Remote unlock timer - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Island E
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankybear View Post
Any recommendations for an alarm?
Go to an alarm shop and see what they have. Compustar, Viper, Clifford...all good stuff.

You can add on bells and whistles until the cows come home. One way remotes, 2 way pager types, Auto start, shock sensors, trunk poppers, remote window regulators, temperature sensors...the list goes on and on.
Island E is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankybear View Post
Do you have any tangible info on a mod about the re-lock timer?
There is none. The timer is built into the computer and not adjustable. It's burned into a chip somewhere as part of the program.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Audiophyle
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

All aftermarket alarms do this same thing, and as far as I can remember is not something you can turn off.

The reason alarms relock after a timed period is a saftey precaution. In the event that the unlock button is ever pressed on accident (in a pocket or purse) the alarm will auto re-lock if no doors are opened in order to keep you from accidentally leaving your car unlocked. To me this seems like a valuable feature, especially on aftermarket alarms that have much longer remote ranges.

The only way to defeat the timer is to open a door after unlocking, or trick the alarm into thinking a door has been opened.

You can use a relay to temporarily connect the door pin wire to chassis ground to fool the alarm/car into thinking the door had been opened, canceling the re-lock counter.
The hard part will be finding a suitable trigger to activate the relay when you unlock the car. The only thing I can think that could work would be the unlock trigger wire (under the dash). The trigger wire is a low current negative (chassis ground) which could activate a relay, the only issue is it has a very short pulse (Im talking milliseconds).
I cannot say for certain, but it should work. The relay should then click on & off which would give the door trigger wire a short ground pulse telling the car the door had been opened & closed real fast.

A car stereo place could do this for you, and would probably need the car for a couple hours ($50~$100 cost) in order to test and make sure it is working properly.
A lot of work to bypass such a trivial thing and is probably why its never been posted on here, but it is possible.

Last edited by Audiophyle; 12-13-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Audiophyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #14
Island E
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

None of my aftermarket alarms ever did the auto relocking thing. I've had a couple Compustars and a Clifford. Hit unlock/disarm and they stay unlocked.

My one way Compustar in my Element right now does the same thing. It's not an alarm, but an autostart. It locks/unlocks the doors as well as starts the car if you shut it off so it arms the autostart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.