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #15
johneday
2007 2WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legioss View Post
I'm pretty violent with some installs. I installed new fans THREE TIMES, once the wrong model, and still had both running fine. I vaguely recall fan info was switched somewhere. Did you visually verify (looking under hood) which was/wasn't running before replacing same one? And that 1 starts with the car starting, and the other starts with the AC turned on (if I recall correctly, no time to read on way to work).
Thank you for your suggestions Legioss. It was definitely the ac compressor fan (passenger side) that was the dead fan, while the radiator fan (driver's side) was turning at all times when the engine was on.

You made a good point about being careful with installations. There are two wires that clip to the bottom of the compressor fan housing, and I have no idea what they do. They do not operate the compressor fan, but appear to use the housing as an anchor point. Maybe I cut into one of the wires when I re-attached them to the new housing. Who knows - maybe one or both of them control the radiator fan that will not start.

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
johneday
2007 2WD EX AT

As it turns out, after checking the radiator fan with the car battery (on advice from very helpful forum members), the radiator fan is dead. I thought it would be too much of a coincidence to have the radiator fan die just after installing the new AC compressor fan, but it happened. I suppose it makes sense, considering that the radiator fan was having to work so hard during the time the compressor fan was dead. Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
abakja1
2004 2WD EX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legioss View Post
First, Thank You VBsnow for saving me approx. $600 of repair costs by ordering and doing this myself.

Second, a few edits per my experience yesterday installing my new condenser fan:

I bought a "TYC" brand replacement from "CarPartsDiscount" via Ebay. Unfortunately, their '1-day shipping' (via shipping map), was preceded by '9-day processing'. =( Also, DOUBLE-CHECK your part numbers!!! I actually ended up with the wrong fan, and had to make it fit. Make sure it is listed by YOUR year Element.

Note that he said RADIATOR. I thought he was referring to the fan bolts, and made this a lot harder on myself.

Yes. When replacing, there is a tab on the bottom that fits into a groove. You can see it with a flashlight.

There are TWO connectors on my '04. "C" (see pic) is for the fan, and "D" (white) is for something else, just passing by. Please note that these pictures were taken from my head underneath the bumper, looking up. I couldn't get these off from the top, so I ended up removing the large cover under the car and doing it from the bottom. The "C" connector is the same as on the top of the fan. Practice on the one on top to make sure you understand how it works before trying the bottom. I STILL had a hard time, and ended up breaking it off the fan (on top and bottom). A small tab breaks, but no worries, as the new fan will have a brand new small tab to attach to. After disconnected from the fan frame, remember to also pull the "C" connectors apart from each other, to remove that little broken tab from the connector, so the new one will have a place to go. The "D" connector is a 'pinch, then pull to remove'. Pinch per green arrows, pull out towards right of photo. Remember, looking up from underneath. "C" on left, "D" on right.

Indeed.

Rods are easy to align from underneath. Plug the "C" connectors back together AND attach to the new fan frame. Remember to slide "D" back into place too. Reattach everything your moved/removed on the top as well.

Bam!
Just fyi, the D plug that retains the wire can be opened with a flat head screwdriver. No need to remove the plug from the fan shroud if done from the top. Makes it easier than removing the bottom plastic shroud. Yu will still need to disconnect the C plug frm the shroud though,..

Discovered this while changing out my alternator.
abakja1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 PM   #18
Legioss
2004 2WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

A little FYI. I was recently working on newer Elements, and the fan behaviors are different. I'm not sure where the design was changed (maybe 07?), but the fans control is partially temperature based. On 03-06(?), the radiator fan goes on if the engine is on, and the AC fan goes on when the AC is turned on. On newer years, 07+(?), the engine needs to heat up to a certain temperature and AC may or may not need to be turned on, to make both under-hood fans go on.

Also, remember to check fuses and relays for the fans in the under-hood fuse box. I have had the AC fan go out three times (the fan itself, not the fuse or relay), but this weekend we found an Element that was completely missing a relay AND the fan was dead.

Future E:
2012-2015 Element SC FWD AT - *Murdered by Honda*
Legioss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.