85,000 miles on my 2003 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
siclmn
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2003 2WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

85,000 miles on my 2003

Still going strong and original everything except tires and oils.
The question is can I rely on the little tabs on the brake shoes that will warn me about brake life? They are supposed to make a sound that I can't ignore. Will that happen?
siclmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Rick92040
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

It should however the best thing to do is take off a wheel and look at them. The next time you have your tires rotated ask the guy how the brakes look. My back brakes wore a little quicker than my front.
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
ajchien
EOC Rank: Helium

The tabs are usually on the inner brake pad only.

If there's uneven wear, your outer brake pad wouldn't make a sound until it hits metal.

Of course, you can visually see the outer pad.

On the other hand, sometimes people ignore the squeal, and the tab winds up breaking off.

Frankly, if you're worried about it, get yourself peace of mind by taking the wheels off and look.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
siclmn
2003 2WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

So today I looked at the pads and they were about 90% gone. $100 at the parts store for some carequest preimum pads and I am done. Very easy job. The disks were just like new and the pads all were wearing even. So now on to the battery. It is starting to sulfate at the terminals.
All those posts through out the years that I have been reading this forum from people who have all kinds of brake problems and the battery complaints of a weak battery, my Element has been a dream. This is the first time I have had to work on the car and I am an old mechanic.
siclmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Hajidub
2005 4WD EXS
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick92040 View Post
It should however the best thing to do is take off a wheel and look at them. The next time you have your tires rotated ask the guy how the brakes look. My back brakes wore a little quicker than my front.
Odd considering your back brakes only take 10% of the braking.

Siclmn; probably should have turned those rotors with that mileage. No biggy, will just wear the new pads unevenly and wear faster.
Hajidub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.