U-Haul Class III hitch installed - Page 7 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #61
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT
Atomic Blue Metallic (ABM)

Here is a hint for when you install it:

In the center of the bottom of the bumper cover there will be a plastic rivet that attaches the "bumper garnish" to the bumper. Before you mount your hitch take this rivet out as once you put the hitch on you will not be able to get the rivet out to take the bumper cover off. There are other fasteners to either side that will hold the bumper garnish on. Trust me, you will not like removing your hitch to take that bumper cover garnish off.

Good luck.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #62
aday
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2008 SC 2WD 5AT
Nighthawk Black Pearl (NBP)

thx! noted! :)
aday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #63
TorGa3iGhT
EOC Rank: Helium
2008 4WD EX MT
Kiwi Metallic (KM)

my local uhaul was gonna do an install for 35 bucks I think...
TorGa3iGhT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #64
aday
2008 SC 2WD 5AT

got mine installed today. the longest part was cutting the SC bumper ...i made the cut too far to the driver side and had to keep cutting over and over. *facepalm* otherwise everything went off without a "hitch" LOL.

i'm not too thrilled about the etrailer wiring harness hanging over the hatch. i can't find a place to reroute the wires so it'd be out of sight, since i want to put a brake light hitch cover instead of the hitch ball when i'm not towing. i might just end up removing the bumper afterall - was trying really hard to avoid that! (unless someone has a good idea they'd like to share that doesn't require bumper removal. please share!)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #65
GaryS
EOC Rank: Neon
2008 4WD LX MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aday View Post
i'm not too thrilled about the etrailer wiring harness hanging over the hatch. i can't find a place to reroute the wires so it'd be out of sight, since i want to put a brake light hitch cover instead of the hitch ball when i'm not towing. i might just end up removing the bumper afterall - was trying really hard to avoid that! (unless someone has a good idea they'd like to share that doesn't require bumper removal. please share!)
Someone on the forum (I'm unable to find it now) drilled a hole in their spare tire well and ran the cable through it to the hitch. I didn't want to drill a big hole that might let in moisture so I removed the rear bumper and ran mine according to the instructions for the Honda wiring kit. It's not too bad of a job and looks a lot neater.
GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #66
aday
2008 SC 2WD 5AT

well...now i have to deal with those 2 pesky tabs that might be out of reach if i have to take the bumper off. lol.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #67
alaimie
EOC Rank: Helium
2008 2WD EX AT

Getting my class III from uhaul and will cost me $65 for the to install in the SF Bayarea. That's without wiring. They want another $100 just to wire.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #68
DirtyZ123
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Other

Quote:
got mine installed today. the longest part was cutting the SC bumper ...i made the cut too far to the driver side and had to keep cutting over and over. *facepalm* otherwise everything went off without a "hitch" LOL.

Taking the rear bumper cover off would probably take less time than it took you to write those couple paragraphs. It is only about 2 bolts, 2 screws, and 4-6 push clips.
DirtyZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #69
aday
2008 SC 2WD 5AT

lol...i'll get to it this wkend with daylight.

the Uhaul hitch doesn't come all the way out on my SC bumper. it's recessed in about 1/4"-3/8" ....and i cut too far to the driver side and not enuf to the passenger side. it won't be noticeable once i use the brake light hitch attachment. the hitch ball is on a 2" rise flipped over (17" to center of the ball from the ground.) does not interfere with the tail gate when lowered. (i noticed some ppl were concern with this.)

here're a couple of pic and the trailer i picked up tonight:
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #70
desinia
EOC Rank: Carbon
2008 4WD EX 5AT
Tango Red Pearl (TRP)

Quote:
well...now i have to deal with those 2 pesky tabs that might be out of reach if i have to take the bumper off. lol.
If it's what I'm imagining, a putty knife and two whacks of a hammer take them right out when you need to.

It's not the "next big thing" from Honda - It was the last.
desinia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Racks, Hitches & Towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.