Anyone tried this platform idea? - Page 6 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #51
Amy H
EOC Rank: Helium
2011 4WD EX AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

I have had good luck with Minwax brand available at most lowes and home depot. Look into the wood conditioner. That goes on first and really helps with new wood to take the stain evenly. Stain is pretty easy after that. Just wipe in the direction of the grain and remember to gently stir the stain to get the color off the bottom of the can. Shaking it like wall paint doesn't really work. If you apply too much it will show as streaks instead of soaking into the wood and you can wipe it off with an old t-shirt if done quickly enough. The hardest part is the poly. If there is any moisture in the wood it will cause air bubbles and any dust will show. Poly usually needs more than one coat to make it super durable with a light sanding between coats. Unless you know some one that can spray the poly on. They sell poly in a can too. You can use a large fridge box as a spray booth if your shop has a gravel floor or lay down some plastic to keep the dust from stirring.

This is why I prefer paste wax. The wood also looks more natural with the wax and doesn't show wear as easily. Plus you can always rub on some more paste wax instead of having to sand down the piece to repoly. But the paste wax might not be as durable as you would like.

Maybe try your stain and finish coat on scraps like said previously to see what you prefer.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
MTBecamper77
Premium Member
2008 4WD EX 5AT

Back on the bench

So I added a back to the bench that doubles as a full platform. Under the bench I have supports that swing out plus support built into the back of the bench. Just swing out the supports from under the bench, remove the rear/back of the bench, place on supports parallel the bench, and you have a full platform. Still have a few things to work out, but so far so good...

unable to upload any photos at this time do to unbearably slow internet.
MTBecamper77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #53
MTBecamper77
Premium Member
2008 4WD EX 5AT

finally uploaded

So here are those pictures...my internet is still super slow...
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #54
MTBecamper77
Premium Member
2008 4WD EX 5AT

more pictures

Cut that back angle off the bench so its flush as a full platform. In the last picture you can see a bit of the other supports for the full platform. Put magnetic catches on all the bench supports so no rattles on the road in any position. When the bench is used with the back it has 3 bolts with wing nuts that hold it in place near the bottom. So what about the rear airbags? Do they work somehow like the front passenger seat in that they need a certain amount of weight in it. If so will my car think it has the rear seats in and with enough weight in them? I am clicked in to the side and floor on passenger side. Only on the side for the cabinet. Those side curtain airbags would be much the same with a seat at the wall or my cabinet. I don't know I just keep looking at them an wonder? Could I maybe have a on/off switch installed?
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #55
jdiane
EOC Rank: Neon
2007 4WD LX AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

cool build. I think I saw your E at Camino real shopping center the other day. Had I seen this I would have taken a closer look.

Other car: 1999 Acura Integra 150000 miles

jdiane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #56
MTBecamper77
Premium Member
2008 4WD EX 5AT

Yup. My Home Depot and BevMo
Old 12-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #57
MTBecamper77
Premium Member
2008 4WD EX 5AT

Put nobs on the doors just some I had laying around. Put actual T braces on the bench back and supports. better picture of the platform supports. Cut and put up the corrugated plastic in the rear window. From the outside it just looks like really dark tint. No light leaks through. Good stuff I recommend it. Plus the bench and e seat and the cabinet solo. Being able to remove them has been great just so that I can work on them in the shop.
Attached Images

Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #58
MTBecamper77
Premium Member
2008 4WD EX 5AT

Merry Christmas EOC!

cut the back down to below the window and even with the cabinet. Used T braces to lock the back in place with slide locks underneath to hold down. Added a cut out in the back to cut weight and add access to the slid lock. Almost there.....Thinking about a solid stain. Two colors matching the interior trim. So mostly black with grey trim. What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #59
Amy H
EOC Rank: Helium
2011 4WD EX AT

looking good! Like the curved bits on the bench. It makes it look much nicer. Try a black stain to see if you like it. The is also a recipe online for a steel wool and vinegar wash that comes out grey and is easy to apply.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #60
MTBecamper77
Premium Member
2008 4WD EX 5AT

Lightbulb

Do you not like the black solid stain? I was just going to use the solid stain to avoid all my sanding mistakes. That grey sounds interesting, but I was looking at matching my interior by bringing in samples and getting as close as possible. I just figured the solid stain vs paint was about protection of the wood. The solid stain actually penetrates the wood in stead of sitting on top. I could always just cut new pieces if I really hate it. None of the wood I used was expensive. Down the road I may buy better wood for the outside pieces and do a nicer job.

Did a few things to the bench. Changed the folding legs supports to to rigid with steel brace. Changed up the arch. Added a magnetic catch for the bench back with double sided tape on the car. It is only there to keep the bench from rattling while driving and works great. With the front seat folded all the way back it will line up perfectly after adding cushions to the bench.

Ill be in San Francisco for a few days around New Years if any EOCers want to check it out. Thanks again for all the interest.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.