Honda Element Owners Club banner

Check engine light/gasoline smell

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  lizzurd 
#1 ·
I'm posting on my lunch break so I don't have a lot of time to answer questions if there are any. I will check back tonight after work and to follow up.

A few days ago I noticed a relatively strong gas odor when I turned the car off after parking in my driveway. The next morning I paid attention when I parked at work and didn't notice the smell. That afternoon at lunch I smelled it again. After that I don't remember if smelled it again that day.
The next morning my gas cap message came on, which is odd b/c I always twist on tight but next time I parked I gave it a few extra turns and eventually the light went off.

A full day of no gas cap light, or gasoline smell goes by including my drive into work this morning. On my way home from work just a few moments ago the engine light came on and when I parked the car the gas smell was back. I have an appt to see the dealer in the morning but I was hoping to go in a little informed since I'm not the brightest when it comes to this kind of thing.

There is plenty of oil although it is due for it's first change. I have had the car for about 3 months, 5K miles. Commute to work is less than 5 miles so most of the mileage is highway. (I travel a lot)

2007 EX AWD

Any ideas?

See less See more
#4 ·
Follow up

OK upon further inspection (after putting a little gas in the tank) I noticed I was getting some spilling onto and out of the tank itself. I brought it back into the dealer immediately instead of waiting until morning.

The vent pipe from the gas tank has a plastic fitting that was apparently chewed through by a rodent. Probably one of these south Florida rats. The bad news they have to replace the entire tank and obviously isn't covered under warranty. The good news is insurance will cover it so I'm not out the $700 and change for the tank and labor.

So yeah, figure that one out.

#6 ·
The vent pipe from the gas tank has a plastic fitting that was apparently chewed through by a rodent....The bad news they have to replace the entire tank and obviously isn't covered under warranty....
Chewed by a rat? :shock: Not covered under warranty? :shock: Ranks right up there with "my dog ate my homework".

I'd scream about that one.

#8 ·
at the dealer we see stuff like this all the time. mice love the valley in the V6 ODYS and ACC. we always see nests there and the chew the knock sensor and the injectors.

im guessing this would be considered an act of god. just like if you were to hit a deer.

#10 ·
Apparently these are the dreaded gasoline eating rats I've heard so much about.

They probably came here from Africa. Like the killer bees.

No doubt the result of laboratory experiments gone horribly wrong.

I'll be ready for them.
Let my experience be a lesson to everyone. No matter how much better the gas mileage is, do not put a thin coating of cheese over your gas tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.