Time for another set of rubber - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
T Mac
EOC Founder, Admin
2004 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via ICQ to T Mac Send a message via AIM to T Mac Send a message via MSN to T Mac Send a message via Yahoo to T Mac
Time for another set of rubber

Running the Yokohama Geolander HTS right now. Thinking about going with the same thing unless anyone has any different opinions to sway my vote. Seems like Yoko's are still a favorite around the EOC.

Be well everyone!
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
Hajidub
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EXS
Rallye Red (RR)

I'm almost due myself, and yes I run the same tire as you. THis last set lasted 50K, not bad compared to the stock tires which last 20K. I like the Yokes because they're beefy, they do throw some road noise at Highway speeds, but I'm sure if Honda would have installed some wheel-well liners that would have been lessened.
Hajidub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 4WD EXS AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

(I'm sure that if someone read all your posts they'd know this, but . . . )

How many miles do the present tries have on them? What's the mix of your driving local/ hwy/poor roads/off road? How often do you currently pull a trailer or have a load on the roof?

I like the Yoko AVID TRZs that replaced the OEMs after 40,000 miles, but 100% of my driving is on well-paved roads, no trailer or roof load, and 2 occupants. I fill them to 33/35 psi and get >24 mpg hwy (indicated). Little road noise except on rough concrete, great handling.
Element enhancements: LED DRLs, mirror turn signals and map/dome lamps; Shen's Side Turn Signals; Custom roof rack and platform/table, garment hooks, carpeting, foam floor and dash/cup holder liners; HD A/C grill guard, faux driving lamps, Honda mudflaps, AVS Vent Visors 192725, AVS Bugflector II 24747, Skylight Tint, Broadway BW84/270 Mirror, Yokohama AVID TRZ 225/70-16 tires, Group 56 battery, ET2025 exhaust tip, HF oil drain kit

Last edited by psschmied; 12-13-2012 at 09:30 AM.
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
T Mac
EOC Founder, Admin
2004 4WD EXS AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via ICQ to T Mac Send a message via AIM to T Mac Send a message via MSN to T Mac Send a message via Yahoo to T Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by psschmied View Post
How many miles do the present tires have on them? What's the mix of your driving local/ hwy/poor roads/off road? How often do you currently pull a trailer or have a load on the roof?
I'm 100% highway and local road driving. We take it camping every once in a while, but that's rarely driving it off road or into anything crazy. And I would love to be able to get close to 24 MPG.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
EdwardChen
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2007 4WD EX 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Those HTS tires seem pretty beefy, kind of off-roady. Based on your purely on road driving habits, it might be work looking into something with less aggressive tread, which should help with on road traction and ride quality.

I hopped on tirerack to see the reviews, I know Bridgestone products the best, so I randomly chose this one, which has an added claim of improving gas mileage. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....yes&tab=Survey

The other manufacturers have their own brand of low rolling resistance tire. Just a thought!
Old 12-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 4WD EXS AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Mac View Post
I'm 100% highway and local road driving. We take it camping every once in a while, but that's rarely driving it off road or into anything crazy. And I would love to be able to get close to 24 MPG.
I'm located not too far from you and have similar driving habits, and except for color the same year and model as you. The Yoko AVID TRZs should work fine. I got the 225/70 size to boost the load capacity slightly. That size is about 4% larger than the OEM tire. It's an all weather touring type, but hasn't been a problem in snow. AWD is great!

Last week on a trip to Tennessee, I drove at a near constant 65 mph from Indianapolis to the middle of Kentucky on I74 and I75, and faster on the way back. l got 24.3 mpg one way and 24.2 on the return trip, both calculated using the odo. If the odo is accurate with the 215/70 tire, the actual mpg with the 225/70 was over 25. The city numbers suck - as low as 16 mpg when my spouse "warms it up" to make her many daily short trip to area stores .

I can't compare ride to the Geolandars, only had the OEMs and the AVIDs. The AVIDs ride a little bit harder than the OEMs, but steer easier. With 25,000 miles on them, they have +65% of the tread depth remaining. At this rate, they'll last longer than I'm able to continue driving.

If you want a set, you'll have to search for them. Discount Tire, where I bought mine, no longer lists them. Maybe you can get them by special order, or, they're listed at www.onlinetires.com for $515 delivered.

The AVID Ascend, a similar tire is at TireRack, for $475 a set, delivered.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rtnum=27HR6ASC.
Element enhancements: LED DRLs, mirror turn signals and map/dome lamps; Shen's Side Turn Signals; Custom roof rack and platform/table, garment hooks, carpeting, foam floor and dash/cup holder liners; HD A/C grill guard, faux driving lamps, Honda mudflaps, AVS Vent Visors 192725, AVS Bugflector II 24747, Skylight Tint, Broadway BW84/270 Mirror, Yokohama AVID TRZ 225/70-16 tires, Group 56 battery, ET2025 exhaust tip, HF oil drain kit

Last edited by psschmied; 12-15-2012 at 02:06 PM.
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
ShaneS
EOC Rank: Carbon
2010 4WD EX 5AT
Polished Metal Metallic (PMM)

Send a message via AIM to ShaneS
Tom, I just picked up a new to me CPO E last week and it came with a brand new set of General Grabbers, they seem to be really nice tires and the E rides tight and haldles great in the rain with them.
Alpine IVE-535HD DVD head Unit, JL Audio C2 Components up front, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2" coaxial's in the back, running stock sub and head unit power for now. OEM Roof Rack, OEM Bug Shield, OEM Rubber Floor Mats.. More to come!
ShaneS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #8
VP Electricity
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2011 4WD EX 5AT

Gonna vote for my Pirelli Scorpions. Really liking them.
VP Electricity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #9
ShaneS
EOC Rank: Carbon
2010 4WD EX 5AT

Send a message via AIM to ShaneS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
Gonna vote for my Pirelli Scorpions. Really liking them.

VP Electricity, I knew you name sounded familiar. I've seen you on the BMW E90 post as well.
Alpine IVE-535HD DVD head Unit, JL Audio C2 Components up front, Pioneer Premier 6 1/2" coaxial's in the back, running stock sub and head unit power for now. OEM Roof Rack, OEM Bug Shield, OEM Rubber Floor Mats.. More to come!
ShaneS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Menteng
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 *Former Element owner
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

I had these brands on my Element:

1. Yokohama Geolandar HTS
2. Yokohama Avid TRZ
3. Pirelli P6

The Pirelli P6 tires are a bit noisy, and becomes very apparent as the thread wears off. The traction is very decent, but I feel the ride is on the harsh side. It's being marketed as low-rolling resistance tires, and I don't know if that has something to do with ride quality.

Personally, I like the ride of the Geolandar, followed closely by the the Avid TRZ (which I have currently). They're very comparable, although I have yet to put more miles on the Avid TRZ. I'll be driving up to a snow park this weekend and I'll come back with a feedback on them.

Last edited by Menteng; 12-26-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Menteng is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Tires, Wheels and Suspensions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.