idle air control valve (2003-06) - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #11
Bandicoot
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2004 4WD EX MT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Correct!

Valve set, rotary air control as seen in illustration #1 here:

Majestic Honda Throttle Body Parts

It comes with a new blue (silicone?) seal. Anti-seize on the threads of the phillips head bolts are probably a good idea too, as I nearly stripped the heads of the bolts trying to break torque on my second and third round of disassembly.

It would've been cheaper if I ordered it online, but I needed it fixed yesterday, so I went to the local dealer.

Last edited by Bandicoot; 10-28-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Bandicoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
stefanosg
2003 2WD LX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Send a message via MSN to stefanosg
Weak Start/Low Idle = Bad ICV

For the better part of a year, perhaps longer, I have been battling an intermitant problem with my 2003 Element. As I said she's a 2003 and she has about 98,000 miles on her now. The problem I have been having is a weak start and subsequent low idle. Usually the low idle works itself out once I get going. About a month ago, it wouldn't work itself out. I started off for work in the morning and had to nurse the car along with my right foot on the gas to maintain the idle and working the brake with my left. When I got to work I parked the car and went about my business. A couple of hours later, I tried to start it and had the same issue. I turned it off and went back to work. Several hours later when I went to lunch, I had to do the brake pedal gas pedal dance all the way home. At home I put the battery on the charger and tried the ECM reset. Still no joy. Mind you, I had been searching this forum all along for solutions to the problem. Before returning to work I came across something about the Idle Control Valve. The fact that it had been sticking came up. I then decided to give it a little whack. I took a long screwdriver and a small hammer and tapped the ICV a couple of times. Damned if she didn't fire right up! well, nearly a month has gone by since that remedy. I was still not 100% certain till today, if that was the problem. Less than an hour ago, I went to start the car to back it out of the garage and it happened. Weak start and low idle. The car was maintaining 500rpm's, but just barely. I popped the hood, hopped out and grabbed my screwdriver and hammer. One tap, I heard a slight woosh and the engine roared to life.

I mention this because I have seen quite a few threads about similar problems and many left unresolved. I imagine I am not the first to find this to be the problem, but in any case this is what I found.

Now I am left with, can this thing be cleaned or do I replace it? Looks to be just under $100 to replace it

Last edited by stefanosg; 02-19-2012 at 04:42 PM.
stefanosg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #13
presto88
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Hey Turk. Most likely replacing the Idle Control Valve would have solved his problem. I had similar symptoms in my '05 starting at around 80k miles (give or take). After putzing around for a long time trying to figure it out I decided to go with the common advice and replace the valve. Everything has been great ever since. You can find the thread where I detail my problem here:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...041&highlight=

If you skip down near the end you will see that I finally updated it with my solution. Just replace the valve and life will be good once again!
presto88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #14
The Toaster
2005 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Idle Air Control - need advice finding it and how to install myself

I have an automatic with 184,000 miles. Yesterday my E started idling in rhythm up and down between 1,000-2,000 rpm when in park, sometimes wanting to shut off as well also setting off the check engine light. Then, when stopped at a light I'd have to apply a little extra pressure on the brake as the car would want to surge off from a stop a little more aggressively than normal. I ran the codes at the auto parts store. Came back with one of 3 things...a large vacuum leak, throttle body concern or faulty idle air control valve. With my high mileage i'm pretty sure it's the IAC. I'm picking up the part from Napa auto parts tomorrow and would like to attempt this maybe tomorrow night. I am slightly mechanically inclined but have never done one of these before. I should add that I have done most of the routine maintenance along the way. I have not cleaned the throttle body or had the valves adjusted. I just recently changed the spark plugs, transmission fluid, oil, oil filter and air filter. Any insite and pictures on how to replace the IAC would be a great. Thanks in advance to the Element community!
'06 Glacier Blue Acura TSX (the wife's)

Last edited by The Toaster; 08-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
The Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #15
marksbug
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 2WD LX AT
Cargo Khaki (CK)

so is there a cleaning procedure for this??
marksbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #16
presto88
2005 4WD EX AT
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
so is there a cleaning procedure for this??
You can find do-it-yourself instructions for cleaning the throttle body here:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=57729

Cleaning the Idle Control Valve is part of the whole procedure. I didn't have much luck with the cleaning and decided to just replace the whole Idle Control Valve. It was only $130 or so from the dealer and there's nothing like brand new parts for solving this problem!
presto88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #17
Saphteemon
2003 2WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Ordered mine through rock auto.com for $83 bucks
Easy remove and replace
Idles perfect.
I love this car.
2003 element ex
Original owner
Only 76k miles.
Both my boys learned to drive in this car
Had to change driver window regulator
And fan motor rheostat.
Other than that....awesome car.....
Saphteemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #18
TorGa3iGhT
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

wow, ur problem sounds a lot like the problem I have with my civic...it would idle all over the place and at signal lights or stop signs it will sometimes just die out. tried replacing the IACV with an extra one my friend let me borrow, and yeah, didn't help. Ended up taking it to a shop and I had low compression in 3 cylinders...hopefully your problem is not like mine though. Hope the IACV replacement or cleaning does the trick for u!
TorGa3iGhT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
johnnylaw5799
2006 4WD EX MT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Hello all,

I am also having an intermitten trouble with stalling on cold starts.

Here is a list of what was done so far.

New timing chain, one coil pack, iacv(from ebay), new plugs, cleaned throttle body and fuel injection system, valve adjustment (3 needed adjustment).

Still getting intermitten P0172 code and still cold stalling during high rpms.

I am at a complete loss, can anyone help?

Should i replace the IACV again but use a honda part?

Last edited by johnnylaw5799; 01-03-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: providing more info
johnnylaw5799 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
Jack M.
2003 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Hey "johnny",

I did a little research on this and found someone with the same OBDII code as you and the stalling issues. This was a CR-V but thee freeze frame he did on his code scanner/reader indicated that essentially the engine is not seeing enough oxygen in the air/fuel mixture and therefore greatly reducing the amount of gas being used to even it out. The air filter is likely clogged/dirty meaning the amount of air coming in isn't as much as there should be which is giving the ECU a false reading of rich fuel/air mixture. Try replacing/checking the air filter. Here is the Link:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2175435AA4AQmt

Hope this helps and apologies if you've already fixed this issue.

-Jack
Jack M. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Honda Element > Problems & Issues

Tags
air , control , iacv , idle , p0507 , p2279 , valve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.