Honda Element Owners Club banner

A/C and fan control lights

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  KoolBlue 
#1 ·
Hey all - I just had an aftermarket radio installed and I think they didn't put my E back together correctly... I could have sworn the fan speed and hot/cold indicator lit up... but cannot for the life of me remember if they used to; but it sure seems dark in that area. Can anybody confirm that they should light up so I can go back to the audio place and ask them what happened!!

Photos attached of what I'm seeing

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Yes, they should all light up.

The fact that several, but not all, of the bulbs are out seems to indicate that the wiring was disturbed during the stereo installation. The best-case scenario is that reseating the connectors at the back of the HVAC panel will fix the problem. Worst case is that the circuit board has been damaged and will need to be replaced. (I suppose also that there is a possibility that three bulbs burned out before you noticed, but that seems remote.)

When you turn on the recirculation and a/c, do those indicator lights go on?

You'll find some good background information in this thread.

#4 · (Edited)
List for 79629-SCV-A01 is $10.85; for 79629-S3V-A01, $4.90. Online prices are lower, though shipping cost means you'd only be ahead if the bulbs were part of a larger order. If you're handy, inexpensive aftermarket bulbs can work, provided the leads are long enough.

If this were my car, the first thing I'd do is pull the HVAC control unit and reseat the bulbs and connectors, and see what happened.

#5 ·
PS , these bulbs are not found in your corner auto parts stores or wal-mart . A trip to the dealer for any car make for these bulbs is a must or buy on line ........ Sure you can get headlight , brake , turn and marker bulbs are readily available , but pedestal dash and HVAC bulbs I've found to be dealer only . Even they have to order them and heck yeah , from $5 to $15 for these little puppies is highway robbery , looks like you have 3 out , 2@10 and 1@5 = 25 , you can eat @ Applebees for that .
Aftermarket bulbs (radioshack) (grain of wheat) are just not worth the trouble . Too much work .

Hope they just forgot to reseat them ......

#9 ·
One of mine just went out. Taping on it made it work for a few days and now it's just out. I'm just responding so I can find this thread again with the part numbers in case I don't just order from the dealer. They may have it in stock if it's something that is used in a lot of cars. I have replaced thse little bulbs in older (90's) Hondas. Some LED's would be a better solution since they last almost forever.

#11 ·
did anyone ever use LED replacement bulbs for the light behind the AC/fan control? Also how do you go about replacing the bulb. I didnt really try to take anything apart on my E yet, so figured i'll ask before i start playing around. Can i just pull the knob off or do i have to rip apart the dash like i was taking out the radio?

#12 ·
did anyone ever use LED replacement bulbs for the light behind the AC/fan control? Also how do you go about replacing the bulb. I didnt really try to take anything apart on my E yet, so figured i'll ask before i start playing around. Can i just pull the knob off or do i have to rip apart the dash like i was taking out the radio?

Follow the link in post #2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.