CRV vs Element mileage - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
bufguy
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2011 4WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

Send a message via Yahoo to bufguy
CRV vs Element mileage

Why is there such a huge discrepency in the mileage ratings between the CRV and Element. I know although the engines are the same they are tuned differently. That being said why didn't Honda tune them the same? I know that the Element is less aerodynamic, but would that effect the city mileage?
Has anyone driven both vehicles? Your views?
bufguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Rick92040
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

There are a few people that are upset with the CR-V real world mileage over at the CR-V forum. Like the Element most are happy getting 22-23 mpg.
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...ed-discussion/
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
lizzurd
I'LL Be Back......Maybe..
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

I drove a 2011 CRV for one year. Even with the 5 spd auto vs my E's 4 spd the CRV didn't do that much better mileage wise.
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
Basset Box
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2007 SC 2WD 5AT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Are you comparing FWD to FWD and AWD to AWD? Since you didn't give any numbers I have no idea what you mean by huge discrepancy. Are we talking the CRVs 25 to my 23, or are we talking 28 or 30?

How to the weights compare? There are a ton of variables to factor in, only one of those is aerodynamics. Obviously that isn't going to be the Es strong point!

To Do List: HID retrofit.
Basset Box is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
2010E
EOC Rank: Helium
2010 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

We own a '10 element and an '08 crv. Both get about the same around town ~22 to 23 mpg. The difference is in the freeway mileage; 27 to 29 for the element and 33 to 35 for the crv.
2010E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
bufguy
2011 4WD EX AT
Citrus Fire Metallic (CFM)

Send a message via Yahoo to bufguy
6 mpg is a huge difference...the weights are not that different and the engine is the same size..
I'm wondering why there is such a big difference
bufguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
thefretman
2008 4WD EX-P AT
Tangerine Metallic (TM)

Weigh differential between the AWD CRV and the AWD E are in the 800 lb. range.
Final drives are similar as far as I recall. Only thing that would be different between the vehicles would be wind resistance at 60 mph. Our E's are quite boxy and flatfaced as you know. Kinda like a cute bulldog.......... :)
thefretman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
KoolBlue
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefretman View Post
Weigh differential between the AWD CRV and the AWD E are in the 800 lb. range.
Final drives are similar as far as I recall. Only thing that would be different between the vehicles would be wind resistance at 60 mph. Our E's are quite boxy and flatfaced as you know. Kinda like a cute bulldog.......... :)

There is only a 87 lb difference in curb weight between the 4wd Element and the 4wd CRV.

Element 3641
CRV 3554
KoolBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
2010E
2010 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Our CRV and Element are both 4wd. The difference in mpg is all in the aerodynamics at highway speed.

I believe that with the impending 2016 U.S. fleet average fuel mileage requirements, this was one of the reasons that Honda decided to pull the plug early on the Element. Low volume sales and lower mpg for a box doesn't help Honda's goals. Designs for the 2016 model year start in 2011 on the drawing board.
2010E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
vtzdriver
2006 4WD EX
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

I'm sure the CR-V ratings are based on having the "Econ" button pushed.

I can let you know after Thursday.
vtzdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.