Honda Element Owners Club banner

Puff of Smoke at Start-up -Opinions Requested

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  psschmied 
#1 ·
Hello!

Here is the scenario. Last week I was parked on a hill (facing downhill) for a day or so. When I started up the E, I saw a puff of smoke in the back. It looked white, but I cannot guarantee if it was white or blue.

Its never done this prior, and hasn't done it since. Any ideas what might have caused this? Could the parking angle have allowed a small amount of oil to pool in the cylinders and subsequently get burned off? Should I go through the hassle of taking it into Honda and having them look it over? Its under warranty, but sitting in the dealership can be a PITA.

My E is a 2010 with 31K miles...Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

#3 · (Edited)
One puff? It's not a problem unless it continues on a dry day after the vehicle is warmed up, there's a huge smelly cloud belching out of the exhaust, or you have a steady loss of oil or coolant over time.

Exhaust visible at startup

White exhaust = water vapor - normal, frequently seen on cold/wet mornings.

WORST CASE SCENARIOS

If white exhaust continues after warmup, possible causes:

-Transmission fluid may be entering the intake manifold through vacuum modulator. Replace vacuum modulator
-Cylinder head gasket(s) may be bad. Replace cylinder head gasket(s).
-Cylinder head(s) may be warped or cracked. Resurface or replace cylinder heads.
-The engine block may be cracked. Replace engine block.

If blue or gray smoke continues after warmup, possible causes:

-The engine's piston rings may be worn. Replace piston rings.
-The engine's valve seals may be worn. Replace valve seals. (Generally not a DIY job)
-Damaged or worn valve guides. Replace valve guides.

Symptom: Engine uses more oil than normal, and there is always some smoke from the exhaust. The oil level is low between oil changes. It appears that the oil is being burned by the engine because of the smoke in the exhaust. You may or may not notice the engine doesn't have the same power as it used to.

Possible causes:
-The PCV system is not working properly. Replace PCV valve.
-The engine may have mechanical problems. Check compression to determine engine condition.
-The engine's piston rings may be worn. Replace piston rings.
-The engine's valve seals may be worn. Replace valve seals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.