Honda Element Owners Club banner

Undercarriage Damage Likely?

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  paulj 
#1 ·
So, I have a problem and I'm hoping some wiser heads can weigh in. I was at a concert last night and had to park on an uphill grassy slope, with a curb at the top where the exit road was. Being slightly tired, I didn't notice that the height of that curb was pretty substantial. My E climbed up the grassy part without issue (unlike the 2WD Blazer next to me who got stuck) but when I crossed over the curb and dropped to the street there was some unfortunate sounds made.

I know my right side step lost a chunk of the front support - I can see that. What else would be likely to be damaged in that sort of grinding cross? I took it at a diagonal with the front left coming down first. I have it parked on a pad to look for leaks at the moment - driving home I didn't feel any shudder or problems with drivetrain.

Thoughts on what I should be watching for?

#2 ·
On the update - went outside and the pad I had put out doesn't have any leaks I can see. In the light I can see black smudges/scratches on a bulb shaped housing in front of the muffler. I can also see the break in the front support of the passenger's running board, and also some scratching inboard of that on that same support. I don't see any damage between the wheels or forwards of that.

#6 ·
On the update - went outside and the pad I had put out doesn't have any leaks I can see. In the light I can see black smudges/scratches on a bulb shaped housing in front of the muffler. I can also see the break in the front support of the passenger's running board, and also some scratching inboard of that on that same support. I don't see any damage between the wheels or forwards of that.
That would be the catalytic converter... hundreds of dollars to replace if you damaged/broke it. Sounds like you might have just banged it and scratched it though.

I would check the exhaust for leaks around all of the connections in and around the cat.

#3 ·
Check the monkey bar thing that wraps around the fuel tank so that it isn't poking into the plastic tank. If that bar rubs on the fuel tank it might be fine now but, some time down the road it will wear through and leak. I tore one off on a large rock in the snow and it was $145 for a new one, which I mangled almost immediately. The second time I just bent it back into shape and made sure it did not touch the tank anywhere.

#5 · (Edited)
When you bent in back in to shape, did you remove it first. I tried that and it was a nightmare getting it back on. Now I just keep in on and get very inventive with a large plumbers wrench, crowbar and on old, very strong Hydraulic jack.

#4 ·
Alignment could have also been affected. You might not see any noticeable effects from it until your tires wear uneven and prematurely.

#7 ·
old timers alignment check

us old guys used this trick to check for alignment problems.

wet down the street, driveway or parking lot
and then drive straight across.

look at the tracks in wet pavement.
mis alignment, even a little will be evident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.