My front seat replacement Project - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Audiophyle
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX MT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

My front seat replacement Project

So Ive started working on a front seat swap in my 04 E, and while this wont have detailed pictures or function as a DIY, it should help anyone understand the amount of work involved and if its something they want to do.
Unlike the other Honda OEM seat swaps, I will not be reusing the Element seat rails, this will be more like an aftermarket seat install and I will be fabricating my own seat bracket to bolt these new seat rails too.

I am using OEM leather seats from a Hyundai Tiburon, which I was able to snag very cheap and are OEM grade which means they pass all crash rating standards. (not the case with many aftermarket seats)

This is just sitting in place, which puts your rear end a couple inches lower than stock.

I will most likely be lifting them up slightly with the custom brackets to set the seating platform at the same height as OEM, but I will give them more rear ward movement & tilt the fronts up just a hair higher.
I think I will get a little more clearance underneath for amps as well, which will be needed at a later date. lol
These seats are sooo much more comfortable than the E seats, I cannot wait to get them installed.

A question I came across yesterday though, is WTF is this thing attached to the seat belt reciever?

My E does not have side airbags, so the seat belt should only have a SRS sensor. However this thin canister thing clearly states it contains an explosive material.

This is the assembly removed from the OEM seat

And this uses the same 14mm bolt as the Hyundai seats, so I will easily be able to mount these latches to the new seats. I will be fabbing up a front C bracket to hold the canister, and drill a small hole near the bolt hole to match the Honda latch alignment tab. Then its just a matter of trimming the plastic around it & either leave it uncovered (will be hidden by a center console I plan to build) or make my own cover piece to hide it.

So does anyone know WHY this thing contains an explosive compound?
Does my E have the rare unpublished 007 ejection seat option? lol

Last edited by Audiophyle; 01-14-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Audiophyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
ramblerdan
On hiatus
2004 4WD EXS MT
Fiji Blue Pearl (FBP)

That is the automatic belt tensioner, activated in the event of a crash.
ramblerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
GR8Bike
Premium Member
2004 2WD DX 6MT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblerdan View Post
That is the automatic belt tensioner, activated in the event of a crash.
Damm. Was liking the idea of seat ejector system. Be tough though w/o an overhead sun roof. Oh well, guess the belt tnsioner makes sense. Like the seats. Pics, when installed, please.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Island E
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Doers that thing pull the entire latch part down when you get into a crash? Is that how it works?
Island E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
lizzurd
I'LL Be Back......Maybe..
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

In the event of a sever enough accident an explosive charge goes off in the cylinder causing the buckle to retract 2-3 inches to take up the slack in the seat belt. The mechanism in the should belt also locks up.
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
misdirection11082
EOC Rank: Carbon
2009 SC 2WD 5AT
Midnight Red Pearl (MRP)

i love how much info we can all gain from this site.

my new love 2009 SC Red Sonia
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...145&highlight=
misdirection11082 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Audiophyle
2004 4WD EX MT

Thats crazy, never would have thought such a thing. Sounds almost dangerous, but Im sure its had some serious R&D done around it.
Was really pulling for it being an ejection seat though.

I hope to get started on the brackets this weekend.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
Island E
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophyle View Post
Thats crazy, never would have thought such a thing. Sounds almost dangerous, but Im sure its had some serious R&D done around it.

BTW, your speaker box is working splendidly. Finally got around to installing it about 2 weeks ago. You should have warned me about the b!tch bolt that's underneath that one metal piece. I saw that and was like "Oh hell no he didn't?!?!?"
Island E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
lizzurd
I'LL Be Back......Maybe..
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophyle View Post

They can be dangerous. While not a bad as an airbag they still need to be handled with care. every couple of months we have to set off airbags and buckles before we can dispose of them and the buckles make a hell of a noise when they go off.
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #10
Audiophyle
2004 4WD EX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island E View Post
BTW, your speaker box is working splendidly. Finally got around to installing it about 2 weeks ago. You should have warned me about the b!tch bolt that's underneath that one metal piece. I saw that and was like "Oh hell no he didn't?!?!?"
I know exactly which one you are talking about, but it didnt seem that difficult to get to so I figured you could get it. Glad to hear you finally got it up & running, and hope you enjoy it for long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
They can be dangerous. While not a bad as an airbag they still need to be handled with care. every couple of months we have to set off airbags and buckles before we can dispose of them and the buckles make a hell of a noise when they go off.
Are retractable buckles that popular? All Ive ever set off were steering wheel airbags, but this is the first time ever seeing these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.