Honda Element Owners Club banner

Door panel removal DIY. Warning! image heavy

217K views 97 replies 69 participants last post by  sacandagadave 
#1 · (Edited)
Door panel and lock removal DIY. Warning! image heavy

This is done on my '05 with power windows and locks. I'm pretty sure they're all set up this way but the SC might be different.

Remove the 2 screw covers and the speaker grille.

Remove the 6 phillips screws. One under the armrest, two on the door handle and three on the speaker.

cont...

See less See more
#84 ·
Read the post in its entirety, and the linking post that shows how to remove the handle.

HOLYMOLY was that a pain in the A$$ (and I'm somewhat handy). Previous comments show some people completing the fix without removing the door handle - they must have played the game Operation often in their youth; I attempted to remove the part without the handle removal and wasn't able to maneuver the module without finally removing that handle (and that C-CLIP... OMG that was SO TOUGH).

In the end it took me 3.5 hours, and it's been the hardest car repair I have ever completed. Being it's a 2003; 17 year old car... I wasn't about to drop $400 for that type of repair.

Thank you for the write-up it helped immensely!

#87 ·
Another thank you for the original post with such great details and photos and subsequent tips and tricks.
Replace both front door door check straps yesterday. First one took me an hour (struggled to get panel lined up with exterior metal lip at window opening). The second took less than 15 minutes! Dealer had quoted me 120 plus tax per door, parts were under $50 ordered through parts counter. Having smashed my leg with door a few times recently, this was a worthwhile endeavour.

#90 ·
I paid a shop to do mine because fawk its hot. $458.

I Was driving around and the window just dropped into the door.

#91 ·
So I recently tore apart my doors for sound insulation. I was planning on replacing the driver side window motor as it is slightly slower than the driver side. Figured it would be an easy switch, nope. I took an extensive look at it and decided to pass. Indeed, it is hot right now!

#97 ·
Door panel and lock removal DIY. Warning! image heavy

This is done on my '05 with power windows and locks. I'm pretty sure they're all set up this way but the SC might be different.

Remove the 2 screw covers and the speaker grille.

Remove the 6 phillips screws. One under the armrest, two on the door handle and three on the speaker.

cont...
Does anyone know how to find/access the images for this old post? I've got a door lock that's not working right.

Tim
2008 EX AWD Auto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.