Honda Element Owners Club banner

Skunk 2 cams need piggyback?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  SDCEP3 
#1 ·
I am in the process of installing a set of stage 1 Skunk 2 cams for my E. The sales rep down here told me I would need some form of engine managment if I installed the cams. He said AEM makes a "piggyback" system that will allow adjustment for the fuel and timing curve, enough to make this setup driveable. Do I really need the AEM? Aren't the Skunk 2 stage 1 cams a drop in? Please help.....

#3 ·
cams are a major change to the air delivery in the engine, you need to change the fuel mapping to go along with it or you will run into problems. I can see this causing major reliability problems if you don't. More aggressive cams deliver considerably more air at high rpms and less at lower rpms. You will confuse your stock ecu.

It will think you are running rich at low rpms, adjust the fuel trim back, and then you run it to high rpms you will run way lean. High rpm+high load+lean can mean detonation and very bad things can happen.

#4 ·
I have an automatic tranny...will the AEM system work? Anyone here have the Skunk 2 cams, an AEM "piggyback" system on an automatic? What is the name of the AEM system?

By the way, the tuner that I am working with said I can expect about 12HP with the cams alone and about 25 if I employ the AEM, so that it could be properly tuned.

#6 · (Edited)
Yes i am running the fic.. Miami- Boomslang makes a plug n play harness for the fic in the element, since I sent them the wiring... It does not say what year you have, as k pro may be an option... Fill in your profile so we know what year and model you have.;) I do think the fic would work for you, but k pro will make you fully able to take advantage of the more aggressive profile..

#8 ·
Look them up online. They make harnesses so you don't have to solder the wires in the factory harness. That way if you want to return the car to stock you can just unplug it. Search on here, I have one, and did a thread on the install. K pro is also an option for you as you have the older element with the drive by cable throttle body, etc. It may be more expensive, but if it was an option for me, I would have gotten it instead. Can't beat an oem style tuning device. If you have any questions, pm me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.