Wiring issue - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
GRNDHOG
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Wiring issue

I've towed only once with this car a few years ago. It had a factory hitch installed when I purchased the car (used)

When I towed before, the lights worked fine. It was a Home Depot trailer and they verified before I could leave.

I bought a boat yesterday, and it uses the same flat 4 plug. I have running lights, but no blinkers or brake lights.

I plugged in a tester and it confirms the lack of blinkers. Not sure if it does brakes or not.

So, before I rip apart the lights on the trailer, I want to fix the wiring on the car and make sure the tester shows everything is good.

Any tips/ suggestions on where to start?
GRNDHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Alaskan_Toaster
Premium Member
2007 4WD EX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Steel wool and die-electric grease. I've had this issue several times, and (even tho there is a recall for my '07 for the wiring), several times it boiled down to a a bad connection. Clean ALL your contacts (on BOTH sides), apply the grease (lightly), then try the connection again. Hopefully, this will solve your issue.....

Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be, so enjoy this day while it lasts.
Alaskan_Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
GRNDHOG
2004 2WD EX AT

Thanks, got any tips for getting the steel wool inside of the tiny hole?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Alaskan_Toaster
Premium Member
2007 4WD EX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Tiny, flat-head (or jeweler's) screwdriver should do the trick. Just make sure you get all the residue out before plugging it in....

Today is the oldest you've ever been, yet the youngest you'll ever be, so enjoy this day while it lasts.
Alaskan_Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
psschmied
EOC Rank: Neon
2004 4WD EXS AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

CRC QD Contact Cleaner (03130) is faster and easier. Afterward, apply dielectric grease and when the connector isn't in use, put a connector cover on it:
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48735-4Wire-Replacement-Covers/dp/B0000AXU02/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1DA99K9TALVQ3&coliid=IDDK04V53A635 http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48735-4Wire-Replacement-Covers/dp/B0000AXU02/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1DA99K9TALVQ3&coliid=IDDK04V53A635
psschmied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
slowpoke
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2008 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

There's a re-call for the Honda trailer wiring harness. Looks like you have that gremlin.
slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
KoolBlue
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
There's a re-call for the Honda trailer wiring harness. Looks like you have that gremlin.
The recall doesn't apply to this year.
KoolBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
GRNDHOG
2004 2WD EX AT

Any thoughts about just buying a new plug and swapping it?

I haven't had he chance to get any dielectric grease yet. But I was thinking a new plug should only be a few bucks, no?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
GRNDHOG
2004 2WD EX AT

Okay, I "scrubbed" the contacts and added some dielectric grease. Still no luck. Only tail lights.

Think I should try the new plug route? I'd hate to cut the wires unnecessarily...plus have another point that can fail.

Edit, I tried the trailer lights with a friends truck and they all work appropriately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.