Honda Element Owners Club banner

winter tire questions.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Island E 
#1 ·
First off, I have gone through the TPMS thread and am considering putting them in for the sake of the VSA only, afterall, if I can't turn it off, why have it?

Just want to confirm something on here, the TPMS sensors are part specific for the E, are they not? According to some tire shops, there are generic 315mHz ones, but I don't believe these will work with the E.

I picked up a MINT set of 05 OEMs for my 08. They cost me the same as a set of steelies, I was pleased, they have old worn rubber on them which will be pitched when it comes off.

Now onto the tire choosing...
I live in Hamilton where we get the lake breeze and its generally not -30C for the whole winter, in fact its quite warm here compared to the rest of Canada, so I'm a little torn between dedicated winters or going with a light truck with a snow rating.

I'm really considering a set of General Grabber AT2s, as they not only look awesome, but I believe in this size are snow rated, and have a heavy tread for the soft stuff. quoted 149CAD/tire installed and 61 for TPMS if they're generic, so i'll hold off on that until i get my answer from above question.

The Firestone Winterforce have a pretty aggressive tread and i've been quoted 128CAD/tire installed.

Anyone else have any recommendations on this, especially from experience in this area and our winters?

See less See more
#2 ·
Further to this....

I've priced TPMS from the stealership at $55 each. Am tempted to order my tires online from Discount Tire. Tempted for Yokohama GO72s at this point as talking to some folks about General on the whole has started to move me away from them.

Has anyone up here north of the border ordered from Discount Tire? i see they sponsor this forum which makes me immediately like them :grin:

#3 ·
Ordered my wheels and a set of TRPMS sensors through discount tire. The sensors were $120 for a set and the wheels were $55 a piece for steel wheels.

I got the on base service station to match a $67/tire price I found online for some Firestone Winterforce tires. Damn good price if you ask me.

Had to do a bit of modifying to get the sensors to work with the sateel wheels. I ended up fabbing up some washers to go on the outside so the lock nut would pull the sensors up tight enough to seal. No biggie though. If you're putting these on alloy wheels I don't think you're going to have a problem since the alloys are made of a thicker material.

Everything worked out great, and the tires are sitting in the garage waiting for snow to fall.

Seriously look into the Winterforce tires. For the money you can't beat them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.