Honda Element Owners Club banner

My E's DIY story

15K views 85 replies 17 participants last post by  oakcreekeric 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

I'm still new to the element but not to Honda, I started posting all the stuff I am currently doing to my element in the intro section but decided to move it here. I will just copy and past everything so far.

The Element is named Betty2.0 this is because my old 96 accord was originally named Betty, it was a JDM H23 Swapped black sedan with matching H23 Transmission full Apexi WS2 Catback exhaust system with Skunk2 headers on D2 Coilovers, I took it off the road to start building the engine for boost but ended up getting a 2008 335xi which I tried to keep stock while I built the Accord but that went out the window 7 months after I got it. so I ended up parting out the accord and started building the bmw...needles to say I was on the hunt for a Element because I fell in love with all the things you can do with them and it would be perfect to take my Modified Ruckus with me to events that I could not ride to.

Anyways enough with the Backstories here is what I have done so far with the element.

after months of searching I finally pulled the trigger on a '03 Black Element with 131k. I've been lurking this forums for months just doing as much research as I could, but as soon as I got the element I forgot everything..lol

So far I have cleaned the rims, still need to wash the car itself. but I went hard in the interior and cleaned all the panels and rear sections of the car, still need to clean out the front lower section of the box, I used simple green mixed with water and scrubbed the hell out of the panels and floor. I forgot to take pics of before and after. smh.

But here is a pic of the element
sorry it dirty haven't had the chance to wash it.

[/QUOTE]

so I got a chance to install the read cladding from an 06 onto my 03 and since this is my first time doing it, I am not sure if I should have started from the bottom of the top so I started from the bottom and noticed it was a little tough to line up the upper clips but I got it to work. I might have to take it off and redo it, but for not its fine.

Also what section do I go to so I can start a build section? sorry noob in the house...lol

here are some pics of what I have done.

so here is what was currently on the car

This is what it looked liked after I removed it

it was not as dirty as I thought it was going to be, but I did clean it up for now, sorry forgot to take a picture after I cleaned it. The car still needs to be washed regardless.

Here is the 06 Cladding

Here she is with the new cladding in place.

Here what the side panel was looking like

Here is the 06 panel

I took of the exiting panel and saw the little damage from when the lady hit the car in the parking lot

I stopped there because I want to try to fix that up a little and then re-spray it with some rustoleum black paint to prevent anymore cancer. then I will continue from there.

So far the back was not that bad just think I need to redo it so all the clips are properly seated and I will let you know how the front goes. I will be doing that later today.

I also swapped out the interior lights for LED and they look a lot better, I will also be doing the speado with LED lights just waiting for them to show up

ok so i did not get a chance to do the fender today so i went ahead and swapped out the center assembly that houses the a/c controls and radio from the old beat up one to a new one

Old Center

old vs new

Please be aware you will need to remove the two little tabs that hold the a/c controls or the unit will not sit flush
tab to be removed are in the center

i did not have my dremel so i just twisted them off with pliers

New one is installed and of course i forgot to take a picture. i will post it this weekend when i go back to do the fender and motor mounts.

sorry about that guys

I needed to buy some more of these fasteners so I had to pause on installing the Front cladding.

Thank you to platmurp and ramblerdan for directing in the right way to find a cheaper alternative than the dealer that was trying to charge me 7 buck each for one of those...haha thieves..

if you guys need more of these, here is the ebay link to the ones I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/371732822527?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

so this is it for now, I will try to get more done this weekend and keep going from there. this will be a long slow process since I just got married and we are trying to start a family, so spending money will have to be calculated at time.

Thank you for looking and any help and ideas are welcomed.

Ohh I forgot I did swap out my interior lights to LEd and I will also swap out the Cluster to LED this weekend if my lights show up here today.

See less See more
#46 ·
Great work on the E. I just picked up a 04 5spd EX a few days ago. Good to see another E owner in NYC. Where did you get the exterior plastic cladding from? The previous owner cracked the front bumper cover and its really an eye sore for me.

Keep up the good work!! I might need to pick your brain once it gets warmer here.

#47 ·
Thanks bro.... I hope you enjoy to E, funny thing I still haven't taken it on the road..lol

I got a lot of my parts from hondapartsnow online but for the bigger stuff they will kill you on shipping. so for the bumpers I am getting them from hondapartssuperstore online as well.

I will help you anyway I can, I am doing as much work as I can myself and I am no mechanic..lol but I do ask friends for help when I need it.
\

#48 ·
I haven't taken it on the road either. lol. Planning on swinging by DMV after work to register the E.

My first mod will have to be changing out the stock stereo into a double din w/ Bluetooth and installing a backup camera. I've gotten spoiled driving all my other cars.

#50 ·
Guys, I picked up some rep wheels that my friend had at his shop, they are 18x8.5 +35 offset.

I've been reading a lot on this forum about tire fitments and what works and doesn't work, and I think I've come to the conclusion that want to run something with ???/50/18 just not sure on the width because I do intend to lower me E close to 2 inches just to remove some of the gap in the wheel well. can any of you guys suggest a proper width on the tires. 235 up to 255. I like the square look and I am going to be running a Dunlop all Season tires. I like their tires, they hold up very well in all conditions.

Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

#58 ·
Finally got back to working on the element. Did the belt which for some reason gave me a world of trouble to get on. First honda sent me the wrong belt so I ran to the local auto parts store and picked up another one and it was still hard to get on but I got it. But for some reason the tensioner is super close to the motor mount so now I have to get a shorter bolt to make it work. Anyone have this problem before?

I only took a pic of the front rotor. Sorry guys.

#61 ·
yeah I trust their product this is why I went with them.

Jesus Joe... You're going to rebuild the whole E by the time you're done. :batman2:
lol, I was just thinking the same thing. but I've been out of the Honda game for a while, so I plan on keeping this E around a long time. after I get it back on the road I will see what else needs to be replaced or fixed.

I'm already thinking a K20 head and building up my K24 bottom end for some more power and converting it to a 5speed. but this is in the future, have to much going on in my life to even think about spending that kind of money.

#66 ·
SO I went ahead and made one of the classic Honda emblems at my friends shop using his laser machine that he uses to make stuff with

Also got some BWR rear LCA's for the RSX to put on my element. friend of mine had them sitting at his shop and said I could have them, so I took them...lol
hopefully not much modding needed to make them work.

#67 ·

Also got some BWR rear LCA's for the RSX to put on my element. friend of mine had them sitting at his shop and said I could have them, so I took them...lol
hopefully not much modding needed to make them work.
did you also get, or can you get, the special socket needed to remove the 3 bolts at 1 end of each LCA? once you have that it's just a remove and replace task. oh, and be prepared for some sizable torque (>125) for some of those bolts. i had to use a cheater pipe on the end of my 25" breaker bar and then bench press rather than pull down, because my 200 lb body was coming off the ground when i tried to pull down. (i was doing this on jack stands and not on a rack, so my feet were still on the ground.)

#71 ·
Joe, looking good. Once you get done (never) you can rest and enjoy. Take god care of your E and it will last you forever. Have had mine for over 7 years now and it is awesome. Nothing better out there in my opinion for overall use. Kind of finished what I can do on The Hellement now, so I just enjoy it. Had to get an S2000 so I had something to work on. Loving it. I have had it so about 2 years and have yet to put it on the road. Enjoy your E!

#72 ·
Thank you. And you are right it will never end. I've owned this E for about 6 months and it still has not moved from my garage. Haha.

I would love to buy another project (72 bmw 2002tii) but I don't have the time or money for that type of project right now. So my 08 335xi will be my project once I get the element on the road. Bigger turbos and new suspension and a fresh paint job and little thing here and there and I will be happy. The wife won't be happy with me but she really can't stop me. Haha.

Love your E by the way. I'm tempted to do a full engine built for the element so when this engine dies I can swap it right in. :razz:

#73 ·
So started the suspension part of my project, I went with D2's full coilovers, we are now dealing with the dust covers on the rear touching the grooves on the shock body causing a disturbing sound. So going to take off the rear shocks so we can cut the dust covers back a little more, so when the shock compresses it does not let the dust covers touch the bottom of the shock cause it to curl and touch the grooves.
Picture time.

#77 ·
Ohh yeah, definitely get the adjustable rear upper control arms. It will give you all the camber adjustments you'll want/need.
When I was getting alignments they couldn't get the rear into spec due to old age of the bushings/components... and I'm on stock suspention. Bought Dorman brand for something like $30 shipped and its been in spec ever since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.