Honda Element Owners Club banner

Small battery driving you nuts? A BIGGER BATTERY FITS!

283K views 327 replies 147 participants last post by  wannahonda 
#1 · (Edited)
Check the date of this posting. It's old... practically ancient history in Internet time. Anyway, today's (early 2008 ) Optima is apparently not of the same quality as four years ago, although the packaging is the same. Accordingly, all of the below is caveat emptor.

I just put in an Optima "blue top" (marine spec) deep-cycle battery, in Group Size 31:

This battery is slightly wider, slightly taller, and about 3 inches longer than stock. It's rated 900 CCA (cold cranking amps), vs. 410 for stock, and 80 Amp-Hours, vs 45. It was not necessary to use the "blue top", but I wanted the extra terminals for other projects. The "yellow top" Optima D31A is the same battery.

Notes:

1) The stock battery cover and tray/heat shield are removed.

2) You'll probably notice that the big plastic box to the right is missing in my photo (that's the intake resonator). The new battery is a tight fit with the resonator, but it will fit if you unclip the cable clamp from the bottom left of the battery tray.

3) The "blue top" negative (-) terminal was too far back. I had to re-route ground cabling and move some clamps to get it to work with the stock ground harness. This particular wiring is very simple (it's just 4 AWG) and could be duplicated.

3a) This is not a problem with the "yellow top" D31 - terminals are in the right places.

4) There is no holddown clamp in the photo. The stock clamps are about 1/8" too short and the bar is too narrow. A trip to AutoZone is in order for generic replacements. Do not drive your E without the battery clamped-down!

5) A "regular" Group Size 31 battery may not fit. Optimas are usually physically smaller than their spec.

6) At 60 pounds, this battery is double the weight of the OEM battery.

I bought the battery through http://www.remybattery.com for $139 plus $16 shipping. This was by nearly $40 the best price I could find anywhere for this size, which is the largest single-unit battery Optima makes.

See less See more
#248 ·
These coupon codes are not working!

I just purchased an Optima Battery at Advance Auto Parts.
It took $40 off $100 purchase. if you dont want follow this link the
coupon code is CCABIN
couponsmonk.us/coupon/advanceautoparts.com/
couponcabin.com/popup/offer/462310/
Any other live coupon code? I am also looking to buy Optima Battery but the offers listed above are expired.

#203 ·
So far I love my new DieHard Advanced Gold AGM Battery.
See my original post>http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73013

The other day I was sitting in front of my local Starbucks with my netbook
plugged in to the car surfing the net and my radio blasting for more than four
hours and the battery voltage stayed at 12.5 volts the hole time. To say I
didn't have any trubble starting my car later. Also my HID headlights no longer
black out and re-strike when I start my car like they used too.:)

#204 ·
My Optima yellow-top D31A just bit the dust after eight years of flawless service. Not an open-circuit failure, though; it just couldn't maintain a full charge anymore.

I bought another one (boy, have they gone up in price!), and installed it today. Comes with a two-year replacement warranty (no pro-rating), which hopefully I won't need. I will report if there are any problems.

BTW warrantees on yellow tops vary between 12 and 36 months. Details here.

#206 · (Edited)
ZQlfF6h9,

I bought another Optima because I was completely satisfied with the first one. Time will tell whether it was a good decision.

> despite the short warranty
Is two years, with no pro-rating, "short"?

> Just not into the battery mods?
Not sure what this means. I had to remove the plastic battery box to install my first D31A, and further modifications certainly wouldn't scare me off. But the size 31 battery is huge, has higher capacity than a 51, and of course the yellow Optima is made for deep discharge, which suits my car-camping lifestyle.

The crucial factor was that my old Optima did not suffer the open-circuit failure that Mike has written about. I'm not saying it has never happened, only that in eight years, it didn't happen to me.

#207 ·
>I bought another Optima because I was completely satisfied with the first one. Time will tell whether it was a good decision.

You avoided the QA decline question. Is your decision based on more than faith?

>Is two years, with no pro-rating, "short"?

Yes. For the price premium, really short. (True, replacement versus pro-rata is apples-to-oranges, but a 2-year battery guarantee is short.)

The "battery mods" comment was meant as a personal preference question; the project must end someplace. The ground wire extension is not mandatory, but was added at a later date. It's a preference. The optima seems to be the only direct drop-in replacement without tray modification- just longer bolts and no "blanket."

#208 ·
You avoided the QA decline question. Is your decision based on more than faith?
I have seen no hard data to support the reported decline in quality. Therefore it was not part of my purchase decision.

The "battery mods" comment was meant as a personal preference question; the project must end someplace. The ground wire extension is not mandatory, but was added at a later date. It's a preference. The optima seems to be the only direct drop-in replacement without tray modification- just longer bolts and no "blanket."
I did the very minor modifications eight years ago, and there was no need to do any others this time around. If I were to choose a different battery that required further mods, I wouldn't hesitate to do them. It's a non-issue for me.

#209 ·
As a point of clarification on ramblerdan's post, the warranty on our YellowTop varies from one month in series string applications without a battery management system, up to three years free replacement. The vast majority of folks fall under the three-year free replacement umbrella, although our Group 31 batteries are limited to a maximum two-year free replacement warranty.

ZqlfF6h9, I don't know why ramblerdan chose to buy our battery again, but it may have something to do with the fact that his previous Optima lasted eight years. While some folks on this site have indicated they are experiencing a rash of “sudden” failures with our batteries, when I asked for specific examples, the best one anyone was able to come up with in more than a year since, was a battery that failed “suddenly” after seven years of use.

If the length of warranty plays that big of a factor in someone's decision to purchase one battery over another, there are many generic store brand batteries that will offer longer warranty periods than Optima. There is also a better chance someone will actually need to use those warranties. Ultimately, I think most folks try to balance a number of factors when making a purchase, which is why companies like Hyundai and Kia with their longer warranties don't absolutely dominate the marketplace.

ramblerdan, be sure to send in your $25 rebate form and get some money back on your recent purchase.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.twitter.com/optimabatteries

#210 ·
I just put a 34R Redtop in my '06.

Took the stock battery box deal out, used an adjustable to clamp/bar ($4), and pushed the metal mounting tab out a little bit (down where the "J" hook part of the hold downs go.

Only took about :15 to get it in, now I need to dig out my radio code...

Attachments

#212 · (Edited)
I messed around with the spacer for a minute or two. I left it out to give me a bit more room around the top of the battery. I have the power supply/relay for my Xenon lights and stereo wiring all there. I'm also toying with the idea of a Bull Bar and and lights on it, so more wiring (my 50watt Xenons are fantastic so that reduced my want for more lights, for now...) Kinda liked having a bit more room. I loosened up the fittings for the CAI tubes and re-aligned them slightly too to allow for the hold down bracket.

Just to ask, what benefit is there of raising the battery up?
- Mine is secure
- Fits with no issues
- I like the bit of extra room
I've got the spacer on hand still and the stock the parts just in case.

#215 ·
SEARS2012 coupon code

Just tried using this and it's only good for $5 off an order of $50 or more. Most definitely NOT 30% off! :| If anyone else has had a different experience please post your experience here. Can't wait to put in a Diehard Platinum P-4 regardless, but it sure would be nice to slap a fat discount on there!

#219 ·
Just tried using this and it's only good for $5 off an order of $50 or more. Most definitely NOT 30% off! :| If anyone else has had a different experience please post your experience here. Can't wait to put in a Diehard Platinum P-4 regardless, but it sure would be nice to slap a fat discount on there!
I read elsewhere that the effect of the code differs on certain days, and that was a 1 day deal (for the 30), and the other days is only 5 off 50. Allegedly, they repeat the sale monthly (for 1 day), and you can get a low price guarantee (difference refunded), if you go back on the 30% day, with your receipt. I'll be watching for this and attempting to verify in the next 30 days.

#228 ·
I had a 51R in my 2004 Element. It started not being able to hold a charge. Mornings were always scary---will it start? For months I've been trickle charging it, hoping the next morning it would start. It was a Kirkland and only 8 months old! Lots of research here---alternator? Loose battery connections? Bad luck?

Finally I went back to Costco and got a size 35, 640 CCA as opposed to the anemic 51R 500 CCA. Installation was fairly straightforward, in the parking lot. Bent down the tabs, had an expandable battery tie down with me but the stock threaded rods weren't long enough. They were long enough on paper but not in reality. I camstrapped the battery in place till I got back to O'Reilleys for longer rods.

I stuck the package I got with the expandable tie down into the tray to fill it up a bit. Not ideal but that worked. Talk about a minimalist install. I put a lead thimble-looking thing on my positive post so the stock clamp would actually grip tightly.

And it starts like it should. Instead of some lame cranking that got slower after 2 seconds, this battery starts with authority and actually cranks faster after one second. What a relief. 8 degrees tonight, we'll see what happens tomorrow morning!

#231 ·
Ten years on a battery is not the norm, congratulations. Five to 7 years is great life for a battery. I usually have mine checked every so often at Advance Auto after 5 years. If it's lost 15 to 20 percent of its CCA, I replace it to be on the safe side. I like to buy a battery when they are on sale and before a failure, such as in a Mall parking lot or on a road trip.

#232 ·
^^^ The money. So you didn't need as new tray or other parts? Everything just fit?

#237 ·
Small Battery

Does anyone know what the smallest battery that would be needed to just start the element?

I am looking to install a dual battery system, and don't want to get too into messing around with moving parts around the engine bay. It would be much easier to get a larger battery that would fit into the stock battery area as the aux, and a smaller battery to the left of the strut mount.

Any help?

Thanks

#238 ·
Does anyone know what the smallest battery that would be needed to just start the element?

I am looking to install a dual battery system, and don't want to get too into messing around with moving parts around the engine bay. It would be much easier to get a larger battery that would fit into the stock battery area as the aux, and a smaller battery to the left of the strut mount.

Any help?

Thanks
Why 2 batteries? Enlighten me.

Why not just buy a emergency starter kit that comes with a battery and is only designed to start the car if the main battery dies ..

http://www.duracellpower.com/battery-chargers/power-packs/powerpack-300.aspx

There are also cheaper light duty car starters found elsewhere.

#244 ·
FYI, my DieHard Adv. Gold died at about 1.5yrs. I thought I just drained it by accident, but I tried to jump the car and it wouldn't start. I took it by Sears, they charged for about an hour and then tested, and said it was bad. They gave me ZERO trouble with the warranty and handed me a brand new one for free. I didn't even need the receipt because they had the purchase on file, even though it was not the original purchase location (a different sears).

The replacement is brand new. However, the warranty does not restart for the new one. It only continues the old warranty.

I'm still happy with the battery, but I would suggest getting your old one tested just prior to the 3-year (gold) or 4-year (plat.) warranty expires.

#265 ·
Well, I killed another DH Adv Gold. Under 3 years this time, but was already a replacement so the original warranty was 4.5 years old (expired at 3). The car was not being driven due to a needed repair the last few weeks. Just popping in and out of my garage. Suddenly wouldn't start. Sears tested and it came back as uncharged AND bad.

I decided to buy the Platinum this time to replace it (4yr) but they said they discontinued it.

I guess I will go Gold again, and get it checked before 3 years again. If it happens a 3rd time, I will give up on these.

#245 · (Edited)
I've been lurking in this thread for some time and wanted to say that, thanks to your input, I upgraded my E's battery without a hitch.

I live in northern Canada where it's colder than a household freezer and opted for an 800 CCA group 34 battery. I initially set out to buy the Sears model in this thread, but Sears Canada doesn't carry the DieHard line. My final choice landed me where I never thought I'd purchase a car battery --> Walmart. The price for their EverStart Maxx 34N (North) model, coupled with the fact it's manufactured by Johnson Controls, is what sealed the deal. It comes with 3 years free replacement warranty and 3 years emergency roadside assistance which, considering where I live, they better pray I never need to use :-D

#308 · (Edited)
I've been lurking in this thread for some time and wanted to say that, thanks to your input, I upgraded my E's battery without a hitch.

I live in northern Canada where it's colder than a household freezer and opted for an 800 CCA group 34 battery. I initially set out to buy the Sears model in this thread, but Sears Canada doesn't carry the DieHard line. My final choice landed me where I never thought I'd purchase a car battery --> Walmart. The price for their EverStart Maxx 34N (North) model, coupled with the fact it's manufactured by Johnson Controls, is what sealed the deal. It comes with 3 years free replacement warranty and 3 years emergency roadside assistance which, considering where I live, they better pray I never need to use :-D

Sorry to reply to an old comment. I attempted to do the same today but failed due to the battery wires not being able to reach. How did you manage to get your cables to reach? The negative one is especially short. Did you just removed the clips holding them? I also noticed the battery does not sit completely down to the bottom. The metal rail seems too narrow for the whole thing to drop in. I am tempted to return this Everstart Maxx 34N for another model that fits a little better.

EDIT: Returned the 34N and got the 35. The terminals are now on the correct side and the cables reached. But the width is still too large and the battery rides on the rail. Is that how everyone is leaving the battery?

#248 · (Edited)
Its 2016-Aug and I have a honda element 2006. what is the best battery for my car? I'm ok with modding it to make it larger. I see that many people are choosing the 34N size?

Also sears doesn't seem like they carry the P4 model anymore.

Anyone have pics of the install for a 2006?

Also how long does a 34 vs 5X last for in comparison?

Is amazon a good place to buy? I only see the optima ones, and I'm not sure if one gets the red or yellow top? Also do i need agm battery?

#250 · (Edited)
no im saying im a bit confused on what to get because there are so many answers. most of the links that people have put up are gone since some of these threads go back a few years.

Does anyone have links to the items i would need to buy? say for 24f or 35R? where do i get the accessories?

do i get this one? http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...78-950/16210015-P?searchTerm=optima+batteries

or should i just get a diehard gold? http://www.sears.com/diehard-advanc...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

are those the correct ones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.