Honda Element Owners Club banner

cv joint problem?

24K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Generation "X" Dad 
#1 ·
What does the cv joint look like, what should I look for to see if they are bad? My 07 E AWD (138,000 miles) is making a loud popping sound coming from the front end when turning sharp at slow speeds in parking lots, etc. Could the cv joints be causing this or something else? Any advice appreciated.

#4 ·
That's it. The passenger side cv boot is torn. Is it ok to drive it, if so how long? Is that a repair that only Honda can fix?

#5 ·
Do you know how long it's been torn/worn? They might be able to save the joint w/ cleaning/greasing and boot replacement, but at worst replace the joint all together (or is it replace the axle). On my accord it was bad enough to get the axles replaced, plus my wheel bearings were shot.

Start shopping around for prices, dealer or Independent Honda/Acura mechanic.

#6 · (Edited)
It's hard to say how long it will go but I know a friend of mine had a bad driveshaft on his '87 Integra and he let it go to the point where it was making noise on straightline acceleration from a stop. If your vehicle came into our dealership with that complaint (FYI we're all paid hourly with no commission or incentives for upsells) we would recommend replacing the entire shaft. If the customer only wants the boot done, we will do so but only after advising them that the noise won't go away. The only time we would suggest boot-only replacement is if it's cracking but hasn't opened up.

If the boot HAS split open but the joint ISN'T making any noise, we give the customer the option of replacing the entire shaft assembly or just the boot itself. We make them aware that the integrity of the joint may have been compromised by the boot being torn open and we can't guarantee it won't make noise in the future.

#7 ·
Can I take it to a local repair shop & just let them order required parts from Honda dealer? They would be a lot cheaper that the dealer.

#8 ·
I'm not sure how independent shops work in your area but if you specifically request a genuine Honda part, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Or you could simply order the part from your dealer and bring it to the shop you'll have the work performed at since you'll be paying full retail for the part either way.

#9 ·
The shop says they can get the parts from Honda & replace the cv joint & boot for $405. They can't do it til Thursday, so I'll have to drive it for 500 miles or so til then. I've already driven about 10,000+ miles with the problem so I guess a little more won't hurt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.