Where's the Fuse for my Trailer Lights? - Page 2 - Honda Element Owners Club Forum
      Honda Element Owners Club Forum
Go Back   Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Notices

ElementOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Element Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
bh241
EOC Rank: Iron
2006 4WD EX-P AT
Alabaster Silver Metallic (ASM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertz View Post
I had U-Haul install an extension for trailer lights in my spare tire compartment using the factory pre-installed harness. Initially, the lights worked fine, then after a few months, all lights were out. The U-Haul folks checked their work with a voltmeter and said its fine, that there had to be a problem "upstream", e.g. a fuse.
Sadly Bob, The U-Haul guys had to put a fuse in somewhere, or they tapped directly into the existing wiring for the tail lights.

The "OEM harness" you're talking about only runs from the spare tire area to under the drivers seat, there are no fuses or even a source of +12v at all.

IF the harness had been OEM, there would be a single fuse mounted in the side panel just as described in the link that Dom.five posted. Plus the fuse in the Under Hood Fuse/Relay Box. (Yes, a total or two fuses)

Since this is something U-Haul did, it's pretty much a WAG as to what they did, no one is going to be able to say where or even if there is a fuse.

Best advice I can give would be to start tracing wiring, look for any inline fuse or even a "small black box'.

Best of luck. Please keep everyone posted on your progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Making the world a better place, one Saint at a time.

Mods for the EOC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

bh241 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
robertz
EOC Rank: Hydrogen
2006 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Quote:
thanks, I will. I'm thinking I'll go with a harness from H&A, and try installing myself. I'm feeling less defeated today. I don't think the link that UHaul ran off of is designed to tolerate the load, as biocube suggested.

thanks to all
Bob
robertz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #13
robertz
2006 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Quote:
DONE!
I got the harness from H&A, installed it, and it worked fine.
Why I had lights for my boat trailer immediately after UHaul tied into the "spare" vehicle harness in the back left spare tire compartment is beyond me. But I did. There must be some low amp circuit that I'm not going to pull my wiring apart to find, and it must have blown.

If anyone comes upon this thread in the future, wondering about getting UHaul to install some trailer wiring on their 2006 E, here's the lesson:

DON'T DO IT!

Get the Honda kit at H&A, and do it yourself.

The other lesson:

Dom is a really great guy! This whole community is very welcoming and helpful, but holy cripes, if there were more Doms in this world we'd all be better off.

Thanks to all.
Bob

Old 11-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #14
Rocket Dog
EOC Rank: Nitrogen
2004 4WD LX AT
Satin Silver Metallic (SSM)

I had UHaul install my hitch and harness and they did a great job of it. It was a big outfit in Virginia Beach, recommended by Lifeizgood, and the installer had 4 years of experience and had installed several Elements before mine.

These factors contributed to my comfort level but I certainly would not trust the work to a smaller UHaul or an inexperienced installer. In hindsight I could have done the work myself but have no regrets.

- Ted

Rocket Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #15
robertz
2006 4WD LX MT
Royal Blue Pearl (RBP)

Quote:
I had UHaul install my hitch and harness and they did a great job of it.
Did they use the Honda-manufactured kit (which would be fine), or did they simply tie into the harness in the spare tire compartment without installing the connector between dash and under driver's seat?
Old 01-09-2017, 01:18 AM   #16
gehmann2005@earthlink.net

Wink 2 fuses are standard for aftermarket install

My trailer light harness on my '06 EX-P just shorted out and blew both fuses. I replaced the faulty harness and then went after the fuses. The first fuse (5A) was located in a fuse holder that looks like a cubical piece of white plastic that is on the end of some wires and can be found hanging down to the left of the cabin fuse block just above the clutch pedal. This fuse holder had been tucked up high under the dash and I had to dig around to find it and pull it down to where it coulld be accessed for fuse replacement. The second fuse (7.5A) is located in the fuse block that is under the hood. Apparently any "open" fuse insert can be used for the install, but mine uses the #8 position (per the owners manual). Why they both blew out at once, who knows. My trailer light system was installed by a non-U-Haul rental yard.
Advertisement

Honda Element Owners Club Forum > Accessories, Care and Mods > Mobile Electronics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Element Owners Club Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Model Year
What year is your E?
Model
What model is your E?
Color
What color is your E?
Can you spell?
What letter in the alphabet is the fifth character of the word "Honda Element"
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.