Honda Element Owners Club banner

Rear Differential Fluid Change

15K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  brotherc20 
#1 ·
I was told at the dealer that it was recommended that i change my fluid @ somewhere around 35k. I was wondering if anyone has changed it on there own and has any helpful tips? I have a hard time paying $27 for and oil change (because there's nothing to it) and I'm not gonna pay $50 for this. I see somebody said it doesn't need to be changed until 90k but i highly doubt that, anyway let me know what you've found out.

#3 ·
With all the talk about rear diff fluid breaking down and causing a rumbling sound in AWD Elements way before the recommended change interval, check out this link here for the dual pump fluid. It mentions changing it every 30K miles:shock: Surprised the hell out of me when I first started reading this around here in the forums.

#4 ·
Ok People, I've had the Duel Pump Fluid changed in my CRV ! I finally got an explanition for the noise that makes sense to me!! This is what the Dealer told me :

" when the fluid starts thinning out, the Pressure in the pump drops. That keeps the clutch plates in the Rear Dif. from making solid contact. They chatter causing the noise, a kind of groan or grind noise. You hear it on tight turns because one tire is traveling a grater distance than the other. That's the same to the system as one wheel slipping. So the system thinks it needs to activate the AWD."

IT FINNALY MAKES SENCE !!!!!!

#5 ·
This is from my experience...CHANGE it at every 30,000 miles. I started to get that rumbling noise around 31,000 miles and it was my rear diff. fluid. I asked the dealer and they had been dealing with this on many Elements and were now recommending changing it at every 30,000. I just changed it a month or so for the second time at 64,000, again i started to hear some of the same noise from the rear. Again it was low. It is a cheap way to save the AWD,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.