Differential Fluid Change Info - Page 43 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #421
ramblerdan
EOC Rank: Neptunium
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblerdan View Post
Since you obviously have a 4WD model, and only need to raise the rear of the car for this service, you can use the bottom of the rear differential.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #422
flyeveryday
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

ApriliaGuy, thanks so much for posting the pictures. I followed all your steps and fixed it all myself!
flyeveryday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #423
CACTUS24
2010 4WD EX 5AT
Eternal Blue Pearl (EBP)

I just changed the rear axle and auto trans with honda dual pump II and HONDA ATF at 3 years 25,000 miles. The rear axle was o.k. The new dual pump II is certainly fresher oil, the auto trans oil was getting dirty. Don't wait for problems. The honda factory oil drain plugs are tight, use compact head 1/2 drive racket, 1/2 drive extension wobble and 1/2 to 3/8 adaper.
Hopkins FloTool 10106B/6.
Attached Images

Last edited by CACTUS24; 09-09-2012 at 10:54 AM.
CACTUS24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #424
Henry89
2004 4WD EX MT
Crystal Black Pearl (CBP)

First post but glad I found this place

I have a 2004 Honda ELEMENT (5DR EX (4WD SD A/B) - KA5MT) that I bought used a few years ago. It currently has 96K miles on it and I'm getting ready to change the diff and trans fluid. Ever since I got my E there's been a knocking noise that sounds like it's coming from the front right or center. It's a metal to metal sound and is mostly heard when I go over a speed bump or drive on a gravel road and go over pot wholes...I've looked and looked and can seem to find what is knocking. Had the local shop go over it and they said they couldn't find anything either. Any ideas? Could this noise be coming from the diff? The noise almost sounds like a busted shock that is bottoming out....
Henry89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #425
Elaphant1
2005 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry89 View Post
I have a 2004 Honda ELEMENT (5DR EX (4WD SD A/B) - KA5MT) that I bought used a few years ago. It currently has 96K miles on it and I'm getting ready to change the diff and trans fluid. Ever since I got my E there's been a knocking noise that sounds like it's coming from the front right or center. It's a metal to metal sound and is mostly heard when I go over a speed bump or drive on a gravel road and go over pot wholes...I've looked and looked and can seem to find what is knocking. Had the local shop go over it and they said they couldn't find anything either. Any ideas? Could this noise be coming from the diff? The noise almost sounds like a busted shock that is bottoming out....
I would try another shop.

Also check the front struts for leaking fluid.

Darth Toaster
2005 LX FWD MT
EX overhead compartment
EX subwoofer
Home Depot Lower Front Grill
Yellow Fogs w factorty switch
Elaphant1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #426
vtzdriver
EOC Rank: Helium
2006 4WD EX
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

I'd be willing to bet it's a sway bar bushing worn out- or possibly your exhaust system rattling on the rear sway bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry89 View Post
Ever since I got my E there's been a knocking noise that sounds like it's coming from the front right or center. It's a metal to metal sound and is mostly heard when I go over a speed bump or drive on a gravel road and go over pot wholes...I've looked and looked and can seem to find what is knocking. Had the local shop go over it and they said they couldn't find anything either. Any ideas? Could this noise be coming from the diff? The noise almost sounds like a busted shock that is bottoming out....
vtzdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #427
Elaphant1
2005 4WD LX MT

Good call. Either way should be an easy find for a decent tech.

Just did the Diff Fluid. Gravity feed worked great!

Thanks for the post!!!

Darth Toaster
2005 LX FWD MT
EX overhead compartment
EX subwoofer
Home Depot Lower Front Grill
Yellow Fogs w factorty switch

Last edited by Elaphant1; 10-10-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Elaphant1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #428
EleMN
2005 4WD EX AT

You guys saved A LOT of dough

I am sitting in the Honda dealership waiting room after returning 3 weeks after they changed my rear diff fluid and my differential is still making noise. I have about 90k miles and have kept up with the service.
I knew other places did it cheaper, but the service sales person said they do a flush that other places do not do and that would be needed to take care of the groaning sound I'm hearing. They quoted $260 for this! No, this is not even part of a package. Just a rear diff "flush" and refill that did not even solve my problem. I am happy to pay for good and knowledgeable service that saves problems later on, but Honda was more than 4 times more than other places and didn't deliver. Very disappointed.
EleMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #429
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Flush? I'm sure we all would want to know what that entails.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #430
EleMN
2005 4WD EX AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Flush? I'm sure we all would want to know what that entails.
After they looked again, they explained what was done was a "brandishing" which entailed using a fluid with a detergent and running the wheels on a lift with that, then flushing it out with rear diff fluid and finally refilling. They said that since it didn't help, I would need to replace the rear diff to fully get rid of the "groaning" during tighter turning. Of course that would cost over $3,000. If I had known the $260 was a shot in the dark that may or may not help, I would have just had one of the $60 changes.
EleMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Tags
differential fluid change

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.