Honda Element Owners Club banner

Honda's Undesirable Element

81K views 144 replies 89 participants last post by  holders3 
#1 ·
Honda's Undesirable Element
The Element SC turns Honda's boxy trucklet into a rolling cartoon character—unfortunately, it's more of an evil twin than a hero

The Good: Tricked-out styling, value for pricing, Honda reliability, still uniquely practical

The Bad: Tricked-out styling, seating for four, passé fabric patterns

The Bottom Line: An "evil twin" with some serious character flaws
Click here to read the entire review from Business Week

#3 ·
But Hey!

At least they have Root Beer!

#5 ·
SC Rebuttal

OK. I have to come to SC's defense. The SC is for people like me, who are wanting the capability of style, sleekness, ability to haul, good gas mileage, and roominess that the Element has to offer, but don't need 4WD or plastic floors. Not all of us plan to dump mud, sand, water, or whatever into the floorboards (nothing wrong with this, by the way), but we need a flexible vehicle. The E fits like a glove for my lifestyle.

The carpet makes the interior quieter and the stereo sound better. The SC rides firmer and drives like a tall sports car. It is all about needs and likes. I likes the carpet, you likes the rubber floor. It's all cool though. The big melting pot of E owners.

#113 ·
OK. I have to come to SC's defense. The SC is for people like me, who are wanting the capability of style, sleekness, ability to haul, good gas mileage, and roominess that the Element has to offer, but don't need 4WD or plastic floors. Not all of us plan to dump mud, sand, water, or whatever into the floorboards (nothing wrong with this, by the way), but we need a flexible vehicle. The E fits like a glove for my lifestyle.

The carpet makes the interior quieter and the stereo sound better. The SC rides firmer and drives like a tall sports car. It is all about needs and likes. I likes the carpet, you likes the rubber floor. It's all cool though. The big melting pot of E owners.
Well said sir! The more the marrier I say! Spread that toastery love on good and thick baby!

#7 ·
Bill in Houston said:
Oh totally. The SC is great for people who want one. The other kinds are great for people who want the other kinds. I'm glad that they make all of the different kinds.

However, color is crucial. SOP E's are much faster AND get better mileage than any other color. :)
BIH,

You are nuts! It took the change to Tangerine Metallic :wink: to get the better mileage.

Regards,

#8 ·
The only thing I don't like about the SC are the badges on the tailgate.

The "Element" and "SC" are flat black and the "H" is silver.
WTF; pick a color. Just make them all flat black IMO.

Other than that I'm good with it.

#9 ·
I would never buy an SC Element but I do like them. I am just more of an
"Old School Element" Owner. I Like panels and plastic floors.

The SC reaches out to a different Market of people.

#11 ·
The guy who wrote that article seems a little anti-element in general. Maybe I was reading something into his tone.

I think the element doesn't just fill a niche in the market, it defined one. I have never owned a more practical vehicle. I would LOVE to see a work version of the Element produced. It would have:
- A stretch of at least 6 inches to accommodate longer items.
- A cage in the back for security (No, I don’t know how this would work with the clam shell doors.)
- A 6 cylinder with displacement on demand for fuel-efficiency
- Ladder racks
- Increased payload and towing ability.

Ok, I know this will never happen and this probably belongs in another topic, but as a business owner who uses the Element as my business vehicle I would love to see these additions. I would never buy a full-size work van due to gas and overall handling.

#12 ·
Bill in Houston said:
However, color is crucial. SOP E's are much faster AND get better mileage than any other color. :)
LMAO!!! You couldn't have said it better!! :p :p

E ON!

Kerri

#15 ·
I had an '04 SOP EX and loved it. I bought the SC, well... because of the EOC. I wanted to do some mods to my '04 because of what some of the owners here had done. I am not very good with tools and I thought the SC gave me some of the looks I wanted without having to do the mods myself. I am not exactly fond of the carpet, but I do still get most of the same utility as the EX. I do find I am a little more cautious now that I have carpeting, but I am not unhappy at all. I am glad there are different models of the E. There are enough to meet the needs of anyone interested in the Element and for whatever reason they may need one.

#16 · (Edited)
Just curious...

What's underneath the EX plastic / SC carpet floor sheeting?

I've been toying with the idea of putting down some rubber-backed indoor/outdoor carpeting to cut back on cargo movement, but I'm afraid it'd create a moisture barrier.

Once, long ago, the rear floor of my four year old 1971 Volkswagen bug rusted away and collapsed beneath a pair of plastic mats I'd installed shortly after purchase. The rest of the floor was in excellent shape.

I use to take that car to the beach almost every week, but I never was very careful about vaccuming up sand or asking my soaking-wet passengers to towel off before we left.

I'd hate to repeat that mistake.

#19 ·
The SC just fits an entirely different kind of person I guess. I think they look great but they're definitely not for me. They look a little too "modern urban" and that look already seems a bit outdated. But for folks who want a large urban crossover I'm sure they're awesome. They just don't feel like Elements the way I think of Elements.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
the concept of the SC to me is absurd. plain ridiculous if honda is going to half ass everything in the end and not make the car any faster than the E. it means that the extra $$$ we pay for is to look "cool". wtf. thats like a sheep hiding in a wolfs clothing. i dont get it. wheres my 200hp si motor?:x

#22 ·
...if honda is going to half ass everything in the end and not make the car any faster than the E. it means that the extra $$$ we pay for is to look "cool". wtf. thats like a sheep hiding in a gay wolfs clothing. i dont get it. wheres my 200hp si motor?:x
:D

Welcome to the car market in North America! It's been this way for years, people are willing to pay an awful lot to look "cool". Why do you think the Escalade and Hummer were so popular in their time?

#24 ·
I like my SC a lot. In some ways more than my '04 EX and in some ways less. True the EX didn't have carpet which made it better for my trips to the hardware store. But like a previous writer stated... I would have had to spend a great deal of money to get the lowered look I wanted. It just happened that Honda did to the SC what I would have wanted done to my EX, so I bought one.

I like all E's. They could all be better though in some area or another. The one you purchase though just depends on what trips your trigger. :)

#26 ·
Who cares? If you don't like it, stick with your EX or LX or EX-P or whatever. I personally don't care for the SC but hey, if it gets someone else into the E lifestyle I'm all for it. It's called flavor. If everything was vanilla, and you hate vanilla, just think what happens when root beer comes around! This is the same problem I encountered as a Jeeper. The old CJ guys hated the Wrangler guys who in turn hated the Cherokee guys. They are all Jeeps but everyone thinks their flavor is the best. At least the SC is keeping people from wasting money on Scion Xbs.:p

#27 ·
We recently had a Mid-South E-Meet here in NC.... and out of the 11 Elements in our day excursion, 6 were SC's. 55% of our Mid-South E Meet folks would disagree with what many of you say against the SC. We like our SCs. We like the way they drive, look and ride.

I feel like these "SC Hater" posts spring up when folks have nothing more to complain about so they look to differences within the car club. LXs, EXs, EX-Ps, SCs....all are part of the club we call the EOC.

#29 ·
We recently had a Mid-South E-Meet here in NC.... and out of the 11 Elements in our day excursion, 6 were SC's. 55% of our Mid-South E Meet folks would disagree with what many of you say against the SC. We like our SCs. We like the way they drive, look and ride.

I feel like these "SC Hater" posts spring up when folks have nothing more to complain about so they look to differences within the car club. LXs, EXs, EX-Ps, SCs....all are part of the club we call the EOC.

In the words of Rodney King after the LA riots, "Can't we all just get along

Attachments

#30 ·
I personally dig the SC's and I think they really look good, I like the lower roofline, and the way they sit a little lower. But I personally love my MM, EX and I wouldn't trade it for an SC. I'm not into the camping program, but I really dig how a lot of the E's have been fixed up for that purpose also. They have a special off-road look that I like, Empire's rig totally comes to mind. We all see the same canvas, but thankfully we all see something different, and that's just the beauty of people! If you love swimming in the Summer, the beauty of Autumn, sking in the Winter, and golfing in the Spring, then I guess there is no bad weather to you. Well, that's exactly the way I feel about Elements, "they're all good!"

Chief

#31 ·
I personally dig the SC's and I think they really look good, I like the lower roofline, and the way they sit a little lower. But I personally love my MM, EX and I wouldn't trade it for an SC. I'm not into the camping program, but I really dig how a lot of the E's have been fixed up for that purpose also. They have a special off-road look that I like, Empire's rig totally comes to mind. We all see the same canvas, but thankfully we all see something different, and that's just the beauty of people! If you love swimming in the Summer, the beauty of Autumn, sking in the Winter, and golfing in the Spring, then I guess there is no bad weather to you. Well, that's exactly the way I feel about Elements, "they're all good!"

Chief

All of what he said.:lol:

#32 ·
I would like to see the SC front and lower roofline standard on all 09's. It just looks more refined. I think a lot would agree with me on this one too. There should be un-painted panels as an option on all trim levels, it's what started it all in the first place. But most of all...why is there not a sunroof in the front option? I've seen the aftermarket sunroofs and they are $$$!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.