Need help with OEM Honda Trailer Wire Harness - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
tiki_ink
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX-P AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Need help with OEM Honda Trailer Wire Harness

#1 Has anyone here installed the OEM Honda Trailer Wire Harness? #2 If so, have anyone had trouble with no brake or turn signal lights after the installation? I have checked and rechecked all connections, schematics, and even tested the circuits. It seems I have tracked the problem the the trailer unit which converts the vehicles turn signals and brake wiring into the 4 pin standard. When I circuit tested the wires going into the unit they were good but I get no signal for the green and yellow wires coming out of the trailer unit. I do have running lights (brown wire) but they bypass the trailer unit as a whole with an inline fuse connected to it. I had Honda send me a replacement trailer unit and it had the same problem. I feel like I am taking crazy pills. Has anyone else had this problem? I bought Honda because it should be plug and play. Apparently this is not the case. Any help would be great. Thanks.

By the way, I have a 2005.

Last edited by tiki_ink; 12-10-2010 at 11:58 PM.
tiki_ink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
John Gaquin
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD EX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Send a message via AIM to John Gaquin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki_ink View Post
... have anyone had trouble with no brake or turn signal lights after the installation? .... I do have running lights (brown wire)... .
tiki..... I had a dealer install my harness last summer, and had the same problem. check your underhood fuse box. there are two fuses there, #2 and #7, that become part of the trailer lighting system after the harness is installed. that's where my problem was. I had blown the fuse with a faulty 4/7 adapter. no problems since.

btw, while you're working on it, I suggest you get a mountable fuse holder, drill a small hole, and mount that in-line fuse into the rear right-side trim panel. that way, if it does ever blow you won't have to disassemble the car to check or replace it.

good luck!
Me: '04 Element _ _ _Diane: '07 Accord _ _ _Daughter: '04 Accord _ _ _Son: [traded his '07 CRV - bought a new F-150]

Mods: EOC/Chapter Decal; Blind spot mirrors; Blank's Table/Rear Shelf; Amber fake fogs; UHaul Class III hitch with OEM trailer harness and Prodigy brake controller; [Coming Soon: grill guard, paint changes, marker light signals, LED mirror signals, diy roof rack]
John Gaquin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
chuckc1971
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Similar problem

I have a 2008 and have just installed the OEM factory harness. I have running lights. I have brake lights. I am not getting any turn signals...

I've checked all the connections and fuses both on the new harness and the under hood #2, #7). All are fine. I do have a LED flasher, but don't know if that would make any difference or not.

Anyone have any ideas?
OEM fogs/splash guards/sidesteps/storage arm rest, Weather Tech visors, AVS Bugflector II, Brockoli bar/Hella Dynaview lights, U-haul hitch, hitch safe, Injen/Flowmaster SS exhaust, Injen CAI, EBC rotors/Hawk pads, 235x70 Michelin A/T2s, front window tint, Shen's turn signal mod, 1-click>all unlock, cleared lights/markers, Osram H4 65/70w headlights, both domes together, full Elemmat kit, Panavise GPS mount, Ultimate Cupholder, ST sway bars/Hotchkis links, mucho LEDS + Plasti-dip.
chuckc1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
GRNDHOG
EOC Rank: Helium
2004 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Did you ever get this resolved?

I'm having the same issue. Marker lights work. No brake or turn signals. Checked underhood fuses. All are good.
GRNDHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
bmwrider
2008 2WD EX MT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

There's a recall about the OEM harness. Have the dealer check it out

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=74829
'11 SAAB 9-5 Aero - SAAB's finale'
bmwrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
GRNDHOG
2004 2WD EX AT
Sunset Orange Pearl (SOP)

Not good for my year. I have an 04
GRNDHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
KoolBlue
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
There's a recall about the OEM harness. Have the dealer check it out

http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ad.php?t=74829

The recall in that thread only applies to 2007-2011 models.

Honda made three different harness kits over the years. What applies to one doesn't always apply to the other.

2003-2004
2005-2006
2007-2011
KoolBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.