Trouble starting Element- battery or something else? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
sunnyvols
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD LX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Trouble starting Element- battery or something else?

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a 2005 Element which I purchased used in spring 2011 (with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty). I know with the warranty I will be able to have it looked at, for a $200 "copay", but thought I would check here first.

I love, love this car. It has about 132,000 miles on it and has until very recently given me no problems at all. About a month ago the maintenance required light came on and has stayed on. The car also has been having trouble starting, with starting being more difficult if the car has not been sitting very long (after running into the store for 5 minutes, etc) Starting after it has been sitting all night still is sluggish, but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries if the car has been turned off for a short while. My husband thought it was just the battery, so we had it checked at Auto Zone, and there is plenty of juice left in it. The battery terminals were a little coroded, so he cleaned those, to no avail. In the last week, I have noticed the green key light (near the maintenance required light) comes on and sometimes stays on throughout a car trip. Two days ago the red airbag light also came on and has stayed on ever since. The car runs perfectly otherwise.

We are due for an oil change, and I am planning to have that done two days from now. Does anyone have any ideas on what we can try that won't cost me the $200, or should I just give in and have this checked out? I want to keep my Element running for a looooong time. Thanks!
sunnyvols is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Rob Dobbs
EOC Rank: Carbon
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

not to sound offensive but if your wanting your E to stay around a long time, yet warning lights and such have gone unchecked for about a month, thats a contradiction. Make sure to fill out your location so people here may be able to help more in depth with mechanics or local info.

You should be able to check the codes for free at auto zone. Im sure there may be a way to check them from the dash with a series of ignition key turns but ive personally never had to do that on my 07.

In comparison the green light will stay on in my 07 when the oil is due to be changed BUT the dash configuration and options on it changed in 07 so they are NOT the same as the prior years. There is a series of "warnings" and a dash light flash that starts prior to the green light with the wrench being on. Thats telling me im over due for an oil change, it went off last night as a matter of fact but I already knew it was due.

Get the code reader and see what it says.

As per the battery, its a cute little tiny thing. Look into upgrading it to a higher output battery. Is yours the original battery? If so, its past due time to go.
Rob Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
sunnyvols
2005 4WD LX MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I have been waiting for my hubby to take care of it, which explains the month. I realize now I am just going to have to take it from here. Auto Zone already scanned it for the code and came up empty.
sunnyvols is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Rob Dobbs
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Take it in for an oil change and make sure to request they reset the oil change reminder. That may be it.

Again with the battery is it the original factory teeny tiny battery? If so there should be a date code on it. Look into replacing it with a higher cranking larger capacity aftermarket battery.
Rob Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Rick92040
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

I agree if the battery is over 3 years old replace it. and a larger battery fits. http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ead.php?t=6573
If it still wont turn over the starter may be going bad. (hooray warranty) If it turns over fine but just doesn't start or if it stalls have the valves adjusted. they should have been done around 110k miles. when the maintenance minder light comes on have the oil changed and whatever else it needs (owners manual) and reset the light. (also in the owners manual) No need to keep track of when you last changed the oil cuz it does it for you.
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
ajchien
EOC Rank: Helium

My 2 cents. Is that worth anything on the internet?

The maintenance required light is a simple mileage counter. Push the reset button on the instrument cluster and hold it down while you turn on the ignition, and keep it pressed until the light goes out. It should come on as a flashing light in 7-8k miles. It should then become a solid light at 10k miles.

The starting issue and green key light is a bit more difficult and not enough information has been gathered. Battery, starter motor, and valve adjustments are certainly potential starting issues. The green key light suggests that something may be going wrong with the key immobilizer system, which ay also cause starting issues. As far as I'm concerned, a battery check at autozone may not be good enough if all they did was put a multimeter to it. It needs a load test. If the problem is not a weak or bad battery, then you. A code reader is also a good idea. May consider using the warranty after sorting put the battery and pulling codes because problems other than the battery are likely to cost you over $200.

Last edited by ajchien; 01-07-2013 at 12:03 AM.
ajchien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Hajidub
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2005 4WD EXS
Rallye Red (RR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchien View Post
My 2 cents. Is that worth anything on the internet?

The maintenance required light is a simple mileage counter. Push the reset button on the instrument cluster and hold it down while you turn on the ignition, and keep it pressed until the light goes out. It should come on as a flashing light in 7-8k miles. It should then become a solid light at 10k miles.

The starting issue and green key light is a bit more difficult and not enough information has been gathered. Battery, starter motor, and valve adjustments are certainly potential starting issues. The green key light suggests that something may be going wrong with the key immobilizer system, which ay also cause starting issues. As far as I'm concerned, a battery check at autozone may not be good enough if all they did was put a multimeter to it. It needs a load test. If the problem is not a weak or bad battery, then you. A code reader is also a good idea. May consider using the warranty after sorting put the battery and pulling codes because problems other than the battery are likely to cost you over $200.
Perform a search, I know I've seen other's on here with GREEN key issues. Battery, plugs, and full tune-up are all due at 110K, you have 132K; might be time for routine maintenance. Also wouldn't hurt to have the differential fluid changed.

My Autozone does a load test, I think most do, with car on to check charging system load and off to test battery load.
Hajidub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
IRV
EOC Rank: Iron
2004 4WD EX AT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

Hello, you sound like a nice person!

Search starter motor.

The “SEARCH” function here is fun to use. TRY IT.:)
“LOCATION” provides valuable context to your posts.

Proud member of 2006 misfits!
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php This is Fun!

Right about 185,000 miles 7/23/12. Still going strong!
IRV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
dvela85
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

if you have the green key light on its an immobilizer problem. did you try using another programmed key?
dvela85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
becker57
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 4WD EX AT
Shoreline Mist Metallic (SMM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvols View Post
Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a 2005 Element which I purchased used in spring 2011 (with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty). I know with the warranty I will be able to have it looked at, for a $200 "copay", but thought I would check here first.

I love, love this car. It has about 132,000 miles on it and has until very recently given me no problems at all. About a month ago the maintenance required light came on and has stayed on. The car also has been having trouble starting, with starting being more difficult if the car has not been sitting very long (after running into the store for 5 minutes, etc) Starting after it has been sitting all night still is sluggish, but sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries if the car has been turned off for a short while. My husband thought it was just the battery, so we had it checked at Auto Zone, and there is plenty of juice left in it. The battery terminals were a little coroded, so he cleaned those, to no avail. In the last week, I have noticed the green key light (near the maintenance required light) comes on and sometimes stays on throughout a car trip. Two days ago the red airbag light also came on and has stayed on ever since. The car runs perfectly otherwise.

We are due for an oil change, and I am planning to have that done two days from now. Does anyone have any ideas on what we can try that won't cost me the $200, or should I just give in and have this checked out? I want to keep my Element running for a looooong time. Thanks!
Only because I just had my airbag light diagnosed and fixed, many times it is lifetime warranty through Honda and there isn't a deductible for that. A bag seat belt threw the code in my 2004 element it went bad at 130000 miles.
becker57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.