I get 14mpg. What's going on? - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
CrackRock
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2005 4WD EX AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

I get 14mpg. What's going on?

The gas mileage is ridiculous on this! I've tried the kn air filter, high octane gas, low octane gas, fuel injectors cleaned out, tire pressure, new tires, never going over 3k rpm....

Honda please take note: I am actively trying to get rid of this P.O.S. because 14 miles per gallon is a BIG F****** JOKE! I could get that mpg plus more cargo room and towing capacity from a V6 or even V8. So, a turbo diesel or even better a hybrid is the only way I would ever consider buying or recommending one of these Elements ever again.

Last edited by lizzurd; 11-19-2010 at 12:41 PM.
CrackRock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
desinia
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackRock View Post
The gas mileage is ridiculous on this! I've tried the kn air filter, high octane gas, low octane gas, fuel injectors cleaned out, tire pressure, new tires, never going over 3k rpm....
Honda please take note: I am actively trying to get rid of this P.O.S. because 14 miles per gallon is a BIG F****** JOKE!
If you're only getting 14mpg's out of an element, then you NEED to find yourself an honest mechanic and start looking around to see what's broken. Either the engine isn't producing power as efficiently as it should, the transmission is slipping and losing part of it, or the drive train is dragging something.

It's not the "next big thing" from Honda - It was the last.
desinia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
MikeQBF
Moderatorium
2008 4WD EX-P 6MT
Galaxy Gray Metallic (GG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by desinia View Post
If you're only getting 14mpg's out of an element, then you NEED to find yourself an honest mechanic and start looking around to see what's broken. Either the engine isn't producing power as efficiently as it should, the transmission is slipping and losing part of it, or the drive train is dragging something.
Or somebody or something banged the catalytic converter real hard and collapsed the matrix.

Did you buy this vehicle new? I'll hazard a guess from your comments that you did not, and you bought somebody else's damaged goods.

Edit: You've entered your location as "mountains", and your IP traces you to Riverside, CA, which is not mountains, but they're close-by. If you're actually looking for help rather than being here to vent your spleen, we're going to need a little more info.
MikeQBF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
MikeQBF
Moderatorium
2008 4WD EX-P 6MT

This discussion splinter being moved to the appropriate area.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
ElementFanatic
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 4WD LX AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackRock View Post
Yep, my Suzuki Grand Vitara true 4x4 is getting 17.5 and my 4wd Element is getting 14.5. Measured both with a KIWI-MPG obd2 tool, so it's not just math. The Element really sucks to me. Gotta get this off my chest...

LOW CLEARANCE - I already came within a 1/2" of basically ruining my car, the driveshaft guard got all bent up, luckily barely missing the actual driveshaft, this was driving to the grocery store in about 8 inches of snow/ice

NOT TRUE 4x4 - combined with the lack of clearance the 'real time 4wd' is a joke compared to true 4H/4L, the Element has to stay up on the road, whereas the Grand Vitara makes it the whole scary way down to the beach, tears through the sand and water, then back up again

Sh*tty 4wd, low clearance, and awful mpg! The only two pros are...the roominess obviously (I'm 6'7"), and the E has the nicest factory stereo I've ever owned. They don't make up for the bad mpg. I hate this car and can't wait to get rid of it, but I feel bad trying to sell it because I'll just be passing the misery along to some other poor schmuck.

That is his post from another thread. Seems like something might have ended up smashing his cat at some point, maybe snow/ice?

Gotta be something more to the story here that isn't getting told.
Accessories:Front Splash Guards (OEM), Side Steps (OEM), Cargo Tray (OEM), Honda Cabana w/poles (Black), Window Curtains (OEM), Honda Table Leg Kit, Window Visors (Weathertech), Elemmat (Full Rear), Pioneer Avic-X910BT (Hacked and Modded)
Mods:DIY: Side turn signal,DIY passenger armrest install,SC console
ElementFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Twilightzero
EOC Rank: Sulfur
2007 4WD LX MT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Maybe a dumb question, but does OBDI-2 on the Element report exhaust back-pressure information?

"Always use protection, be it latex or legal"
-Twilightzero

Join Cap'n Twirate's EOC Bucanneers!

Mods: ASA JS6 rims, Nokian WR-SUV tires, DIY roof rack, DIY Dog Platform, Curt Class III trailer hitch, Char Griller Super Pro Trailer Hitch Grill, Infinity 6022si Speakers, Shen's Side Marker Turn Signals, Leather shift boot, K&N filter, RoadRunner 34/78 Monster Battery, Home Depot Grill
Twilightzero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
MikeQBF
Moderatorium
2008 4WD EX-P 6MT

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the only flow rate or relative pressure sensors are on the intake side. The exhaust just has sniffers to determine gas chemistry only.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

14 mpg? Wow, I'd be a little chapped too. Grandma and I went to Texas earlier this month and I wrote the mpg of each fill-up on a card I kept in my wallet. The best tank was 28.13 mpg and the worst was 23.65. I'm happy with that.
GaryS is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
paulj
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2003 4WD DX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

Also, what kind of driving? 14mpg while cruising freeways is one thing, in heavy stop and go traffic it isn't so bad. My worst tank was while when I spent 4 days exploring backroads in British Columbia. I spent much of that tank in 1st and 2nd.

Cargo/camping platform, Yakima roof rack, Basketcase, Sidekick, Aiwa HU, Pioneer speakers, Cooper H/T 225/70/16
Picasa photos
Tire Size Calculator
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
davidduarte
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 4WD LX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

what tires are you running? when the crappy OEM tires wore out, I replaced them at 45,000 miles. These days I'm lucky to get 21 mpg, normally get between 17 and 21. Next time I replace the tires, I'm thinking of getting low rolling resistance tires.
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Fuel Economy and Gas Related Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.