Honda Element Owners Club banner

Door panel removal DIY. Warning! image heavy

217K views 97 replies 69 participants last post by  sacandagadave 
#1 · (Edited)
Door panel and lock removal DIY. Warning! image heavy

This is done on my '05 with power windows and locks. I'm pretty sure they're all set up this way but the SC might be different.

Remove the 2 screw covers and the speaker grille.

Remove the 6 phillips screws. One under the armrest, two on the door handle and three on the speaker.

cont...

See less See more
#58 ·
Locksmith, this post was spot on for changing my door checkers. If anyone else takes this on, you don't have to take the plastic off of the panel, you can easily shimmy them in and out of the speaker holes. I would post pics, but it really is a minor step. First checker took me over 1 hour, second took about 1/2hr. Don't be afraid of your Element. One day, they will probably be known for their practicality, reliability, and easy repairs. They are the volkswagens of 2003-2011.

#59 ·
I have to change my passenger side regulator. To keep the window up while waiting for parts. First cut the bad motor cables from the track. Then drill a hole in the track under the edge of the window carriage at the top of the track's up limit. Install the track and window. Push the window up then put a bolt or pin in the hole you drilled. No nut needed. The weight of the window will hold it in place. No plastic and tape needed that way.

#60 ·
Yeah, I also broke the screw connectors inside the left side window trim when removing door panel to replace regulator. I'll try the JB Weld idea. Thanks AZelementman.

#61 ·
Thanks, Locksmith!
Could not have done it without you.
I did however find an easier way to get the retailer clip out. I removed the 10mm bolts and pulled the door handle out far enough to be able to PUSH the clip down and off from outside the door.
Great pics and step by step.
PhilO from Moline, IL

#62 ·
I replaced the driver door lock actuator motor on my 04 E this weekend. Had to remove the entire door handle as well as the panel in order to be able to see what was going on down there, but once I did it wasn't too difficult. Took about 2 hours. Paid $35 or so for the part.

#69 ·
Door Lock replacement

My key won't open driver side door, though opens all other locks and starts the car. Key only with no remote as I have in my CRV.
A locksmith told me that Honda's key system wears down with permanent damage and so replacement is only option. He had me go to Honda dealer for one lock, as a total replacement of all locks is ridiculous money. and so I have to unlock my driver side door by unlocking passenger door and reaching over with a stick and tapping unlock button. Nice photos, thanks. I was planning to swap the passenger lock for the driver side one, and replacing the passenger one with a new one I already have but haven't had time to do all that stuff you describe. That way, the same key that opens the driver door will work with ignition.Are they interchangeable?
My other option as I see it is to add a keyfob type remote door unlock if that is possible. Thanks.2004 model.

#70 ·
I don't believe they're interchangeable. If you did have both driver side door locks in your hand you could read me the key codes on them and I could tell you if the new one can be rearranged to fit your existing key.

#77 ·
Great Pics, one issue i am having.. Need help

Great pics and followed the instructions on both posts, they were awesome. When I took out the actuator the blue clip that hooks up to the inside door handle fell off and I put it back, but when I put all back together the inside door handle will not open the door and won't sit flush in the handle. Does anyone have a pic of the blue clip assembly so I know how the clip sits inside the actuator assembly. Thanks for your help in advance.

#78 · (Edited)
So i took on this job over the weekend. Replaced drivers door actuator now i can use my keyless remote without having to manually unlock door.

But i put everything back together and the inside handle does not open the door, so i unscrewed its 2 phillips heads and push the entire assembly forward to open the door, for now. I think the problem came because when i unwedged the actuator off the locking mechanism the box ended up coming apart anyways and i had to clue how it was assembled, so i put it back together hoping it worked. Can someone give their .02 on this, the pics show where i believe the problem is. I installed the inside handle link under the white tab, might be over, i dont know. I'd like to know before i undo everything again.
Auto part Brake

Auto part Carburetor Engine Fuel line

Vehicle door Vehicle Car Door handle Automotive exterior

#81 ·
I've done this twice now (nice walk-through - thx!) but driver's door power lock still not working. First time thought I got a bad actuator, but same result with 2nd new part. Everything else works, and manually locking drivers door locks all others. Any idea what else it could be?

#82 ·
I'm looking at that sound deadening material on the back of the door panel...the white fibrous stuff. It looks like 3M thinsulate acoustic material which is excellent (I've used it before)...or it's just some cotton material. In any case I'm looking to order some of the 3M acoustic when I do my sound-deadening project. Is that stuff behind the door panel substantial?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.