DIY: Converting side markers to turn signals (w/pics)! - Page 14 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #131
Generation "X" Dad
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 2WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via MSN to Generation "X" Dad
Since doing this modification, I have seen several vehicles make last-minute abrupt stops while trying to turn into a roadway which I am signaling to exit. While I can only speculate, I attribute this to the fact that my sidemarkers now blink to indicate to the side of my Element where I plan on going.

The front signal lights are abysmal for visibility to the side and I think this modification should have been done at the factory for safety reasons.

"THE STEALTH TOASTER": 2004 NBP EX 2WD, OEM EX wheels painted matte black, 215/70/R16 General Grabber AT-2 tires, trailer hitch w/ harness, SWAGMAN dual-bike rack, all-weather mats, rear cargo tray, interior privacy curtain, splash guards, fog lights, NBP tailgate spoiler, black SC "ELEMENT" badge, VVME 4300K Digital Slim Ballast Bi-Xenon HID headlight kit, PIAA Plasma Yellow foglight bulbs, painted black housing headlights, Rear glass decals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Generation "X" Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #132
Qbomb
Premium Member
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

So here is one picture of how I wired the side markers. I just used a simple marette and spliced it that way. Throw on some electrical tape and BAM!

Also I made a movie on how it blinks with the lights on/off
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #133
Dolfin
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD EX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Okay, I've completed 1/2 of this mod and have a concern.

Lights on:
Sidemarker is on solid. (normal)
Lights on w/blinker on:
Sidemarker flashes opposite of turn signals (normal)
Hazard lights on:
Sidemarker flashes opposite of turn signal lights (normal)

Lights off:
Sidemarker is off: (normal)
Lights off w/blinker on:
Sidemarker is off: (PROBLEM)
Hazard lights on:
Sidemarker is off: (PROBLEM)

What have I done wrong?

Disclosures:
  • I have only done the drivers side at this point (do I need to do both sides before this will work?).
  • I swapped the filament bulb in the drivers sidemarker to a philips LED bulb.
  • When I lock/unlock the car the sidemarker flashes at the same time as the turn signal lights.

PLEASE HELP..

One more update. This morning I flipped the polarity on the LED bulb and the behavior inverted. With the lights off it would flash with the blinkers, lights on meant no running lights OR blinkers. I'll try going back to a standard bulb tonight just to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Dolfin; 07-17-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #134
Dolfin
2007 4WD EX MT

Shame this thread finally died after 44 pages, but I figured out my issue.

Note to future implementers of this mod: Do NOT use LED bulbs on the sidemarkers. Once I reverted back to the OEM bulbs, the problem behavior went away. Now the sides blink in tandem with the directionals with the lights off, and they flash opposite when the lights are on.
Dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #135
Jdm5
2010 4WD EX 5AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

I'm new to the E community - pickup up my 2010 EX a few weeks ago. Read this thread excited to work on my car...only to discover it looks like it already flashes the side markers when the turn signal is on.

Is that expected?

Thanks!
Jdm5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #136
AndyelemenT
2006 4WD EX-P MT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Just did this today- very easy, but I'm astounded no one has said to pop the clips out from the inside!!

After 30 minutes of prying with a credit card/screwdriver method to get the side markers out I just opened the hood and put my hand to the back of the side markers and squeezed the clips together- both came out in seconds... No more nightmare!
AndyelemenT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #137
SJordan72
2006 4WD EX AT
Other

Did mine today. I don't really like the quick splice connectors so I used butt connectors at the front signal. Cut the green wire, added connector to the flasher side, then twisted the bridge wire onto the other half of the green wire and crimped that side on. Should be more durable.

Works great! Nice mod. I'm really surprised Honda didn't do this as factory. Generally speaking I always thought DOT wanted the front turn signals visible from the side of the car as well.
SJordan72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #138
wli98122
2006 4WD LX MT

DIY: Converting side markers to turn signals

Last year I did mine. Chose to cut and then splice the wires, soldering them and then covering all with thick heat shrink tubing. Much neater, and less bulky. Been thinking that I may actually add larger amber lenses that stick out a bit... for much better visbility for inattentive drivers.

W. Li
Old 09-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #139
Kaoss
2004 2WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Word of note:

For those planning on putting LEDs into the side markers, it might be the LEDs I purchased, but if your lights are not on, i.e. no parking lights, low beams high beams vice versa, the signals will not blink even if you're signalling.

However, if your lights are on, i.e. parking lights low beams high beams, then the markers will blink as usual.

Has anyone else had this issue? It could just be the LEDs I purchased, the eBay 5-LED SMD bulbs.

Also, the standard cheap cool blue LEDs will not work in the side markers, even with the OEM orange lens. The end colour looks more like a sickly green hue than orange. I will be going back to my standard halogen bulbs for the time being until I can find an alternative (as my standard bulbs have gotten so old the bulb glass is smoky for some reason)
INGALLS
NISSAN
SKUNK2
GIBSON
K-TUNED
PROTHANE
PIONEER
Kaoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #140
chuckc1971
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Mine work just fine. Side firing orange LED from VLEDs.
OEM fogs/splash guards/sidesteps/storage arm rest, Weather Tech visors, AVS Bugflector II, Brockoli bar/Hella Dynaview lights, U-haul hitch, hitch safe, Injen/Flowmaster SS exhaust, Injen CAI, EBC rotors/Hawk pads, 235x70 Michelin A/T2s, front window tint, Shen's turn signal mod, 1-click>all unlock, cleared lights/markers, Osram H4 65/70w headlights, both domes together, full Elemmat kit, Panavise GPS mount, Ultimate Cupholder, ST sway bars/Hotchkis links, mucho LEDS + Plasti-dip.
chuckc1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Do-It-Yourself / Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.