Is VALVE adjustment really needed? or is it hype - Page 4 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #31
CitizenShay
EOC Rank: Helium
2005 4WD DX AT
Magnesium Metallic (MM)

Send a message via AIM to CitizenShay
Works for me

I just had my E's valves adjusted and the cold engine stall issues have gone away so far, but its only been a few days. Also the E just runs and idles smoother. For reference, my E has 110,000 miles. The mechanic said that several of the valves needed adjusting. Cost was $195.

Thanks to everyone for posting this thread. After spending about $1800 trying to figure out the stalling issue over the past 2 years, I'm glad to see something actually seems to work.
2005 MM EX AT - Keyless Entry w/Remote start, EOC sticker & front plate frame, AVS Bugflector II, OEM mud flaps, OEM Chrome exhaust tip, Highland Turbo Trunk Organizer, South Coast Accessories Deluxe Carpet, Grille Guy lower grill

- CitizenShay
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/citizenshay
CitizenShay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #32
Kaoss
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2004 2WD EX AT
Galapagos Green Metallic (GGM)

Still debating whether or not I should get my valves adjusted. 225,000kms never had any adjustments done on valves, nor are they unbearably noisy (though, they have progressively been getting louder over the years especially during idle).

Is a valve adjustment really a necessary cost? I've been asking around a couple of local Honda and Acura dealerships and I've been quoted anywhere from $200 to $450 :/ I mean, I'd much rather spend that money on getting my bushings replaced or shocks replaced.
Galapagos Green 2004 2WD EX ~ VVME 6000K HIDs - Nokya 2500k Hyper Yellow fogs with Lamin-X yellow overlay - Goodyear Assurance ComforTred 235/65/16 - LED license plate bulbs - LED dome and map lights - Polarg B1 Hybrid Red 7443 rear turn signal bulbs - Pioneer TS-A1675R/TS-A1605C - DIY SRI -- Ingalls Stiffy engine torque damper - OEM red JDM front and rear Honda badges - Shen's Turn Signal Mod - RBB intake manifold - R32 GT-R wheels - ST lowering springs - '07 grille/headlights
Kaoss is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #33
Rick92040
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 2WD EX AT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoss View Post
Still debating whether or not I should get my valves adjusted. 225,000kms never had any adjustments done on valves, nor are they unbearably noisy (though, they have progressively been getting louder over the years especially during idle).

Is a valve adjustment really a necessary cost? I've been asking around a couple of local Honda and Acura dealerships and I've been quoted anywhere from $200 to $450 :/ I mean, I'd much rather spend that money on getting my bushings replaced or shocks replaced.
Yes it is. The exhaust valves wont get loose and noisy. They get tight and cause driveability problems. And some have reported worn cam lobes.
It should only run around $200. and if someone wants to charge more there trying to take advantage so don't ever give them your business. It isn't hard to do. http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...ead.php?t=8768
Rick92040 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #34
TedN
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2007 SC 2WD 5MT
Root Beer Metallic (RBM)

I was in to the dealer this week to have several things attended to, including valve adjustment. 2007 SC with 165,000 kms. Was charged $160 for the adjustment. Trying to determine where that amount came from. I was in the shop for 90 minutes in total. The shop rate is $95/hour. That means they charged me for 2 3/4 hours for the valve adjustment. Am I missing something here?

Ted
TedN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #35
misdirection11082
EOC Rank: Carbon
2009 SC 2WD 5AT
Midnight Red Pearl (MRP)

They charge based on what the service time book tells them to charge. I just took mine in to do the tie rod ends and got charged $97 per side which is 1.75hrs labor per side and it only took them 10 minutes to do each one.

my new love 2009 SC Red Sonia
http://www.elementownersclub.com/for...145&highlight=
misdirection11082 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #36
lizzurd
I'LL Be Back......Maybe..
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedN View Post
I was in to the dealer this week to have several things attended to, including valve adjustment. 2007 SC with 165,000 kms. Was charged $160 for the adjustment. Trying to determine where that amount came from. I was in the shop for 90 minutes in total. The shop rate is $95/hour. That means they charged me for 2 3/4 hours for the valve adjustment. Am I missing something here?

Ted

If the door rate is $95 and you paid $160 they charged you 1.7 hours labour.

Flat rate times are based off industry guides for how long a job should take. It doesn't matter if it takes ten minutes or 3 hours. If the book calls for the valve ajustment to be 1.7 hours that it is what the tech will expect to be paid.
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #37
TedN
2007 SC 2WD 5MT
Root Beer Metallic (RBM)

My apologies for bad typo. Charge was $260 , not $160.

Ted
Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #38
lizzurd
I'LL Be Back......Maybe..
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Neutron Blue Metallic (NBM)

What else did you have done other than the valve adjustment?
lizzurd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #39
Wrenchmeister
EOC Rank: Oxygen
2006 2WD EX-P AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoss View Post

It does make a difference. Valves get tight. Not loose and noisy. Mpg and power go to hell. You wont notice because degradation is progresive over the years.

If you dont want to pay for it, you can do it yourself. It is way less daunting than it looks. I did mine in about an hour. I can't say it was a challenge.

Sound changed and felt little bit noiser at the beginning. After a day, It felt fine.

I am happy with the smoother engine and regained economy
Wrenchmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #40
TedN
2007 SC 2WD 5MT
Root Beer Metallic (RBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzurd View Post
What else did you have done other than the valve adjustment?
- oil change (labour $18.37)
- replaced air filter, pollen filter, inspect and adjust drive belt (labour $57.07)
- Honda multi-point inspection (no labour)

The maintenance minder was A24. The "4" indicates replace spark plugs and adjust valve clearance. I had the plugs replaced last year so I just authorized the valve adjustment.

Ted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Maintenance and Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.