Another Catalytic converter stolen in Chicago Area - Page 7 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #61
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrangella View Post
Is an aftermarket cat just a problem waiting to happen?
I've put aftermarket catalytic converters on three of the vehicles I've owned and have never had a problem. (I tend to keep cars for a long time.)
GaryS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #62
EdwardChen
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2007 4WD EX 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesbecause View Post
Once you do the above , no problem with emissions ! This repair , after Cat is installed , should cost no more then $100 . The trick here is buying that collar/donut from the muffler shop , Meineke/Midas are the only ones to carry this , so worse comes to worse , just buy the collar and go to any mechanic that can weld , he'll probably want the rest of the job and ask you where you purchased the collar .

Good luck
Quick update, I got under my car and saw that the place I went to did weld one of those collars in. I extended my honda OEM sensor by about 4" and swapped out the generic sensor. It all looks good to me so far, it's been one day, about 50 miles and 6-7 starts without the light coming back. I'll check out the readiness code next time I remember to bring out the scanner.

Hopefully my mileage will go back to 20-22 after being about 17-18 since the cat was stolen.

Thanks again!

<edit> Just checked, Cat readiness code is set, so it's all good :)

Last edited by EdwardChen; 11-19-2012 at 11:10 PM.
EdwardChen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #63
jesbecause
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to jesbecause
Glad it worked out , you should also see a better MPG as you go . Just to be safe , buy some rubber electrical splicing tape ($2,H.D,Lowes) real sticky tape and heavy gauge , wrap the area you put the added length of wire , the underside is exposed to the elements , don't need this shorting out down the road at a bad time .......

Enjoy

Last edited by jesbecause; 11-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.
jesbecause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #64
EdwardChen
2007 4WD EX 5AT

Oh yeah! I wrapped the heck out of it with a bunch of electrical tape and heat shrink and some duct tape too. I staggered the cuts as well, so all the joints aren't all bunched up at the same point to short out, hopefully, worst case, the wires get loose and I have an open that I can resolder.

I don't know what the sensor wires are made of, but they were really hard to wet with solder.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #65
jesbecause
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD LX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to jesbecause
Don't want to hijack this thread , I forgot to mention about staggering the wires , good looking out ......... I think the wires are made with aluminum ......
jesbecause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #66
ariearch
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX 6MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Damn, been back and forth to west Chicago and staying for a while over Christmas again. What about this idea of a brush guard or whatever it's called tack welded under the cat. Or is this not feasible.
ariearch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #67
EdwardChen
2007 4WD EX 5AT

West Chicago as in the city of West Chicago (the suburb)? If you're out there, I wouldn't worry.

As for actually in the city, I wouldn't worry too much. I think that you'd have to have some pretty bad luck for them to be looking for a cat coincidentally the same time you're here.

Welding some bars across or putting in some aircraft cable probably doesn't hurt, if you have the capabilities and the time. I heard that aircraft cable (like in the Cat Clamp) is tougher to cut with a sawsall since it isn't rigid. I also feel that if you have the option and you're parking on the street, to park closer to the intersection.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #68
ariearch
2007 4WD EX 6MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Glen Ellyn area...
ariearch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #69
dvela85
2008 4WD EX 5AT

Mine was just stolen this morning. Who does this on Christmas morning. 60618 area
dvela85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #70
EdwardChen
2007 4WD EX 5AT

dang, christmas morning! Sorry to hear that. I was hoping the snowfall would help keep the thieves away!
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.